332 Lumen AA Maglite

Jeepster04

Newly Enlightened
I've always been a maglite user and always will be. As a kid growing up in the 90's it was 'the thing' as LED hadn't really taken off. While maglite was catching up I got out of flash lights and/or used coast LED flash lights but Ive sat those back on the shelf.

Anyway, while traveling out of state I found a 332 lumen AA maglite at a walmart in Alabama for $20. I already had the 100 lumen that has the different modes (high, low, flash, and maybe SOS?) and the 272 PRO. Haven't been able to find anything about the 332 on the interwebs nor does maglite have it on their website.

Thought it was kinda neat, they just put a sticker over the 272 packaging. Also, is there a way to tell what you have by looking at the serial number?

FN5FDvj.jpg

jpYFlgr.jpg

MlBBbWQ.jpg

wCuAq4j.jpg

RobertMM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice catch, at a IMHO great price!
Over 7k Cd and 330 lumens for a 2AA light is great n9t just for us enthusiasts but for others who can use no nonsense equipment they can buy and use(provided they stay away from alkaleaks).

What does the LED looke like?

Jeepster04

Newly Enlightened
I've only got an iphone to take pics and the pic I have showing the light on a wall looks horrible... Its a nice white light.

They had black and gray and I purchased both. A friend wanted one and I kept the black one.

Black is the 332, silver is the 272, and the gray is the 100.

InvisibleFrodo

Enlightened
I think it's awesome that they waited until the technology enabled the brightness increase without a sacrifice in run time. Streamlight seems to do the same, and I think that's a great way to do it. I always think it's weird when a light gets "upgraded" to be brighter, but sacrifices run time to get it.

Are you able to take a picture of the model number from the package? After searching I'm finding very little information on the web. However, Granger does appear to have a similar model that says 332 lumens but the picture shows the old 272 Lumen version. Model number is the same as the old Maglite SP2P01HK.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like the Pro Plus was bumped up to 351 lumens.

Jeepster04

Newly Enlightened
Are you able to take a picture of the model number from the package? After searching I'm finding very little information on the web. However, Granger does appear to have a similar model that says 332 lumens but the picture shows the old 272 Lumen version. Model number is the same as the old Maglite SP2P01HK.

Its the same as the 272 since the packaging is for the 272.

Model: SP2P01H
Part #: 155-000-026

Where did you see the pro + xxo?

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow! Certainly beats the ~9 lumens of the original! And at the same run time to boot!

I'd be curious to see the tint though as I've never been a big fan of Mag's extremely cool white tints. Some even have a shade of blue I just can't dig.

Also, I'm willing to bet those ram down pretty aggressively which may be alright because as you'r eyes adjust you really don't need a sustained 300 lumens but it would be nice to know how much. There is little to no heat sinking in these so I'm almost certain they won't be a sustained 300 lumens.

Mag has certainly come a long way and I don't wanna ask too much from them but how about some modes? IMHO that would make the light much more useful. For $20 though I don't think ya can be too picky. Nice job Mag!!!

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I'm going to guess the runtime of this upgraded light dropped about 8-10% while the output went up similarly due to using a lower VF LED and not redesigning the circuitry (adjusting components to compensate). I believe the upgrade is about 18% increase and think half of the is increase in efficiency the other half a lower Vf of the LED compared to previous LEDs. If the Low mode also increased in output similarly this would verify that a driver change wasn't made.

Frijid

Enlightened
Also, I'm willing to bet those ram down pretty aggressively which may be alright because as you'r eyes adjust you really don't need a sustained 300 lumens but it would be nice to know how much. There is little to no heat sinking in these so I'm almost certain they won't be a sustained 300 lumens.

Do you mean that as in the light starts out bright, and gradually dims down in lumens? This may explain the "problem" I had with a 272 lumen led mini mag. My EDC used to be the original 4 mode led mini mag, but after having several fail in about a year apiece, I decided to opt for the 272 mini mag. I was already high strung about the failure rate of the 2 others that had failed and decided to try out the 272 as a last resort. I bought it and took it home and put some energizer alkalines in it (both tested 100% on my ZTS meter) and tried it out just for a few seconds. The next day I pulled it out and ran it for about 3 minutes looking at a tooth I've got ready to come out. While I was using it, I noticed it had dimmed a little but from when I first turned it on. The head of the light was a little warm. Thinking it was my eyes playing tricks on me with it being used around my eyes to look in my mouth, I turned it off and gave my eyes about an hour to "reset" themselves. I then went out back with it to go for a little walk to try it out again. I turned it on and it was super bright. And as before, after about 3 or so minutes I noticed it started to dim down a little bit. Still way brighter than the 98 lumens original led mini mag I had, but enough to notice it wasn't as bright as when I first turned it on. The head was a little warm and the batteries were a little warm. From where I was so worked up about the other lights, I just went scorched earth against maglite, thinking the light was junk and half tempted to throw it over the hill in the tall weeds. But I never got to thinking about it, til you just mentioned this. Also might had some to do with the high resistance in alkaline batteries. Might have been better with l91 AA or eneloops.

Last edited:

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I spent last weekend helping a friend at his new house. The light i gave him for his daughter who works nights was acting glitchy so i gave him my klarus st12 so she could throw in 2 cr123's and never think about it again. He was so happy with the brightness of it he gave me a rose colored minimag still in the package. Like a kid on Christmas, I ripped the package to pieces and threw in some AA lithium's he had. There was no lanyard or holster in the blister pack. What I'm trying to get at is does anyone know if this is a 272 or 332 version, because the package is now 80 miles away if it's not in a landfill by now. I believe it came from a target store.

I apologize if it seems like I'm railroading/hijacking/undermining your thread.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I spent last weekend helping a friend at his new house. The light i gave him for his daughter who works nights was acting glitchy so i gave him my klarus st12 so she could throw in 2 cr123's and never think about it again. He was so happy with the brightness of it he gave me a rose colored minimag still in the package. Like a kid on Christmas, I ripped the package to pieces and threw in some AA lithium's he had. There was no lanyard or holster in the blister pack. What I'm trying to get at is does anyone know if this is a 272 or 332 version, because the package is now 80 miles away if it's not in a landfill by now. I believe it came from a target store.

I apologize if it seems like I'm railroading/hijacking/undermining your thread.

Hard to say w/o the packaging, though the rose gold colored Pros seems pretty new, so you might well have the 332 lumen version even if the packaging was for the 272 lumen version (depending on exactly when Mag made the change). You could compare it side by side with a 272 lumen Pro, the 332 lumen version is noticeably brighter when compared this way.

BTW, there should have been a holster under the strip of paper that lists the specs.

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Would there be a special edition for target? I know they have special edition moleskine journals

RobertMM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you mean that as in the light starts out bright, and gradually dims down in lumens? This may explain the "problem" I had with a 272 lumen led mini mag. My EDC used to be the original 4 mode led mini mag, but after having several fail in about a year apiece, I decided to opt for the 272 mini mag. I was already high strung about the failure rate of the 2 others that had failed and decided to try out the 272 as a last resort. I bought it and took it home and put some energizer alkalines in it (both tested 100% on my ZTS meter) and tried it out just for a few seconds. The next day I pulled it out and ran it for about 3 minutes looking at a tooth I've got ready to come out. While I was using it, I noticed it had dimmed a little but from when I first turned it on. The head of the light was a little warm. Thinking it was my eyes playing tricks on me with it being used around my eyes to look in my mouth, I turned it off and gave my eyes about an hour to "reset" themselves. I then went out back with it to go for a little walk to try it out again. I turned it on and it was super bright. And as before, after about 3 or so minutes I noticed it started to dim down a little bit. Still way brighter than the 98 lumens original led mini mag I had, but enough to notice it wasn't as bright as when I first turned it on. The head was a little warm and the batteries were a little warm. From where I was so worked up about the other lights, I just went scorched earth against maglite, thinking the light was junk and half tempted to throw it over the hill in the tall weeds. But I never got to thinking about it, til you just mentioned this. Also might had some to do with the high resistance in alkaline batteries. Might have been better with l91 AA or eneloops.

There was a reviewer back then(LED Resource I think) that posted runtime graphs of the AA LED Mag.

Wait, I found it, link below.

Lack of heatsinking and playing the ANSI game as well as the limitation of the batteries used all play a part in that behavior.

http://www.led-resource.com/2012/02/mini-maglite-pro-and-proplus-led-flashlight-review/

bykfixer

Flashaholic
It was said that Maglite devised a heat sync method for the thousand lumen MagCharger while still using a plastic reflector. Perhaps the idea will carry forward into other lights in time (if it hasn't already).

Now for adapting to the fuel supply cell sag in store bought batteries? Well, I suppose that has yet to be conquered. But Rayovac has some 'fusion' cells out that tout a steadier flow in high drain situations. They're red and black labeled.

Last edited:

Latest posts