FourSevens        
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HDS Systems - Golden Dragon LED emitter....

Default Re: HDS Systems - Golden Dragon LED emitter....

Had a chance to use the Golden Dragon LED Emitter on two different 45 minute dog walks last night and pre-dawn this morning. Wow! That emitter/reflector combination really punches out a hot spot. Spectacular is a word I would use to describe the focused beam of the light. It is not high CRI.

My HDS High CRI 219B 5700 R9050 High Noon light has as much lumen output but the hot spot is more diffuse so the light beam is not as focused. The Golden Dragon light beam might reach out a few more yards of distance but nothing more than slightly noticeable. The headline with the Golden Dragon is the hot spot beam focus. It is nice. See photo in post #22.

I will be moving to a new LED emitter. It will almost certainly be the High Noon High CRI but I am still looking at Dan's special sourced XP-G3 for the focused beam.
    Last edited by RCS1300; 03-17-2019 at 05:18 AM.

Thank you for your feedback. As a "user" light, I understand you want to change to a newer emitter (even if I'd personally wait for new offerings in the HDS lineup). After all, I don't use my GD+ ! Just turn it on from time to time and awe with nostalgia But more modern emitter see most of the work, since my HDS is better suited at close distance.

I don't know what emitter the reflector was originally designed for, HDS started with Luxeon emitters, then Seoul P4 in the Novatacs, and then for a while you had a choice of narrow beam (with GD and GD+ leds) and wider beams (Seoul P4). Then the P4 were replaced with XP-G, and the GD+ subsisted for a while.

Hogo said he threw away recently a full reel of emitters, I'd be curious to know what kind, GD+, XP-G ?

I have yet to try a Luminous SST-20 emitter in a modern HDS reflector, but maybe that could do a 325 with longer range in low CRI ? A modern replacement for the GD+.
    Last edited by Lithium466; 03-17-2019 at 10:01 AM.

A GD+ Hyper Red emitter is an option. I’m happy how mine turned out.

I'm rather late to the party, but I just obtained my first HDS light in a trade; an RA clicky with a GD emitter at 140 lumens. I'm still getting used to the UI, but have the operating instructions to look at and review. The tint looks a bit bluish, but when I compare the beam side by side with my SF E1L, it looks whiter, with EDC E1L looking a nasty greenish-yellow, which I don't normally notice, so I'm sure I'll get used to it. The light is more compact than I realized. I might look for an extension tube for this 3rd gen. Ra, but almost all of my lights can use Li-ions, so if I have no luck finding an extra tube, I will probably just keep this a primary-dedicated light. Focused hotspot with a smooth transition to spill. This is an old model, but I'm thankful to have it.

You can use a 16340 in the Clicky, or do you mean that you specifically want to use 18650? I reckon 18650 tubes are like Hen's teeth, and I've never heard that they made extensions, sadly.

P
    "O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!" He chortled in his joy.

18650 tubes fir legacy lights are rare, but maybe you'd find a 17670 👍

Thank you both for your suggestions! I'm aware that I could use a 16340, but I do wonder about runtime. I picked up one of the 17670 tubes for $5 years ago at lighthound, but it is the earlier version with 36 tpi. Time to do a WTB for a 24 tpi tube.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12