The Fenix-Store        
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 54

Thread: Emisar D18

  1. #1

    Default Emisar D18

    So why nobody here talking about this light yet? Do you guys like or not?

    Personally I like it but I don't think there is much difference between the D18 and the NOCTIGON METEOR M43..

    Pic from official website

  2. #2

    Default Re: Emisar D18 Discussion

    Iím a big fan of Emisar lights. Hankís products are targeted at flashlight enthusiasts and they are always high quality and filled with cool features and innovations at a very reasonable price. Not always practical but always super fun. The D18 appears to be no exception. Itís a pocket monster with 14,000 lumens, leading edge individual optics and the latest version of Anduril. Like I said....super fun.

    i just picked up the Emisar D4S and itís such a hoot. Iím probably going to order this one too but Iím waiting to see what the hardcore enthusiasts have to say once they start showing up in peopleís mailboxes. IMHO, these high power, soda can lights donít really have any practical applications (other than fun) but I suspect many of the lights we have in our collections have the same issue.

    Jordan

  3. #3
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    3,108

    Default Re: Emisar D18 Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by JordanK View Post
    IMHO, these high power, soda can lights donít really have any practical applications (other than fun) but I suspect many of the lights we have in our collections have the same issue.
    Yeah, I don't really see the purpose in the really floody high-output soda can lights. Other than fun, of course. You really only need about 500 lumens in a floody light. Anything more, and you're just making your pupils contract the same amount as the light increases. If you need to see further, a more concentrated beam makes a lot more sense.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Emisar D18 Discussion

    Looks neat.. I have toy lights already... Thing is with high output small lights... You have a small amount of time to enjoy it...Why not make a million lumen light that flashes once?

  5. #5

    Default Re: Emisar D18 Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by WalkIntoTheLight View Post
    Yeah, I don't really see the purpose in the really floody high-output soda can lights. Other than fun, of course. You really only need about 500 lumens in a floody light. Anything more, and you're just making your pupils contract the same amount as the light increases. If you need to see further, a more concentrated beam makes a lot more sense.
    I have a 3 acre wooded hillside. They come in handy in some cases.
    hunter, fisherman, flashlight enthusiast

  6. #6
    Moderator
    archimedes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    CONUS, top left
    Posts
    12,093

    Default Emisar D18

    Recently, two similar threads both of which were addressing the Emisar D18 were merged, as I had felt that one thread would be able to adequately handle the volume of discussion.

    However, @Nichia! and others have made their case that this new item is sufficiently popular and important to merit one thread solely devoted to it alone.

    So, by popular request, I will move those posts back to this thread ... which now may be used to discuss all things Emisar D18.

    Any comparison discussion, with the Imalent MS18 or others, should go to that pre-existing discussion thread ...
    https://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...44#post5295644

    And if there is any interest in the Imalent MS18 alone, a new thread for that could be started (either here in LED Flashlights, or in the Imalent manufacturers forum)

    The staff are here to try to keep the forum clean, clear, and easy to use. Often that requires making a judgment call on when and where to merge and move threads. If you feel strongly about the issue, it is fine to contact staff, but please do so by PM as it can be disruptive to the open forum.

    I will now "de-merge" the posts, and clean up those threads, as requested. Thanks
    Last edited by archimedes; 03-24-2019 at 09:26 AM.
    ... is the archimedes peak

  7. #7

    Default Re: Emisar D18

    Thank you Arc..

  8. #8

    Default Re: Emisar D18

    Back to topic

    Anyone knows if this will come with auxiliary LEDs like the fireflies E07??

  9. #9
    Moderator
    archimedes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    CONUS, top left
    Posts
    12,093

    Default Re: Emisar D18

    Quote Originally Posted by Nichia! View Post
    Thank you Arc..
    You are welcome, as you see, PM works better
    ... is the archimedes peak

  10. #10

    Default Re: Emisar D18

    Quote Originally Posted by Nichia! View Post
    Back to topic

    Anyone knows if this will come with auxiliary LEDs like the fireflies E07??
    No auxiliary LEDs on this one. They want to keep it as compact as possible.
    "There ain't no bones in a hotdog" F. York.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Emisar D18

    Not even LEDs under the switch like M43??

  12. #12

    Default Re: Emisar D18

    I wonder what Vinh will be able to do with this one. It needs a giant copper heat sink added.
    hunter, fisherman, flashlight enthusiast

  13. #13
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    1,549

    Default Re: Emisar D18

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigburly912 View Post
    I wonder what Vinh will be able to do with this one. It needs a giant copper heat sink added.
    It is surface area outside that matters with cooling. You can have a massive hunk of copper on the inside but if it is trapped you are sunk.
    Last edited by staticx57; 03-24-2019 at 10:39 AM.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Emisar D18

    I'm still waiting on reviews and beamshots before I pull the trigger. I've been very happy with my Emisars, but some of them are less practical than others.

    One problem I had with the D4S with SST-20 emitters is that when you're at lower brightness levels, there is a noticeable green tint to the light. I didn't notice this as much with the regular D4, but I would guess that the D18 will be more like the D4S than like the D4 in this regard, and since these aren't available with Cree emitters (yet), I want to make sure I'll like what I buy. I ended up selling quite a few flashlights recently because they were not exactly what I liked.

    I'm also curious just how the D18 optic balances throw and flood. The D4 with its stock optic does a great job producing a floody beam with a little punch. The D4S is a throwy beam with a little flood. I would prefer a throwy beam with a brighter flood than what I get with the D4S, which seems more like a short range search light in the way that the area outside of the beam is just dark, not much spill to light up that area at all.

    Finally, I want to know how useful the D18 will be in stepped mode and what kinds of runtime people get at each level. One issue I have taken with the D4 and D4S is that with the ramping UI, it's really hard to estimate runtime at the more sane middle levels. A stepped mode sequence would help this, but only if the step configuration makes sense (I don't have any experience with Andruil, so maybe the answer is already out there). I have an Acebeam headlamp with terrible mode spacing, putting almost all the configurability in the 300-4000 lumen range, which really hurts its utility as a headlamp.

    I have no doubt that the D18 will quickly become too hot to hold bare-handed and that the brightness will start to ramp down from 14,000 lumens almost immediately. I'm more concerned with how it performs in the 200-2000 lumen range, and if I get one, I might do a lot of reading about runtimes and configure a mode ceiling right around the 2000 lumen level, see how it performs like that.

  15. #15

    Default Re: Emisar D18

    Quote Originally Posted by Nichia! View Post
    Not even LEDs under the switch like M43??
    Not sure on that, but auxiliary LEDs under the optics is a no go.
    "There ain't no bones in a hotdog" F. York.

  16. #16

    Default Re: Emisar D18

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigburly912 View Post
    I wonder what Vinh will be able to do with this one. It needs a giant copper heat sink added.
    and what can he do, obey the laws of heat also ? that guy is so overrated, this light would need a way bigger host, atleast 100mm to help get of the heat, it will probably be a neat light but looking at blf the output will drop from highest already after 30 seconds thats way too fast imo and it settles on around 3-4000k lumens at most... and shame no aux leds they look so nice in my d4s.

  17. #17

    Default Re: Emisar D18

    Some notes on the D18:
    - The light uses 18 individual separately mounted optics in their own mounts instead of a one-piece optic. With the individual optics and mounts there doesn't appear to be room for a bezel LED board. However, I'm sure Lexel will give it a shot when he gets his D18 and let us know whether such is possible.
    - Compared to the Noctigon Meteor M43, the D18 is considerably smaller and about twice as bright. It should also have a better UI than the M43.
    - Based on Toykeeper's output and temp sensor chart on BLF I expect turbo output to start at 14,000 lumens then very rapidly ramp down to approximately 3,000 lumens where the temp stabilizes.
    - Supposedly the first D18s have already shipped. One guy in Asia claims to have already received his. And at least one other person on BLF claims to have received his shipping notice today.

