Testing Peak Eiger QTC material on Atom AL

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Atom AL is a battery crusher design with 2 mode reed switch.

Although there is no spring under the battery, I believe the inconsistency is due to the flexible positive contact in the head.

AFQMPgO.jpg

The QTC material does not work in lights with springs, such as my AAA Fenix, Sofirn, Maratac, Olight, etc

It could work in a pure single mode battery crusher, such as the McGizmo Sapphire.. I dont own one though.. :)

For those who own Peak Eigers w QTC.. how do you like the QTC?:)

Last edited:

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Morning Jon.
I have a Peak Eiger and wouldn't be without it.
The QTC works, it can be a little eccentric but it does the job it was designed to do.
No, it doesn't have the smooth ramping that you're used to with your magnetic ring lights, but it works. I imagine if the QTC ever actually failed you could still get light by screwing the head on tight.
P

Paul6ppca

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've used QTC in an old Jil light with upgraded led light engine. It has worked fine for many years. But it gets limited use. The ramping is quite smooth. Very usable.

Vemice

Enlightened
Like mine a lot. After you use it for a while you can get pretty close to where you want it. As discussed, it is not exact but how often do you need exact? Usually just need a lot or a little.
I have some QTC material coming this week and will be playing around with it also. Got three Eigers without QTC.

archimedes

Flashaholic
.... For those who own Peak Eigers w QTC.. how do you like the QTC?:)

It basically does what I want. However, my expectations are tailored to QTC's strengths and weaknesses. I want it to be simple and efficient; I realize that the adjustments are relatively coarse.

I have many more Peaks without QTC, than with QTC, and prefer those in certain situations.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks gentlemen, for sharing information about the function of QTC in your Eigers. I invite more info about which LED you enjoy.

it seems I dont get to play w my QTC bits, unless I find a light with no springs.. or figure out a way to eliminate the spring in one of my lights, with a proper length plug of some sort.

I think a small AAA light with QTC would be fun to play with.. and I see Eiger still has some Copper versions..

if any of you have time and inclination to share some beamshots of your Eigers, I would be curious to see a beamshot of the relative colors of the High CRI XP-G and the Cool White and Neutral White versions, lined up side by side. Or if you can point me to a photo in another thread, that would be helpful too.

Ive read that there was also a Nichia version.. fun choices.. Im guessing the Nichia was 4500k and the XPG is 3000k?

I hope the moderators dont mind me talking about LEDs in this thread. :)

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jon,
Mine is a Nichia and I think it's around 4500k.

Arch,
do you know if it's possible to remove the QTC pill and use it as a single mode? Presumable I'd have to get a spring in there?

P

archimedes

Flashaholic
Thanks gentlemen, for sharing information about the function of QTC in your Eigers. I invite more info about which LED you enjoy....

I like the N119 and "high CRI" XP-G (vintage Peak emitters) but be aware that both are very warm in tint.

if any of you have time and inclination to share some beamshots of your Eigers, I would be curious to see a beamshot of the relative colors of the High CRI XP-G and the Cool White and Neutral White versions, lined up side by side. Or if you can point me to a photo in another thread, that would be helpful too....

IIRC, there was a thread about the Logan in the Peak forum with lots of beamshots, but they use the same emitters.

I know that you are skilled in searching the forum, but let me know if you can't find it (and link it)

I hope the moderators dont mind me talking about LEDs in this thread. :)

As the OP, you have a lot of latitude in your thread here ;)

Arch,
do you know if it's possible to remove the QTC pill and use it as a single mode? Presumable I'd have to get a spring in there?

P

Yes, the pill can be removed, but then you'll have to "mind the gap" :D

Last edited:

Vemice

Enlightened
I ordered my copper Eiger several months ago and Robyn said she had one Nichia left which I quickly jumped on. It looks like about 4500K based on my other lights.
Can you tell a little about putting the QTC material in the base? Just drop the little bits in? I have some coming tomorrow and, as mentioned, I have three other body sizes to play with. She is sending some "pills" too but don't know exactly what they are. Didn't ask for them; she just thew them in.
Sorry to keep posting this but I really like it.

66uMGVOl.jpg

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jon,
Mine is a Nichia and I think it's around 4500k.

Arch,

P

congrats on the Nichia Peter
and yes, you can remove the QTC and replace it with a spring.. (just a guess);-)

From left to right
eiger 200 lumen, maglite 55 upgrade, energizer hard case AA, hardware store 170 lumen AA.

IMG_9032.jpg
Wow! That is a gorgeous Warm Color!

I often grill outdoors much of the year (and it can get dark early in winter) - so I use High-CRI to check what's cooking :) .... this works so much better than a cool white emitter.
I agree completely, cool white will show the juice running out of the meat, but it will look like Zombie blood.. LOL ;-)

and I found this pic.. good stuff!
7bHKi2F.jpg

@Vemice, I dont get tired of pics of copper lights, that's beautiful!

QTC pills look like the black thing with shiny silver center
the QTC material itself is easily lost, the small black squares, in my video, with and without a hole:
xM1Zc3O.jpg

Last edited:

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
We can install a spring here, but we will need a suitable spring, plastic material and glue for plastic.

It is necessary to make a plastic ring (marked in red) on a black plastic tablet and glue it, as well as to attach a spring (marked purple) there. The spring must have a diameter of the upper end larger than the steel piston, which presses on QTC, the base of the spring must also be glued to the black tablet (green - glue).

It will work fine, no bounce, only the force when turning the head can increase, because QTC resists as a spring and we add another spring. It will be like Eagletac G25C2, when we wrap up head and it becomes harder and harder to turn because of the additional contact springs in the head.