Emisar D18

Nichia!

Banned
So why nobody here talking about this light yet? Do you guys like or not?

Personally I like it but I don't think there is much difference between the D18 and the NOCTIGON METEOR M43..
363a20851df20aa7275fc58ac2d0fc8a.jpg

Pic from official website

JordanK

Newly Enlightened
Re: Emisar D18 Discussion

I'm a big fan of Emisar lights. Hank's products are targeted at flashlight enthusiasts and they are always high quality and filled with cool features and innovations at a very reasonable price. Not always practical but always super fun. The D18 appears to be no exception. It's a pocket monster with 14,000 lumens, leading edge individual optics and the latest version of Anduril. Like I said....super fun.

i just picked up the Emisar D4S and it's such a hoot. I'm probably going to order this one too but I'm waiting to see what the hardcore enthusiasts have to say once they start showing up in people's mailboxes. IMHO, these high power, soda can lights don't really have any practical applications (other than fun) but I suspect many of the lights we have in our collections have the same issue.

Jordan

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast

IMHO, these high power, soda can lights don't really have any practical applications (other than fun) but I suspect many of the lights we have in our collections have the same issue.

Yeah, I don't really see the purpose in the really floody high-output soda can lights. Other than fun, of course. You really only need about 500 lumens in a floody light. Anything more, and you're just making your pupils contract the same amount as the light increases. If you need to see further, a more concentrated beam makes a lot more sense.

justanotherguy

Enlightened

Looks neat.. I have toy lights already... Thing is with high output small lights... You have a small amount of time to enjoy it...Why not make a million lumen light that flashes once?

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yeah, I don't really see the purpose in the really floody high-output soda can lights. Other than fun, of course. You really only need about 500 lumens in a floody light. Anything more, and you're just making your pupils contract the same amount as the light increases. If you need to see further, a more concentrated beam makes a lot more sense.

I have a 3 acre wooded hillside. They come in handy in some cases.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Recently, two similar threads both of which were addressing the Emisar D18 were merged, as I had felt that one thread would be able to adequately handle the volume of discussion.

However, @Nichia! and others have made their case that this new item is sufficiently popular and important to merit one thread solely devoted to it alone.

So, by popular request, I will move those posts back to this thread ... which now may be used to discuss all things Emisar D18.

Any comparison discussion, with the Imalent MS18 or others, should go to that pre-existing discussion thread ...
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/v...ent-MS18-and-Emisar-D18&p=5295644#post5295644

And if there is any interest in the Imalent MS18 alone, a new thread for that could be started (either here in LED Flashlights, or in the Imalent manufacturers forum)

The staff are here to try to keep the forum clean, clear, and easy to use. Often that requires making a judgment call on when and where to merge and move threads. If you feel strongly about the issue, it is fine to contact staff, but please do so by PM as it can be disruptive to the open forum.

I will now "de-merge" the posts, and clean up those threads, as requested. Thanks :)

Last edited:

Nichia!

Banned
Back to topic

Anyone knows if this will come with auxiliary LEDs like the fireflies E07??

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder what Vinh will be able to do with this one. It needs a giant copper heat sink added.
It is surface area outside that matters with cooling. You can have a massive hunk of copper on the inside but if it is trapped you are sunk.

Last edited:

koziy

Newly Enlightened
I'm still waiting on reviews and beamshots before I pull the trigger. I've been very happy with my Emisars, but some of them are less practical than others.

One problem I had with the D4S with SST-20 emitters is that when you're at lower brightness levels, there is a noticeable green tint to the light. I didn't notice this as much with the regular D4, but I would guess that the D18 will be more like the D4S than like the D4 in this regard, and since these aren't available with Cree emitters (yet), I want to make sure I'll like what I buy. I ended up selling quite a few flashlights recently because they were not exactly what I liked.

I'm also curious just how the D18 optic balances throw and flood. The D4 with its stock optic does a great job producing a floody beam with a little punch. The D4S is a throwy beam with a little flood. I would prefer a throwy beam with a brighter flood than what I get with the D4S, which seems more like a short range search light in the way that the area outside of the beam is just dark, not much spill to light up that area at all.

Finally, I want to know how useful the D18 will be in stepped mode and what kinds of runtime people get at each level. One issue I have taken with the D4 and D4S is that with the ramping UI, it's really hard to estimate runtime at the more sane middle levels. A stepped mode sequence would help this, but only if the step configuration makes sense (I don't have any experience with Andruil, so maybe the answer is already out there). I have an Acebeam headlamp with terrible mode spacing, putting almost all the configurability in the 300-4000 lumen range, which really hurts its utility as a headlamp.

I have no doubt that the D18 will quickly become too hot to hold bare-handed and that the brightness will start to ramp down from 14,000 lumens almost immediately. I'm more concerned with how it performs in the 200-2000 lumen range, and if I get one, I might do a lot of reading about runtimes and configure a mode ceiling right around the 2000 lumen level, see how it performs like that.

mortuus

Newly Enlightened
I wonder what Vinh will be able to do with this one. It needs a giant copper heat sink added.

and what can he do, obey the laws of heat also ? that guy is so overrated:confused:, this light would need a way bigger host, atleast 100mm to help get of the heat, it will probably be a neat light but looking at blf the output will drop from highest already after 30 seconds thats way too fast imo and it settles on around 3-4000k lumens at most... and shame no aux leds they look so nice in my d4s. :sick2:

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some notes on the D18:
- The light uses 18 individual separately mounted optics in their own mounts instead of a one-piece optic. With the individual optics and mounts there doesn't appear to be room for a bezel LED board. However, I'm sure Lexel will give it a shot when he gets his D18 and let us know whether such is possible.
- Compared to the Noctigon Meteor M43, the D18 is considerably smaller and about twice as bright. It should also have a better UI than the M43.
- Based on Toykeeper's output and temp sensor chart on BLF I expect turbo output to start at 14,000 lumens then very rapidly ramp down to approximately 3,000 lumens where the temp stabilizes.
- Supposedly the first D18s have already shipped. One guy in Asia claims to have already received his. And at least one other person on BLF claims to have received his shipping notice today.

NPL

Enlightened
Some notes on the D18:
- The light uses 18 individual separately mounted optics in their own mounts instead of a one-piece optic. With the individual optics and mounts there doesn't appear to be room for a bezel LED board. However, I'm sure Lexel will give it a shot when he gets his D18 and let us know whether such is possible.
- Compared to the Noctigon Meteor M43, the D18 is considerably smaller and about twice as bright. It should also have a better UI than the M43.
- Based on Toykeeper's output and temp sensor chart on BLF I expect turbo output to start at 14,000 lumens then very rapidly ramp down to approximately 3,000 lumens where the temp stabilizes.
- Supposedly the first D18s have already shipped. One guy in Asia claims to have already received his. And at least one other person on BLF claims to have received his shipping notice today.
Regulated closer to 2000 lumens based on Toykeepers comments on BLF, which is lower than M43.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
One issue I have taken with the D4 and D4S is that with the ramping UI, it's really hard to estimate runtime at the more sane middle levels. A stepped mode sequence would help this, but only if the step configuration makes sense (I don't have any experience with Andruil, so maybe the answer is already out there).

D4S has stepped UI - default 7 steps with the option of quite a few more (I've not experimented with this as I find the step/thermal setup modes confusing). I find the spacing to be satisfactory and use it instead of the ramping UI, which for its ability to hit something close to the precisely correct brightness is distracting and also seems to encourage needless fidgeting with it. But I still like my D4's.

Regulated closer to 2000 lumens based on Toykeepers comments on BLF, which is lower than M43.

I also recall Toykeeper mentioning that their lumen-approximating setup wasn't terribly accurate so I wouldn't put too much stock in that number.