Cree Xlamp XHP70.2 - Real or Fake?

John Z

Newly Enlightened
Ordered a new flashlight but am unsure the LED is actually real. It is supposed to be the Cree Xlamp XHP70.2.

Can anyone confirm this led is real/fake?

ol5p8LT
ol5p8LT
Image: https://imgur.com/ol5p8LT
ol5p8LT
ol5p8LT

Scourie

Enlightened
Welcome to the forum John.

I'll answer until a real expert shows up;

No, it doesn't look like a genuine 70.2 to me. The cross lines look too thick, there should be a small square to denote negative connection, and you shouldn't be able to see the 'solder pads'.

ven

Flashaholic
The 70.2 is hard to make the + out due to all the phosphor , that is not a 70.2 to my eyes.

What is the flashlight? how much did you pay if you dont mind me asking. Reason being, they are roughly $10 before shipping for a single LED.

John Z

Newly Enlightened
I also still have an old Maglite-like flashlight with a P13.5S bulb, running on 3 R20 batteries. I can find some bulb replacements, which would probably be a great upgrade from the original bulb, but would likely not even come close to XHP70(.2) LEDs. Higher brightness LEDs would likely not be an option due to the heat they produce.

John Z

Newly Enlightened
That looks like a great flashlight. Good value too. But this flashlight seems to focus mainly on throw with some spread around the hotspot. I prefer more spread because I don't need to cover so much distance.

Zoom would be ideal but that would probably not work too well with a reflector and therefor no decent flashlights at my budget (if any) will have this with a reflector. Without a reflector, some of the light will be wasted, right?

How do flashlights with multiple non XHP LEDs compare to an XHP70.2 flashlight?

I posted a third message but it appears to have vanished, although it did count as my third post because I no longer see the new-member-warning.
Attempt 2: I also still have a Maglite-like flashlight with a P13.5S bulb and 3 R20 batteries. I see that some basic LEDs are available as a replacement. These will likely be a great upgrade from the original bulb, but nothing compared to XHP-LEDs.

ven

Flashaholic
The xhp70.2 is of course a large die, so it does pinch out there with sheer output. But also lots of decent usable spill. A mule xhp would be a wall of close up light.

There are are too many variables tbh comparing LEDs , it would take forever to go into it all. Is there a reason for the xhp70.2? Not 100% but I think it's 4 xp-l2 together. These imo are not the best. I prefer a nice 5000k xhp70.

John Z

Newly Enlightened
XHP70 will do fine I suppose. I just figured: if there is a choice between XHP70 and XHP70.2, I might as well go with the newest. If the XHP70 gives more/better choices ... I'm not fixated on '.2'.

ven

Flashaholic
In truth i am not a fan of the .2, find too yellow. Each to their own of course. I am a fan of the xhp50 4000-5000k, real nice bit of light from them(think 4 xp-g2's, again could be wrong). The xhp35 HI is nice also in 4-5k floavours if you want a bright throwing beam.

if good value, bright and compact is in any of your wants and needs, check out the Emisar brand. mtn elctronics stock, or direct from international outdoor. Great UI, good choice of decent LED options to suit most!. Hot rods yes, so toasty fast if using 3-4 thousand lumens. But on lower levels, just as useful as the next.

Multi LED lights are varied, in cost and quality. I would advise staying away from cheap chinese ones. Many reasons, mainly inflated(greatly) outputs, risks of fake LEDs and poor performance/.cheap components. As a certain Chris says " buy once cry once" and in many cases i do believe this to be true. Not saying spend $500, but aim for more respectable manufacturers that dont end in fire(not including surefire though).

John Z

Newly Enlightened
From what I have seen, the Emisar interface looks quite good indeed. I just don't find my flashlight at this brand. Either too throwey or too bulky. I do think the D4 does a great job, but it is to small to handle the heat for longer.

Which decent brands have flashlights in my price-range? So like Emisar and Convoy. How does Sofirn do for example?
How long (ballpark) can the smaller flashlights handle the high (non turbo) modes?

I still like the Convoy L6, just wish it was less throwey, for my use at least.

ven

Flashaholic
Cant comment on sofirm as i have not owned, or many other budget type brands. Over the years i have not had too many failures, but just prefer quality. Now some cheaper brands do have nice emitters(nichia's , xpl HI etc etc). But for me it has to be a package deal, i want decent ano that does not chip off easy(or been painted on). So i tend to spend a bit more and look at it as an investment. I want to limit the chances of flaky switches and poor UI along with noticeable PWM/ poor drivers. I want a light that i know will work, even after endless drops.

You could build your own, by that get a p60 host(empty flashlight, be it surefire which a 6p for example can be had for $40-$50, or solarforce as just two examples) and get a p60 drop in to suit. Prices vary from say $10(would avoid) $30 ish sportac types(triple/single which are excellent imo) then more custom from vinh and OR etc. These can nudge past $200, but life time guarantee and nicely picked LED's and programmable drivers cost.

Zebralight sc700d although over budget(around $119) offers the xhp70.2 in a very compact form. I am a fan of ZL and imho worth the money. Many threads, but if i was after the 70.2, i would probably swing for the ZL sc700d. Part potted, programmable, excellent ano, very bright with a clever efficient driver. Not for everyone, but maybe worth a look, it might save money down the line. After all, only takes a couple of $50 lights or so and its the same cost.

post #354 for pics and impressions
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/v...Zebralight-SC700d-21700-XHP70-2-90-CRI/page12

Next recommendation will go up in $ again haha:p

John Z

Newly Enlightened
I generally prefer quality too, but I just won't use it enough to justify the extra cost (to myself). I have set a price limit and I'm sticking to it :rolleyes:

I am looking at some flashlights but not yet sure which to buy. I might just order the Sofirn SP33 v2 and wait until I find what I'm really looking for. I was also looking at the Sofirn SP36, but I'm not sure if it hangs just on the right side between flood and throw or just on the wrong side (for me). The Convoy S11 looks nice too, but it seems to have an odd jump from 30% to 100% brightness. Considering it wil likely not sustain 100% brightness, that would be a huge drop if temperature control uses the same jump down.

Thank you for your thoughts and patience so far. I will just have to figure out what I want.

ven

Flashaholic
30 and 100 actually for me works pretty good for some applications. 30 can be used as a decent brightness without heat issues, 100 for shorter blasts when needed. Although 70% brighter, to the eyes it roughly takes 4x the lumens to look twice as bright to the eyes/brain. So for 200lm to look twice as bright, around 800lm would be needed..........

When eyes are adjusted, its amazing how little lumens we actually need over what we want. I can use a HDS with 200lm output to cover pretty much 95% of my needs/wants and uses. But yes, big outputs are FUN!

John Z

Newly Enlightened
If we would only be interested in what we actually need, this world would be a very different place... :tinfoil:

Apparently something new is in the works that might just fit my bill. Not sure if it is supposed to be made public yet, so I leave it at this for now and wait patiently :whistle:

The_Fat_Controller

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for the prompt and welcoming replies. I figured as much.

I ordered below flashlight.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/500...d-torch-xhp70-xhp50-18650-or/32967110110.html

Pulled one of these apart out of curiosity, it's definitely not a real XHP70.2 and even if it was it still wouldnt be much good because the driver is only 3 amps , whats more interesting is that at 3 amps it shouldn't really even be breaking a sweat yet it heats up fast so what ever emitter they have put in there is being over driven by a good margin, I swapped mine out with a Genuine MT-G2 no determinable loss in performance if anything its gained some and now the thing runs way cooler.

Last edited:

John Z

Newly Enlightened
Pulled one of these apart out of curiosity, it's definitely not a real XHP70.2 and even if it was it still wouldnt be much good because the driver is only 3 amps , whats more interesting is that at 3 amps it shouldn't really even be breaking a sweat yet it heats up fast so what ever emitter they have put in there is being over driven by a good margin, I swapped mine out with a Genuine MT-G2 no determinable loss in performance if anything its gained some and now the thing runs way cooler.

Thank you for sharing!

If I wanted to do the same, would I just order something like this and solder it in or is it not that simpel? Would I need thermal paste?

Would it also be doable to change both the driver and the LED for an XHP70.2 LED with a compatible driver or would this be very complicated?