Poop Light

GonzoF1

Newly Enlightened
I discussed this over on Reddit, but thought it was time to bring it over here.

I want to get a good light to present to my wife to take the dog out to poop (or maybe walks after dark). Based on her previous requests, I originally bought two Jetstream E10R (one for home, one for the boat)... But she doesn't like it because she can't easily find the button (it's now my EDC :). We have a couple of Streamlights from Home Cheap-O that she kinda likes. Both have tail buttons only. One is a fixed focus and one is a zoomie. Unfortunately, between the two, she seems to gravitate to the zoomie, however, she has now taken to grabbing my Wowtech A1 when it is lying around... but honestly, I want that one back in my man-bag :) I saw the Emisar D4 the other day with its big rubber side button, but I think that is too much power for this application. I would like in-light recharging... she wants an easy-to-find button, simple UI with a few different light levels, maybe a tail switch(?), a zoom if possible or medium flood with a bright center, however I know how this community seems to dislike zoomers. Price isn't much of an issue. Certainly don't want to spend more than $100 on one if I can help it... well... because I will probably want to get two <see above>

What say ye?

THANKS Y'ALL!

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think you need a Hi CRI light to enhance the lustrous brown colours of your dog turds.
As far as zoomies go Xtar have just brought one out. It's a WK007 and looks to be a lot better (not difficult) than the other zoomies out there.
P

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Assuming a second Wowtac for her is out of the question....

Thrunite (Wowtac's sister company) has several in-light rechargeable versions from mild to wild outputs and side buttons.

Last edited:

Dubois

Enlightened
Get a head torch - much easier to pick up the mess without having to hold onto a flashlight.

hjkl

Newly Enlightened
No specific recommendation, but I would also suggest a headtorch/headlamp. Even better if it is a right angle light so that it could be used as a hand light, head light, or even set down to illuminate an area, thus leaving both hands free for the leash and collection device.

If not a head lamp, then a neck lanyard on the tailcap of a standard flashlight. Using it as such would allow the light to point at the ground when you bend over to clean up.

PartyPete

Enlightened
Poop light? Is this a niche tool like the poop knife? [emoji28]

For walking the dog is guess it depends on your preferences. For a single small dog a handheld light would be fine but larger or multiple dogs a headlamp would be ideal.

I have two medium-sized dogs myself. For quick walks outside a hand held flashlight is fine but longer walks their leashes tend to get twisted up and ideally I need both hands free to deal with them.

I think a headlamp is really a best solution but for those times I can't be bothered to strap one to my head a regular is usually fine for a quick walk outside.

GonzoF1

Newly Enlightened
She won't go for a headlamp at all. 99% of the time it's just out to the backyard. And only a single dog.

A second Wowtech A1 isn't out of the question, but dang, do I want her to have as cool a light as... oh nevermind :) I will take a look at Peter's options.

Any other large side button lights you can think of?

bykfixer

Flashaholic
A zoomie Streamlight from Home Depot? Hmmmm....

What you really need is a Malkoff MD2 with a hi/lo ring in neutral flavor.

$125+ going in but you will know where your money went.

GonzoF1

Newly Enlightened
After informing her of this thread, she said, "I prefer the tail buttons."

Soooo... new direction: Tail buttons only please.

GonzoF1

Newly Enlightened
A zoomie Streamlight from Home Depot? Hmmmm....

What you really need is a Malkoff MD2 with a hi/lo ring in neutral flavor.

$125+ going in but you will know where your money went.

Sorry... A Lux-Pro... and probably from Lowe's :ohgeez:

I like the Malkoff... Never seen it before. I don't understand why they don't come with drivers, though. Still, I might get one for me and give her the Wowtech... Oh hell,. Who am I kidding.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
A Mag ML25 might work, they're twistys so there's no buttons and they focus is adjustable (very throwy when its dialed in). You can run them on AA eneloops pretty easy with AA to C adapters, I also run mine on 18650's in 3D printed adapters.

If a tail cap button is a must maybe one of the 1200 lumen 3C Defiants from Home Depot would do the trick?, these are very bright but floody.

Last edited:

PJ

Enlightened
Olight R20? 3 levels, always starts on high, tailcap switch and built in charging.
I believe it can also use a standard 18650 battery but the built in charge doesn't work with them.

GoVegan

Enlightened

GonzoF1

Newly Enlightened
Thanks y'all! I am really liking the Coast HX5 and the Olight R20 options. I am sure I am over-thinking this whole thing, but hey... this is part of the fun I guess. :)

Last edited:

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been using a Coast HX5 daily powered by a NiMh for over a year for assorted daily needs and find it quite versatile for many duties.

I don't do poop duty, so I can't address it's use for that.