modulight (plug & play flashlight)

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
user swappable luxeons is an idea i've had for a looong time. i first concieved of the idea and implentation well over a year ago. after designing it and beginning to machine it, i concieved of a better method, and decided to abandon the swappable idea for the first light (now known as the d-lux)

in addition to interchangable luxeons, i wanted to make interchangable converters also. i considered ways to do this, but none of them were very doable with my resources. i talked with jtice, who was interested in the idea, and we decided that it was possible, using minimag innards.

the luxeon is placed directly onto the heatsink, inside a donut-shaped ring, which provides electrical power to the leads, and holds them in place.
the luxeon itself is held in place by the pressure of the optic, which keeps it firmly against the heatsink/body for good thermal contact.

the converter system consists of 2 parts of a minimag switch assembly. the bottom (the part found inside the minimag) acts as an outlet for the top (the part that snaps onto the top of a minimag), which is used to deliver contact. the 2 prongs hold the system in place, and keep it from rotating
the outlet portion is on a spring system, and when the converter module (a converter inside an ecan, with the minimag top on top) is placed in, it protrudes out, so that when the body is screwed in, it maintains good electrical contact as the spring contracts.

the optic (either nx05 or frean, nx01 or mcflood should work also...) is held in place by a threaded retaining ring, which keeps firm pressure along the oring to make it waterproof, and keeps the optic perfectly centered.

this system seems to work quite well, but i've got better ideas as well, which i unfortunatly don't have the means to impliment /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

withoutluxeon.jpg

here is a shot of the top, where the luxeon goes. the grey stuff in the middle is arctic silver compound.
note that it is imprinted with a + and a -, to indicate polarity.

luxenontop.jpg

here it is with a luxeon (5w cyan in this case, but i think it's actually blue /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif)
note how the solder forms to the leads of the luxeon. this was done by using tape to mask the bottom, and blobbing on as much solder as i could, then lathing it off. you can se that i accidentally bumped one of the solder corners with my iron, and unsmoothed it out /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
an oring goes over the lead area to make sure they are in good contact.

retainingring.jpg

here is the retaining nut. it's made out of white delrin, and will eventually get a couple coats of glowpowder for cool effect /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
(note the threads are a little dirty...)

retainingringnoptic.jpg

here it is with a (dirty) frean lp optic inside. i generally prefer nx05, but the frean does a better job with 5watters (which is the only emitter i have right now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif )

headback.jpg

there is the retaining system in action.

dummyecanin.jpg

here is the converter module, but as you can see, it's not a converter inside /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
i don't have any converters right now, so i made a dd one.
you can see that it's sticking out quite a bit. when you screw it onto the body (surefire, mclux, or custom), the spring contracts, and it goes on quite flush /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

dummyecantop.jpg

here is a shot at the top of the module.
i apologize for the blurry picture.

ecanreceptical.jpg

here is the inside of the converter system. you can see that it's a minimag plug, with the tabs establishing electrical connection. the spring system is underneath this part.

sidebodyshot.jpg

here is the head on the e2e body.

one2e.jpg

here is the whole thing on an e2e body (notice the gap is larger with an nx05 than with a frean)

bezelshot.jpg

here is a shot down the bezel. the optic is dirty, so it doesn't look all that good, i need to get some new optics...
the lens is a custom ucl lens, from www.flashlightlens /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

itworks.jpg

and here's proof that my crazy ideas work! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

wholeshot.jpg

and here it is on an e2e, running a cyan (blue?) 5w with a directdrive module on 2-123's.

interchangable luxeons, converters, optics, lenses, and bodies... is that modular or what?

B@rt

Flashaholic
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif
Innovative work Rosie. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

mut

Flashlight Enthusiast
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif
That looks cool.
Is there going to be a run of these? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/poke2.gif Please.
Think this could help people whom don't have the skills and tools for modding.

jtice

Flashaholic
Hey great man, you got it to work! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Glad to see this finally worked out well.
Seems it does do what we intended it to do.
Looks like you got it to be pretty reliable and sturdy.

Is the LS being held in properly?
That was my greatest concern.
At least now, a new BB converter will have the no load protection, that solves our worries of the LS disconnecting, and frying the converter.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
i was concerned about the ls being held in place too, but this seems to do the job quite effectively.

certainly it's not the best solution, but it's better than anything anyone else has come up with so far /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

i've got ideas for better methods, but have no way to produce them /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
crazy. I skipped reading over it as I'm too tired to comprehend all the work you put into it! Does the luxeon look like Royal-Blue or lighter blue? if it's the later it could be like a color bin 1 cyan... if only we could get a hold of bin 2 or 3's like back in the day for true cyan.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
it is blue blue, not really dark, but certainly not light.

to be honest, i can't remember what exactly i orderd (this thing has been on the shelf for quite a while).

i thought i ordered a cyan, but i do recall wanting a royal blue also. as i've only driven this with 6v so far, i'm probably not getting the right color out of it anway, but i'm pretty sure this isn't a cyan /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nicely done. Well conceived and executed. The head looks awful long but that's a price for total interchangeability I guess.

Wilkey

Kiessling

Flashaholic
cool! better and better Roth!
But ... why didn't you use some good old scres to hold the LS in place?
bernhard

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
thanks guys /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

scres? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Roth,

Next you need to make a machined, O-ring-sealed pocket carrier for the alternate optics/convertors/emitters so you can be prepared wherever you go. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Larry

Kiessling

Flashaholic
... um ... I meant "screws" ... ya know ... those things that need screwdrivers ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
bernhard

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
leran ot tpye btter! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

actually that was my origional idea, but it wasn't working quite right with my limited equipment /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

this way also allows swapping without tools /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif