G2 build

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Guys I have a G2 that I want to play around with my plans are to run a HO-9 High Output
9V, 320 Lumens High Output from lumens factoryOn 2 16340 rechargeable Now my question for anyone with experience with this Dropin? Will this kill my p60 in terms of output and throw? Throw is what I'm looking for and would like to stick with incandescent. Any recommendations? Thanks

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's the lexan lens that will be the biggest problem. It will melt with extended runs. You'll need to upgrade to a pyrex/borofloat/mineral glass lens or a UCL.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
No need to use the Solar Force head unless going high output LED. Nitrolon can take the heat just fine.

scout24

Flashaholic
I had a G3 a while back that I ran a HO-9 and a pair of 17500's in. Lexan head. I never ran it more than 5-10 minutes at a time and it seemed to do ok. This was a "hex" nitrolon head, I'm not sure of the lens material.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
The G3 comes with a borofloat (heat resistant glass) lens, as does the G2Z.

The G2 comes with the lexan lense.

sandalian

Enlightened
Been using P60 custom drop-in inside G2 for several months for daily task, I didn't find any problem so far.

37337802_437773856733925_7682948811752210432_n.jpg

But it's a single cell drop-in, I'm using 16650 battery for this set up.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
As far as I'm aware, most of the heat from an incandescent source is dissipated as radiant energy (light) from the front. For an Led source it is dissipated as conducted energy through the host.
They have compatible glass lenses for your G2 at Lumens factory.
P

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Yep I have glass lenses and some SS bezel rings on the way. What I need now is a drop in/battery combined that will give me some good throw.im just looking for something more the my P60.

So I'm definitely looking for an incandescent. Got more led's then I need. Kinda wanted old school on this one.and nothing imo throws like them

Last edited:

RobertMM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not Lumens Factory but I tried that once with a glass lens, stock G2 body and head plus Solarforce 9V incandescent lamp and two IMR 16340.

Very nice, definitely trumps P60 but had such poor runtime it was effectively just a toy for me.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not Lumens Factory but I tried that once with a glass lens, stock G2 body and head plus Solarforce 9V incandescent lamp and two IMR 16340.

Very nice, definitely trumps P60 but had such poor runtime it was effectively just a toy for me.
According to Lumens Factory the runtime with two LiIon cells is approximately 40 minutes. For intermittent use that would probably be adequate, but for continuous use the time goes by very quickly. You will probably want to carry an extra set of cells in a case so they don't get damaged/short out.

As far as heat goes, it's all situational. I bubbled the lens on a pre-lockout G2 when it got turned on in its holster by the way I was slouching in my chair. By the time I felt the heat through the holster and my jeans, the lens was definitely toast. That's when I got a borofloat lens and ordered a lockout tail cap from Surefire.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
For those considering a Solarforce head/bezel assembly vs. the aluminum Z44 from Surefire, you may want to keep in mind that the thermal handling is better in the Z44 - there is an internal aluminum ledge in the Z44 (providing a better thermal path) that is lacking in the Solarforce head/bezel.

scout24

Flashaholic
I see now that they do. I wasn't sure if the G2 and G3 Nitrolon heads had the same or different lens material...

Kestrel

Flashaholic
The interesting thing is that the G2 series went from the old Nitrolon 'nubbie' heads to the improved matte-finish Z44-style (not the glossy-anodized Z44), but then took a step backwards to the Nitrolon hex head.

The forward step coincided with the G2L (led), and I think the backward step was roughly when the P60-style G2L was discontinued in favor of the 'sealed-head' G2L (while the P60 incan G-series continued production ?)
Just educated conjecture on my part.

Last edited: