US made OP Reflector shipping with Special Metal runs.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is it...

img-3562.jpg

When and IF they become available for standard aluminum lights, I will post it.

wacbzz

Flashlight Enthusiast
This might not be the best place for this question - and perhaps it has already been answered - but why is it that the ~$300 aluminum lights are viewed as the red-headed stepchild when it comes to available "limited" emitters and now this reflector?

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
This might not be the best place for this question - and perhaps it has already been answered - but why is it that the ~$300 aluminum lights are viewed as the red-headed stepchild when it comes to available "limited" emitters and now this reflector?

Simple. The supply we have on hand.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
With the OP, that has been in the works for some time now, and I didn't expect to even have them to put in the special metal lights before they (brass, bronze, and titanium) shipped. Well, the delay in shipping from our machinist made it possible. Not ideal, but I am unfortunately getting used to "machinist time" which is only slightly better than Henry's "two weeks" which I have forbidden him to ever say again to anyone.

Since they (the OP reflectors) came back and met our expectations, we felt it would be good to use these in the special metal runs to kind of make up for the delay in shipping. We didn't have a ton of them made (I've had to toss over 1000 reflectors in the past which really hurts the bottom line) so rather than doing a large batch, we had a smaller "test" batch done. I am hoping to move to this reflector in the future and make it a standard offering, replacing the smooth, but that is still some time out if I can make it happen.

For the emitters, those 219b were purchased in a pretty small quantity as well. We need to make sure we have enough to fill all the special metal runs (which is predominantly why I purchased them), and keep some left over for "fall out" and "warranty" work that might come up.

I'm still learning. If I could go back in time, I probably would have ordered some more, but it is a balancing act between what can be sold and what invariably gets scrapped. Then there is always the possibility of a new emitter coming out that becomes the new rage.

Spyder333

Newly Enlightened
What is the real-world-use difference between the OP reflectors and the smooth reflectors?

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
The OP reflector focuses, or defocuses the beam of light in such a way as to make the white wall deader than it would have normally been. No matter where the beam is projected on the white wall, it kills the walls brain so that it can not come back later as a zombie wall. It is actually more technical than that, but that is it in a nutshell. It kills them deader.

toads

Newly Enlightened
I believe OP usually has a smoother transition from hotspot to fill than the smooth reflectors.

lion504

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's a quick comparison of the OP vs Smooth.

8e6180f0c93a6d9ec3ac14f0b61760a8.jpg

This is hilarious!

My understanding is that smooth provides better throw, but OP cleans up rings and other artifacts for a nicer looking (aka "more deadlier) beam.

I think the current reflector provides a pretty nice beam, and unless I'm wrong on the difference between the two, if given the choice, I would choose smooth rather than OP to get more throw out of my 200 lumens.