Best balanced single 18650 thrower, with low voltage protection.

K2-bk-bl-rd

Flashlight Enthusiast
So, I really like the size and throwy, balanced, beam of the Malkoff hound dog 18650. Unfortunately, it doesn't have low voltage protection, and all of my 18650 cells are unprotected. Does anyone know of a similar sized, durable 18650 thrower, that has a rear tail switch, orange peel reflector, and low voltage protection?

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
because of the market for US made tactical lights being dependent on military and LEO funding, they are CR123 designs

built in protection would be a problem for CR123, so protected LiIon is the way those manufacturers solve the problem (instead of designing a driver, like the Novatac has, that can turn LiIon protection ON, or OFF)

if you want a light with built in LiIon overdischarge protection, that can take unprotected 18650.. a couple that come to mind are Zebra (no tailswitch though), and Boss (no reflector though)

compromises ;-)

Last edited:

K2-bk-bl-rd

Flashlight Enthusiast
I already have a Ti Boss 70. (excellent light for a triple) I also have a Sigma Super Nova that will be built for me soon. It uses a smaller reflector though, so still not quite a thrower. I may have to look closer as some of Vinh's offerings maybe.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Nitecore P30 is a good mid-range thrower with a nice mix of spill and hot spot, but it does not have low-voltage protection. Instead, it does have a built-in battery level function that one can check to see when it is time to change cells.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Without wanting to nuke your excuse for a new light, could you not buy a couple of protected cells? Personally I hate the things and rely on the output dimming to let me know when to change cells. But it's a lot cheaper option and as you say, you like the HD. I'll be surprised if you find something as good.
P

K2-bk-bl-rd

Flashlight Enthusiast
I actually don't own a Malkoff Hound dog 18650, I am just going off what I have heard about it.
I like the ability to use the same cells on multiple lights. Plus, I like the reliability of unprotected cells. I ended up going with a Eagletac G25C2vn with a XPL-HI 4000k. It should give me more throw then the Hound dog, in a slightly more compact light.

Last edited:

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
Without wanting to nuke your excuse for a new light, could you not buy a couple of protected cells? Personally I hate the things and rely on the output dimming to let me know when to change cells. But it's a lot cheaper option and as you say, you like the HD. I'll be surprised if you find something as good.
P

There are drivers that shut themselves off not just dim.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, coudn't stand that. That's as bad as protected cells.
When I got my first Hound Dog and was naive enough to put protected in, I went on a long walk in the dark, when tthe cells died I was left in a blackout.
Got home with my spare, but I've never gone out with protected again.
P

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are drivers that shut themselves off not just dim.

Yup, I like the way Zebralight does it. When the voltage of the cell (under load) drops to about 2.9v (my measurement), the light drops down to low. After that, it will continue to run for hours, while still giving enough light. I've never done it, but it is supposed to eventually turn off completely if the voltage drops to 2.7v. But I presume if there's any rebound in voltage, you might be able to get some more time on a low or moonlight mode.

Yes, coudn't stand that. That's as bad as protected cells.
When I got my first Hound Dog and was naive enough to put protected in, I went on a long walk in the dark, when tthe cells died I was left in a blackout.
Got home with my spare, but I've never gone out with protected again.
P

Yeah, protected is nasty. Goes along great, then boom, you're in the dark. In a multi-cell light, I kind of get it if you're worried about cells not being well matched, but in a single-cell light I've never understood the need for a protected cell.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
So you run unprotected cells in your Hound? How do you know when to turn it off, so you don't damage the cells?
Basically, practice. After a few cycles of use you get to know how long you can run the light, and the voltage of the cells after that use. Also when the cell voltage drops to a specific point the light drops out of regulation and the light gets dimmer.
P

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
So you run unprotected cells in your Hound? How do you know when to turn it off, so you don't damage the cells?

It is not necessary to use protected cells in the Hound Dog 18650. I never have. In three years of owning the HD 18650, I've never over discharged an unprotected cell. The output gradually declines as the battery is discharged. No way you can miss it. I may not trust a muggle with it, but in flashaholic hands, the single 18650 version of the Hound Dog should be quite safe. I would also add that the little PCB on your average protected cell is not worthy of the trust typically invested in it.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think my Neutral XM-L Hound was my first Malkoff, I've bought a few since that one. Simple, great build qulity and fantactic beam.
P