Combining blue and green led light.

sotto

Flashlight Enthusiast
Messing around with my two Streamlight Stylus's just now (a blue and a green one), I made a minor discovery. I like the blue one for it's fluorescing qualities, and the green for it's general overall brightness. But the two together is significantly greater than the sum of it's parts, and I wish there were a light that combined the two sources. Any thoughts on doing that in the same light short of taping my two Stylus's side-by-side? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

gwbaltzell

Enlightened
There are certain advantages to a single cyan (blue-green) LED but I don't think its available in Streamlight Stylus. And while some daylight fluorescent materials will glow under this color many that glow under your blue will not. I think Rigel Systems makes a light with two LEDs and has an intesisty adjustment.

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
gwbaltzell said:
There are certain advantages to a single cyan (blue-green) LED but I don't think its available in Streamlight Stylus. And while some daylight fluorescent materials will glow under this color many that glow under your blue will not.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right, although we will see a combination of blue and green as cyan - that is not quite the same as a mono-color/wavelength cyan light - even though both conditions will excite the blue and green receptors in our eyes.

The difference comes when the light is reflected by objects we are looking at - the combination light is actually made up of blue light and green light - whereas the cyan is a single mono-color light.

I did an informal experiment in combining color LED lights in this thread -

LED Colors and Vision (pics)

I showed that "yellow" when made up with a combination of red and green was not the same as a mono-color yellow - I believe the same would be true of blue+green Vs. Cyan.

BlueS.jpg
CyanS.jpg
GreenS.jpg