  18. #18

    Default Re: Emisar D18

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigburly912 View Post
    I wonder what Vinh will be able to do with this one. It needs a giant copper heat sink added.
    +1
    "There ain't no bones in a hotdog" F. York.

  19. #19
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    221

    Default Re: Emisar D18

    Quote Originally Posted by Fireclaw18 View Post
    Some notes on the D18:
    - The light uses 18 individual separately mounted optics in their own mounts instead of a one-piece optic. With the individual optics and mounts there doesn't appear to be room for a bezel LED board. However, I'm sure Lexel will give it a shot when he gets his D18 and let us know whether such is possible.
    - Compared to the Noctigon Meteor M43, the D18 is considerably smaller and about twice as bright. It should also have a better UI than the M43.
    - Based on Toykeeper's output and temp sensor chart on BLF I expect turbo output to start at 14,000 lumens then very rapidly ramp down to approximately 3,000 lumens where the temp stabilizes.
    - Supposedly the first D18s have already shipped. One guy in Asia claims to have already received his. And at least one other person on BLF claims to have received his shipping notice today.
    Regulated closer to 2000 lumens based on Toykeepers comments on BLF, which is lower than M43.

  20. #20
    *Flashaholic* idleprocess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    dfw.tx.us
    Posts
    5,222

    Default Re: Emisar D18

    Quote Originally Posted by koziy View Post
    One issue I have taken with the D4 and D4S is that with the ramping UI, it's really hard to estimate runtime at the more sane middle levels. A stepped mode sequence would help this, but only if the step configuration makes sense (I don't have any experience with Andruil, so maybe the answer is already out there).
    D4S has stepped UI - default 7 steps with the option of quite a few more (I've not experimented with this as I find the step/thermal setup modes confusing). I find the spacing to be satisfactory and use it instead of the ramping UI, which for its ability to hit something close to the precisely correct brightness is distracting and also seems to encourage needless fidgeting with it. But I still like my D4's.

    Quote Originally Posted by NPL View Post
    Regulated closer to 2000 lumens based on Toykeepers comments on BLF, which is lower than M43.
    I also recall Toykeeper mentioning that their lumen-approximating setup wasn't terribly accurate so I wouldn't put too much stock in that number.
    I apologize that this letter is so long; I did not have time to write a short letter

  21. #21

    Default Re: Emisar D18

    Quote Originally Posted by idleprocess View Post
    D4S has stepped UI - default 7 steps with the option of quite a few more (I've not experimented with this as I find the step/thermal setup modes confusing). I find the spacing to be satisfactory and use it instead of the ramping UI, which for its ability to hit something close to the precisely correct brightness is distracting and also seems to encourage needless fidgeting with it. But I still like my D4's.
    It is even usually possible to figure out discrete steps that land exactly on the ramp channels. Toykeeper has a python script she keeps on her site for calculating the steps, although I found it more convenient to copy the same calculation into Excel.

    On the D4S, if you want 7 levels, and you leave the ramp ceiling at the default of step 120, you can set the ramp minimum to 9, 10, or 11 (default is 20), and step 5 will be the 100% 3x7135 channel.

    If you want the lowest possible moonlight, you can choose 7 levels, discrete ramp floor of 1, and discrete ramp ceiling of 124 or 125.

    I have my ROT66 similarly configured with a step exactly at 100% 1x7135 and another at 100% 7x7135.

  22. #22
    Flashaholic* torchsarecool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    lancashire, UK
    Posts
    689

    Default Re: Emisar D18

    Every afternoon I get home from work. Desperately hoping for a parcel to have arrived.
    Hate waiting for new lights!
    Anyone got theirs yet? I'll be doing a YouTube "review" once I get mine. I say review. More just my humble opinions. This light is far to advanced for me to properly detail.
    My channel - Torchesarecool UK

  23. #23

    Default Re: Emisar D18

    Yes please we need pictures or video review or both

    I want to buy it but am not sure about the SST-20 4000-3000k Hi CRI..

    It seems some people like it and others don't and I am really tired of buying lights for just to see the color temp/tint this cost me a lot of money..

  24. #24
    Flashaholic* torchsarecool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    lancashire, UK
    Posts
    689

    Default Re: Emisar D18

    Quote Originally Posted by Nichia! View Post
    Yes please we need pictures or video review or both

    I want to buy it but am not sure about the SST-20 4000-3000k Hi CRI..

    It seems some people like it and others don't and I am really tired of buying lights for just to see the color temp/tint this cost me a lot of money..
    I'll give it a bash mate. I wasn't totally sold on the d4s 3000k so gone for the 4000k for the d18. Hopefully that'll be a sweet spot. Hoping for pwm on low modes to keep green tint at bay
    My channel - Torchesarecool UK

  25. #25

    Default Re: Emisar D18

    Quote Originally Posted by torchsarecool View Post
    I'll give it a bash mate. I wasn't totally sold on the d4s 3000k so gone for the 4000k for the d18. Hopefully that'll be a sweet spot. Hoping for pwm on low modes to keep green tint at bay
    My understanding is D18 has PWM on low modes as follows: 1x7135, 13x7135 and FET.

    Very low modes PWM, but because they are only running off one 7135 chip (usually 350 mAh) for 18 LEDs, current to each LED will be quite low and I'd expect greenish tint shift. Same for the intermediate channel which uses the 13x7135 + the 1x7135. That's still less than 350 mAh per emitter so probably quite green.

    My plan is to install Lee minus-green filter if I can't stand the green. I did that in in my SST-20 4000K 95 CRI Emisar D4 and was quite pleased with the result. I think it's worth a 14% reduction in output from the filter in exchange for no-green.

  26. #26
    Flashaholic* torchsarecool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    lancashire, UK
    Posts
    689

    Default Re: Emisar D18

    Quote Originally Posted by Fireclaw18 View Post

    My plan is to install Lee minus-green filter if I can't stand the green. I did that in in my SST-20 4000K 95 CRI Emisar D4 and was quite pleased with the result. I think it's worth a 14% reduction in output from the filter in exchange for no-green.
    I had considered Lee filters. But how will it affect the tint on high outputs when the green tint naturally diminishes. Will it just make the tint slightly rosy?
    My channel - Torchesarecool UK

  27. #27

    Default Re: Emisar D18

    Quote Originally Posted by Fireclaw18 View Post
    Some notes on the D18:
    - The light uses 18 individual separately mounted optics in their own mounts instead of a one-piece optic. With the individual optics and mounts there doesn't appear to be room for a bezel LED board. However, I'm sure Lexel will give it a shot when he gets his D18 and let us know whether such is possible.
    - Compared to the Noctigon Meteor M43, the D18 is considerably smaller and about twice as bright. It should also have a better UI than the M43.
    - Based on Toykeeper's output and temp sensor chart on BLF I expect turbo output to start at 14,000 lumens then very rapidly ramp down to approximately 3,000 lumens where the temp stabilizes.
    - Supposedly the first D18s have already shipped. One guy in Asia claims to have already received his. And at least one other person on BLF claims to have received his shipping notice today.
    the upcoming astrolux mf01s will have aux leds and also it will have same like d18, 18 sst20 emitters so its a shame emisar didnt make a way with aux leds, i think its a nice feature.

  28. #28

  29. #29
    Flashaholic* torchsarecool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    lancashire, UK
    Posts
    689

    Default Re: Emisar D18

    Cool. First videos appearing. Nice find Nichia
    My channel - Torchesarecool UK

  30. #30

    Default Re: Emisar D18

    I really like the look of the D18 and Hank's lights are generally very good quality. The only thing holding me back from purchasing one is the use of SST-20's which tend to be a bit too green for my liking (would prefer XP-L HI's or even XP-G2's) and the fact that it will probably be a bit too floody for my preferences. I liked how the Meteor M43 used Carclo optics which could be swapped out the have a hotspot or to be pure flood. Only downfall of the M43 is the UI. The D18's UI (being Anduril) is excellent.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •