NITECORE -- Keep Innovating        
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best EDC flashlight that you can depend on and why..

Default Best EDC flashlight that you can depend on and why..

What is the best Everyday Carry (EDC) flashlight that you can depend on and why did you choose that one?

Let us assume for this that price is NOT an issue. If you had an unlimited supply of money which flashlight would you choose to EDC.

HDS Systems Flashlight.

Reasons: sealed from the elements - water, sleet, snow; an electronic switch that is dependable, durable, and quiet; solid and quality construction; potted electronics, programmable lumen levels and features, battery suspended by spring on each terminal end for shock resistance; takes primary and rechargeable batteries.

Also, on Mode Access with the HDS when you are in one Mode you can go directly and immediately to any one of the other three programmed modes without having to waste time cycling through a fixed menu.
    Last edited by RCS1300; 03-13-2019 at 06:43 PM. Reason: add mode access features

Default Re: Best EDC flashlight that you can depend on...

Money isnít an issue?

Iíd still go with a pairing of the Surefire Tactician and a Streamlight Microstream. I have yet to find a task that canít be covered by these two lights, and they have been able to handle all of my abuse with barely a scratch!

I donít need fancy things...I just need them to work; and this pair sure does work!

Another vote for surefire, Iíve had dozens of them over the years, still do, everything from hand held to weapon lights and Iíve never had a failure or even an issue with one. They just work and have proven reliable!

I'd go with my surefire EDCL1-T. Best UI ever, favorite beam profile and brightness settings of any light, pocket carry, built like a tank, utterly reliable.

unlimited money something made of titanium likely a haiku or klarus

EDCL1T plus keyring Titan A.

Never let me down. Neither did the predecessors: E1D, L1, LX2, G2L, 6PL, 6P heck all of em dead reliable.
    "Tint is within the eye of the beholder." - WoodsWalker

If and when durability + reliability are the criteria, I choose Peak (for small flashlights) and Malkoff (for medium and large) flashlights.

Why ? Because I have had the least problems with those particular makers, after lots of experience with lots of brands.

Now, do I sometimes "EDC" other brands ? I do, because sometimes differences in other features outweigh the absolute best durability and reliability ... and, for me, I usually have multiple backup sources of lighting readily available.
    ... is the archimedes peak

My #1 EDC with me 23/7 for about 5 years now. Photon Freedom Covert. Has not failed me. I did do a Yuji LED mod which is nice. So no matter how many Billions you have, I would always have this light. Reliability+Durability+Affordability+Practicality+ UI that was way ahead of it's time and still relevant today.

Gotta go with Peak and Malkoff also. Malkoff AA gets mostly nightstand duty but do enjoy carrying it sometimes. Peak mostly. Both simple, reliable and about as rugged as you can get.

I can buy whatever I want. I chose the Titan+.

Small enough to fit in the watch pocket of jeans. If I need a little extra brightness in a AAA it's got it, and I like the finish and feel.

As much as I love HDS Iím going to have to say Malkoff. MD2 or his other small carry lights. Hds are great light but WAY to much electronic stuff going on in there. They are tough no questions but there is a lot that can and does go wrong with them. A MD2 has a tube a potted LED and a readily field repair switch. Ainít no elf in a Malkoff.
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

Quote Originally Posted by thermal guy View Post
    .... A MD2 has a tube a potted LED and a readily field repair switch. Ainít no elf in a Malkoff.
    I even have a couple of twisty-tube Malkoff hosts, so no switch to fail.

Your all set then!
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

Quote Originally Posted by thermal guy View Post
    Your all set then!
    Keep calm and open box in case of emergency

Hmmm... I EDC a light for work every night, and have for years, and because I don't buy a lot of lights, I'm free to purchase any light I feel is the best tool for my particular needs, and that has been a Zebralight for the past 10 years or so, currently the ZL SC600 Mk IV+, or, when I want the absolutely smallest light that still fits my needs, the ZL SC62w.

I'm looking for the best balance between size, weight, reliability, ease of use, versatility, runtime, and beam profile, and the SC600 seems to balance all those requirements perfectly for my needs.

It's nice that we have so many great lights to choose from when selecting our own personal EDC.

Flashaholic*

I have to agree with Archimedes. Peak and Malkoff. Potted electronics and simple, effective design.

I do, of course carry other lights at times also. I have a Ti foursevens 1xcr123 that I put a Nichia in. I have to give it pocket time, and sometimes you really need to go back to an Incan.

