An eternaLight Derringer tale

sotyakr

Enlightened
I recently gave an eternaLight Derringer to a friend as part of a going away gift. I'm not sure if it was really appreciated, but I knew she would be doing some travelling, and it might come in handy. She said that she was hesitant about owning a flashlight that was smarter than her (actually, she's very intelligent). As it turns out, she would be going on a trip to India with one of our consulting veterinarians who specializes in the artificial insemination of elephants.

Before she left for the trip, she temporarily blinded her dad when she had the LED's pointed at him as she pressed the power button. Well, I guess she never quite mastered the Derringer's operation, from her description of this incident which took place in India. While out one night, their group encountered a pair of rhinoceros. The vet wanted to videotape them with his night shot equipped camcorder, but in the darkness, couldn't see the controls. My well prepared friend saved the day (or, night) as she quickly pulled the Derringer out of the travel pouch that I had also given her (she really did appreciate this gift) and lit up the camcorder so the doctor could find the proper buttons to push (no, I don't think she made it to the Derringer's red-only setting). Then in trying to turn the light off, I guess in the heat of the moment, kept changing modes of the light and everyone was afraid the flashing light show was going to scare off the rhinos. She eventually got the Derringer turned off. No harm done. For the rest of the trip, when ever she pulled that light out, everyone just shook their heads.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Sotyakr,

Great story.

Playing with rhinos at night sounds interesting. I hope she doesn't find the SOS function useful.

Tom

MrEternaLight

Newly Enlightened
Gee that's too bad - I hoping for a happy ending. I guess we should put a sticker on our lights that says "CAUTION: READ THE MANUAL BEFORE OPERATING". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

sotyakr

Enlightened
She had brought the manual with her on the trip, but apparently didn't really read it. I think she has now gotten the Derringer's operation sorted out, and finds it very usefull.

In retrospect, I really should have given her a bit of instruction before sending her off with it. Oh well, the mental picture I had when she told me about it was priceless.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
If they can put a sticker on a toliet plunger that reads "Caution: Do not use near power lines", then you could put a sticker on the Derringer that reads "Caution: Do not use near rhinoceroses". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif