Risky "noodling" catfish - Southern CPF'ers understand

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Re: Risky \"noodling\" catfish - Southern CPF\'ers understand

Oh baby! That's some group of meals there! Get out the corn meal batter, hush puppies, honey/butter, & coleslaw to go with those!

Patrick Hayes

Newly Enlightened

Ienjoyed how it says cat as big as men are an urban legend and then goes on to say they can grow to 10 feet and 650 lbs. LOL

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast

Just keep in mind snapping turtles like the same type of hiding places as catfish and even a large cat can put the hurt on the 5 bait sticks attached to your palm."Noodling for timber rattlers" has as much appeal for me

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast

Saw a TV show on Noodling on my local PBS station about 2-3 months ago.

I wasn't sure what to say, it looks wacky but if that the best way to get the big ones so be it. I'd have to be starving and w/o fishing tackle before I'd try it though.

GregR

dtrego

Newly Enlightened
Re: Risky \"noodling\" catfish - Southern CPF\'ers u

For those interested, check www.okienoodling.com - I'm guessing this is the show that Double_A saw, since it was funded by the Corporation for Public Broadcasting. Very interesting piece of Americana that I didn't know existed until recently, but not something this non-fisherman is wanting to run out and try!

- Dwayne

Chengiz

Enlightened

I believe they use a different term for it in Tennessee. My room marte was from the Knoxville area and he talked about that all the time. Claimed he had some family members with missing appendages. He was a great friend, I don't think he would have about this, but duuuude. It does make as much sense as noodling for timber rattlers.

raggie33

*the raggedier*

maybe that is what ran into me one day at lake scared me good

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for the link dtrego, I just ordered the DVD. I love this kind of stuff. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Anyone who has ever caught a tuna should check this one out.

A tribute to Tuna

Amazing documentary that shows how it used to be done before Loran, GPS, huge nets, etc. Talk about working for a living! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Peter

DLG

Newly Enlightened

Had a Canadian doctor years ago tell me about ticklin' for trout. Similar idea as "noodling" I'd guess.

Also while in the Army at Redstone Arsenal in Alabama, we fiddle'd for worms to catch Tennesee River catfish. Being a northern boy born and raised in Chicago, I'd never heard of let alone seen fiddlin'. Worked fine. Caught a few fish too!

dtrego

Newly Enlightened

I believe that the Okie Noodling DVD had an interview with someone originally from TN who said the TN term was "grappling". I'd check, but my DVD is making the rounds at work - you wouldn't believe how many geeks want to see it (especially since they can borrow it for free from the geek that bought it!) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

- Dwayne

Negeltu

Enlightened

Don't forget losing a few fingers to beavers... beaver lodges are good places for noodlin'

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast

Got the video, watched it, enjoyed it very much. If you're a fisherman, you'll enjoy it too. I have the once viewed DVD available for $10 shipped in USA. Send me a PM if interested.

Peter