Multiple Luxeon mod theory

DaMeatMan

Newly Enlightened
Hey guy's, i was on my way to school this morning half asleep as ussual, when it suddenly came to me. This is kind of hard to explain but here goes. I had envisioned a light with several luxeon led's all of which would be mounted to a converging light collector. Now what i mean by this is as follows:

........ | |
........ | |
....... / | \
...... / / \ \
...... e .. e

Now i know that might look odd but here is what i'm getting at, the two e's are the emitters positioned under a collection tube of sorts (like fiber optics) to gather the light from both or several emitters and converge the light to one small point source at the top, the top would have it's own small optic like a luxeon to create an even lambertian style spread of light. Now i don't know much about optics and the science behind it, but would it be possible to create such a setup? I understand that you would likely loose some light in the process but say you had 6 or so luxeons in there pumping out all they could muster through one small single point source, wouldn't that make for a killer beam when used with a nice reflector? I would love to hear from you guy's, i know there is a wealth of knowledge and a combined IQ much larger then Bill Gates wealth in here /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif so tell me what you think.

Bye the way, ignore all the periods in the diagram.. it seems the msg board won't allow me to post all those spaces without messing up the diagram. If that diagram is really confusing people and you can't make out what i'm trying to explain then i'll post a sketch later

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
put code tags around your drawing, then it will let you keep spaces in there (and uses a proportional font too).

Sounds reasonable enough - if you find the right materials for the light tubes and whatnot.

Do it, and let us know how it works out /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder how much light would be lost in transmission. But it's a good idea. I can see a array of 3x3 LS all converging into 1 single tube of super high output.

DaMeatMan

Newly Enlightened
Ya it seems as if it would work rather nicely and currently i have not heard of anyone trying something like this. Unfortunately i do not have the means to construct such a device to test myself. I'm wondering if anyone out there would like to take the challenge of building such an array? With enough luxeons in there i'm sure you could blow away all other current luxeon based LED lights.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
I don't think that light pipes (which seems to be the most economical method to do what you're thinking of) are all that efficient - they're typically used in situations where efficiency isn't all that important such as accent lighting or indicators.

...but I could be wrong.

It also seems that what you're trying to do could be accomplished with the right reflector/optic combination.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Come up with a system that collects the light for one Luxeon and doing it in multiples will follow. I think you might find this much more difficult than you think. It takes real estate. Short of a large reflector or optic, we can't seem to concentrate the light of a single 5W Luxeon as "tight" as we would like. I think your best bet is to determine an optic system for a single Luxeon that gives you the beam you want and then cluster these systems.

evanlocc

Enlightened
In no compromise to the original post!

How about using a laser light and a special len to magnifing the laser. Is the throw still there? Or multiple laser light !!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

LEDMANIA

Newly Enlightened
Hello Dameatman,
Your idea is fine and quite unique in its class as a flashlight, but this concept could serve as radical departure from the realm of "EDCness". Besides,It might be more expensive because of thicker fiber optics as the medium of light transmission.It's a nice try /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif
--------------
Peter Gransee said; "Just Inovate and not Litigate" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Latest posts