FourSevens        
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Am breathing nichia!

Flashaholic*

Default Re: Am breathing nichia!

Quote Originally Posted by trailhunter View Post
    Are b's no longer made
    I'm not sure, but it's a pity if they aren't. I like them much better than the c's. Their downside is poor efficiency, but people going for that pure high CRI tint don't really care about efficiency anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by WalkIntoTheLight View Post
    I'm not sure, but it's a pity if they aren't. I like them much better than the c's. Their downside is poor efficiency, but people going for that pure high CRI tint don't really care about efficiency anyway.
    Interesting
    TM36 Lite | Vish's ThruNite TN36UTVN | Olight S1-Cu Baton Raw Copper | Olight S1-Cu Baton Exclusive Raw SS Copper

I honestly don't think the efficiency of the c is even a concern compared to the b. You really aren't going to gain enough. I also prefer the b over c and will take it anyday over the c. Runtime isn't greatly increased with c imo.

Are b's no longer made
    As far as i know they are still available, just not from hds. I have many 219b from malkoff (illumn) and pretty sure still available.

I am not sure if nichia still actually makes them and not sure which brand still uses them. Seems like most brands use nichia c, possibly because they can claim higher efficiency even though i feel that's a moot point

I dont think they are still made, but there is of course some available out there. I too prefer the b overall to the c , the 319a is not too bad but again 219b my preference. There is a 219d but cant comment to having not owned any samples.

Flashaholic*

219a is also very nice. I can't really tell the difference between a and b. I doubt anyone still sells the 219a.

Quote Originally Posted by WalkIntoTheLight View Post
    219a is also very nice. I can't really tell the difference between a and b. I doubt anyone still sells the 219a.
    Yes, i have the 219a in my very 1st v54 light, olight m20 single mode.

I am sure around or close to 4k, yes hard to tell the difference to my eyes with the 9080 and 9050 4k. I like them all very much!

Rule of thumb, 219b is 30% more efficient than 219a (and 219c is 30% more than 219b)

example, 219b (middle) is 36% brighter than 219a (left):

Left: Niteye Eye10 TiC Titanium rotary w triple N219a 4500k 9050 makes 306 lumens
    Middle: Jetbeam TCR-1 Titanium rotary, converted to N219b 4500k 9080 makes 415 lumens
    Right: Niteye Eye10 with the stock 6000k XM-L makes 635 lumens
    (the N219b is 35% less bright than the XM-L)

photo illustrates beam color, these lights are not on at Maximum brightness:

Next photo illustrates beam color of 219b 3500k 9080. It makes 350 lumens. (16% less than 219b 4500k 9080):

All the N219 LEDs are modifications, not stock.
    Last edited by jon_slider; 04-30-2019 at 04:17 PM.

I want to breath nichia with @nichia!

whose selling a 219b light nowadays?
    TM36 Lite | Vish's ThruNite TN36UTVN | Olight S1-Cu Baton Raw Copper | Olight S1-Cu Baton Exclusive Raw SS Copper

Banned

I want to breath nichia with @nichia!

whose selling a 219b light nowadays?
    Nichia219b for ever

Check the malkoff MDC 16650 flashlight with nichia 219b R50 on illumn

Excellent choice but a warning should be given to those that can't handle pwm

Another option is to find some 219b emitters and have them swapped into a light of your choice

I really like my malkoff mdc 219b

Banned

I bought 2 of them but they are still @ my forward

Would a single 219b emitter work good in a 26650 light?

Banned

Default Am breathing nichia!

I have been thinking about 26650 battery p60 host and nichia 219b dropin for months now..

But I want triple or Quad dropin and must be Really Bright and with Secondary red led..

Quote Originally Posted by Nichia! View Post
    I have been thinking about 26650 battery p60 host and nichia 219b dropin for months now..

But I want triple or Quad dropin and must be Really Bright and with Secondary red led..
    How would 26650 with a triple or quad host pan out in terms of power and runtime?

Going to work with chris to see if he can build a triple nichia 219b 4500k in a v3 copper/brass v3 dragon

Flashaholic*

Would a single 219b emitter work good in a 26650 light?
    Of course it would work well, but it would depend on the driver used. For example the 219B isnt a big fan of being put behind a FET driver especially with a high drain cell. The same can be said for the 219C but it is more resilient. With that you should use a current limiting driver and thus you can calculate the aprox runtime based upon the mode and the current draw associated with that mode and then compare it to the capacity of the 26650.

To answer your question after it, It also depends on the driver used, the mode used, the cell used and the number of emitters.

Flashaholic*

Looks more green on right
    Correct, the green one is the 219B

Quote Originally Posted by INFRNL View Post
    I haven't much time with them yet but i don't see the red like sw45 has.

From my limited use so far sw35, sw40 are great without the purple i see in the sw45.

I will try to get a better idea of the differences tonight.
    Are you sure you are using the SW45 and not the SW45k? The SW45k is the one known to be purple.

That's a good? They are what hds has offered, i don't recall the exact details. I'd have to look into it.

I currently just know they are sw45 219b 4500k r9080 same goes for the sw35/sw40 i have. I know the 9080 has more red than r9050 other than that, I'm not an emitter expert

Some may already know the answer but I'll check into it

Flashaholic*

That's a good? They are what hds has offered, i don't recall the exact details. I'd have to look into it.

I currently just know they are sw45 219b 4500k r9080 same goes for the sw35/sw40 i have. I know the 9080 has more red than r9050 other than that, I'm not an emitter expert

Some may already know the answer but I'll check into it
    In that case I know the answer is the SW45k as it is what I ordered as well. These are a special run of emitters meant to be on the rosy side.

Technically 219a and 219b r9050 are rosy as well. That's what Nichia was all about. However r9080 definitely has more red but i wouldn't say rosy

I didn't know there was an sw and swk. Does that mean sw is r9050 and swk is r9080?
    Last edited by INFRNL; 04-30-2019 at 09:10 PM.

I am 74 and not into flashlights other than having a bedside 6P with recently purchased Malkoff cool white M61 dropin thanks to me re-discovering this forum. I have always thought the brighter the better. I want to thank you guys for educating me on the beauty of the warmer tone offerings. I recently purchased from another forum member a MD2 with a 219BV2 Nichia dropin. All I can say is WOW, what a difference when compared to all my other lights. I have a new favorite color choice.

Yep, that's how it starts ...
    ... is the archimedes peak

Flashaholic*

Technically 219a and 219b r9050 are rosy as well. That's what Nichia was all about. However r9080 definitely has more red but i wouldn't say rosy

I didn't know there was an sw and swk. Does that mean sw is r9050 and swk is r9080?
    Maybe it would be worth deep diving into Color Temp and Tint.

First things first, color temp are tint are not the same despite many people using them interchangeably.

Here you can see the two dimensional nature of these two and how they relate. If color temp is a line on which a light falls warm to cool then tint is a perpendicular line to color temp and describes the quality of green to magenta. The color temp line is called the black body and the closer a light is to the black body the more neutral the tint. By definition the higher the CRI the closer to neutral tint a light will have. Remember CRI is a measure to how close a light is to ideal, but high CRI is no guarantee to a neutral tint.

All this being said what does this mean to our lights? Well manufactures place LEDs into bins in which they expect the light will display. Nichia has a page on how they bin here: https://www.nichia.co.jp/en/product/led_color.html

So lets take a look at 219A and 219B tint bins:

So we can see that a emitter can actually have a lottery but we would expect all emitters to fall somewhere in that area.

Now enter the SW45k which is a special bin:
    On average we expect an SW45k to be more rosy than an SW45

Flashaholic

Does anybody know where one can purchase 219b LEDs particularly in the 4000k cct?

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by staticx57 View Post
    Of course it would work well, but it would depend on the driver used. For example the 219B isnt a big fan of being put behind a FET driver especially with a high drain cell. The same can be said for the 219C but it is more resilient.
    219C quad-emitter lights with a FET driver are pretty popular. It seems to work well, even with a high-drain cell. Gets really hot, really quick, though.

Nothing but Nichia!

9080 means minimum 90 CRI Ra, and minimium 80 CRI R9 (red)
    Tint is a separate factor than CRI. Rosy is a kind of Tint. Red is a kind of CRI.

Some N219b are more Rosy than others.
    Some N219b have more Red CRI than others.

the middle light is sw45:
    it looks rosy right? and the 219a 4500k 9050 on the left does not have pink tint at all, see that?

now look at the same light that is in the middle above, second from left below, next to an sw45k.
    the sw45 is Less Rosy than the sw45k, but they are both 4500k color temperature and both are 9080 CRI

219b 4500k 9080 sw45, has more pink tint than 219b 4000k 9050

I lived with the 219b 4000k 9050 for several years, in Maratacs, Tools, and modded lights.
    then one day I met the sw45k and I thought it was waaay too pink. Now I LOVE it, and think the 219b 4000k 9050 is waaay too yellow.. lol!

Im not consistent, my preferences change depending on the time of day or night :-)

I like 3500k at night, but find the color too warm during the day..
    courses for horses

Quote Originally Posted by jon_slider View Post
    ...and think the 219b 4000k 9050 is waaay too yellow.. lol!

Im not consistent, my preferences change depending on the time of day or night :-)
    I'm not consistent, either. I find that if I don't fancy a particular emitter, all I have to do is wait a while and I will discover an appreciation for it. The 219b 4000K R9050 is straight up yellow. Nothing rosy about it, no matter how many beams I cross. At first, I didn't love it, but now it's my night time creeping light. Too warm for anything else.
    “May it be a light to you in dark places, when all other lights go out.”
    J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

Quote Originally Posted by Modernflame View Post
    I'm not consistent, either. I find that if I don't fancy a particular emitter, all I have to do is wait a while and I will discover an appreciation for it. The 219b 4000K R9050 is straight up yellow. Nothing rosy about it, no matter how many beams I cross. At first, I didn't love it, but now it's my night time creeping light. Too warm for anything else.
    Would you have gone 4500?

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast