Anybody seen these yet?

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think I saw these at the PX at the Army base I visit every now and then. I can check for prices this friday/Saturday if needed.

stephenanderson2

Newly Enlightened
no, just sharing with everybody /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif
Nice review Craig! I guess I'm a little late on finding these, though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

DaveT

Enlightened
Mikhail - not much comparison between a Glowring X2 and a Glo-toob. I have an X2 (green), and it emits enough light that you can find it in a dark room. In a pitch dark room, it puts out enough light that I can read about 2 lines of text if I lay it down on the page. If I were dark adapted, I could probably see more. So, you can see it, but it doesn't really kick out a circle of light.
The Glo-toob, on low, is much brighter. Puts out a circle of light - I could see the floor in about a 3-foot circle as I held it in my bathroom. I could have read a magazine by its light. And on high - well, it's a lot brighter than that. That said, it's still not a flashlight - maybe it's a weak, tiny lamp? In the end, as with the X2, it's designed to be seen, not to see with.
I don't have a Krill, so I can't compare - sorry.
Dave

Streak

Enlightened
I have both Krills and Glo-Toobs.
The Krills come out with 2 models, the standard and the Xtreme which is twice as bright.
The Krill use EL technology and the Glo-Toobs use LED's. Hence the Glo-Toobs are quite a lot brighter and can be seen from very far away. In fact the other night at a traffic accident, a colleague mine used one in his hand to be seen and to direct traffic with.

The Krills are very energy efficient and run on available AA's, we use them as night lights for the children when wer are away from home, the Glo-toobs are too bright!!

Divers complained that the standard model was too bright while under water and so then came the FX whith it's multimode settings to reduce brightness and flashing.

The Glo-Toobs are pretty indestructable and can take a lot of abuse, the Krills are quite fragile.

So although they are both electronic replacements for chemical light sticks they go about doing this in very different ways.

Of course being South African I will be slightly biased as the Glo-Toobs were developed here in SA just down the road from me!!

stephenanderson2

Newly Enlightened
Oh boy, now I have to buy ANOTHER light /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Zelandeth

Flashlight Enthusiast
Had my eye one one of the originals for a while now...still not got around to getting one though. Can't quite justify the expense for something that I need for no other reason than I think it's a cool thing to have!