But for dependability, the aforementioned pair. Peak and Malkoff.
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.
    -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Vemice View Post
    Gotta go with Peak and Malkoff also. Malkoff AA gets mostly nightstand duty but do enjoy carrying it sometimes. Peak mostly. Both simple, reliable and about as rugged as you can get.
    The peak is a nice light! Iím on my second copper one, only because I lost the first. Never let me down

At this point I've used a Zebralight H600 variant for much more time than any other lights.
    Had one go bad while breaking it in during the first days of warranty, no issues ever from the other 6.
    My H600w MK II gets used everyday and night all the time, whenever I need light even for a second or two, and it only takes a second to pull out from where it stays clipped in front pocket, a second to clip it back.
    Reliable as a Bic, and handing it off to someone to use is no big deal, neither is dropping or scratching it.
    Last edited by eh4; 03-13-2019 at 07:34 PM.
    The brighter the light, the darker the shadow.

I've had multiple nitecore/klarus/jetbeam lights over the years. My current edc is a nitecore MH12GTS. Super bright, long throw and USB rechargeable is perfect for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Tixx View Post
    My #1 EDC with me 23/7 for about 5 years now. Photon Freedom Covert. Has not failed me. I did do a Yuji LED mod which is nice. So no matter how many Billions you have, I would always have this light. Reliability+Durability+Affordability+Practicality+ UI that was way ahead of it's time and still relevant today.
    +1 Not quite 5 years, but it's constantly with me on a neck chain. My Freedom has survived a lot of surf, chop and sand.

Flashaholic

Default Re: Best EDC flashlight that you can depend on and why..

Quote Originally Posted by RCS1300 View Post

Also, on Mode Access with the HDS when you are in one Mode you can go directly and immediately to any one of the other three programmed modes without having to waste time cycling through a fixed menu.
    I don't think this is exactly correct. If I am in Preset D (low), I can go directly to Preset A or B, but not C. In order to get to C, I have to cycle through B. In other words, only in Preset B do you have direct access to all three other levels.

But I still think HDS is the best clicky UI out there.
    Last edited by lion504; 03-14-2019 at 07:18 AM.

Crazy how times change. There was a time HDS would be first on most peopleís list including myself. Now they tend to be a backup to a primary light. Guess it show how much quality and dependably others companies have gotten. Good for us.

Quote Originally Posted by lion504 View Post
    I don't think this is exactly correct. If I am in Preset D (low), I can go directly to Preset A or B, but not C. In order to get to C, I have to cycle through B. In other words, only in Preset B do you have direct access to all three other levels.

Enable the mode memory (or force preset, or disable preset, or whatever it's called). If you're in Preset D and double click, it will take you back to B or C, whichever was last used. Sound complicated at first, but it's easy street for me now.
    ďMay it be a light to you in dark places, when all other lights go out.Ē
    J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Modernflame View Post
    Enable the mode memory (or force preset, or disable preset, or whatever it's called). If you're in Preset D and double click, it will take you back to B or C, whichever was last used. Sound complicated at first, but it's easy street for me now.
    Good point. I forgot about this. But I believe my main point, which was that the HDS UI doesn't permit direct access to all Presets, is still accurate. I think this statement is more accurate:

"The user always gets direct access 3 of 4 presets: A, D, and B or C, depending on which was last used."

Do you agree? [I would love to be wrong on this, as it's the only thing I would want to improve.]

On the Executive (not programmed):

Preset A: Maximum
    Preset B: Medium
    Preset C: Medium High
    Preset D: Low

If you are on Preset D, to get to Preset C click two times.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by RCS1300 View Post
    On the Executive (not programmed):

Preset A: Maximum
    Preset B: Medium
    Preset C: Medium High
    Preset D: Low

If you are on Preset D, to get to Preset C click two times.
    How do you get to Preset B then?

Good point. I forgot about this. But I believe my main point..
    Your main point is correct.

Sorry, I didn't mean to derail this thread into another HDS sub forum discussion. Maybe we could pick this up there? Back to the main topic, I only use HDS and Malkoff flashlights. While my collection could theoretically be enlarged, these will continue to be the brands I trust.
    ďMay it be a light to you in dark places, when all other lights go out.Ē
    J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

Question. What could go wrong with Malkoff high/low ring? And if it did go belly up would the light still work? The reason I ask is because no way would I have a tool to remove it in the field and if thereís a chance that It could fail and take the light out of action I need to to start thinking of a solution.

How do you get to Preset B then?

To get to preset B from Preset D. Click once, wait a second, click once again.

If the high/ low ring goes wonky (dirt?), it would probably be stuck on one of the modes. For an absolutely, reliable Malkoff, I think a twisty host with an M61 drop-in would probably be the ticket.

For my use, an HDS with Malkoff as backup would be my choice(s)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast