Upgrade MiniMag AA or wait for Streamlight Jr. LED

JediKnife

Newly Enlightened
What would be the best route to take here? As a matter of fact, since I've only recently came back to the forums here, what is the best LED mod for the MiniMagAA? Thanks again!

JK

JohnnyB

Newly Enlightened
I recently purchased the Opalec Newbeam and I am very happy with it. It runs forever and stays bright, but I must say that it is my only AA mod so I cannot compare it.

jbrett14

Enlightened
I have the Opalec Newbeam as well, but cannot recommend it. Even though it has a nice light, mine flickers enough to annoy anyone. I would highly recommend the SL, assuming the quality is the same as all their other lights.

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
jbrett14, i wonder if your opalec has a problem somewhere. perhaps an inconsistent ground or faulty electronics?
mine does not flicker at all.

maybe you could have it replaced under warranty.

anyway...for the question above, it depends on what your needs/finances are.

an opalec is roughly $25 + ~$8 for the mag.
it will put out about 40-45 lux at 1 meter. not stunningly bright, but enough for most "around the house" issues.
and it runs dead flat for about 10 hours!

the sandwiches such as badboy/madmax are $40+. they are excellent and proven performers. depending on model, they will give a LOT of light. 250-400+ lux! and they still have reasonable runtimes.
total cost will be at least $50, but you will have a world class light.

more confusion? the pelican M6 LED can be had for ~$45.
(i dont have one, but i have a TL-2 LED, which is similar.) it will be crazy bright, small, rugged...and realtively inexpensive--if you like 123 bats.

perhaps you should wait to see how the new junior does in the reviews. it may be a real winner for $30.

Bob

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
Re: Upgrade MiniMag AA or wait for Streamlight Jr.

I have a beautiful pewter Minimag that has a madmax + (step up converter) with a TV1K Lux III emitter. It uses an NX05 optic. It is as bright as the surefire L4 that I have on hand.

This light is very bright but only runs at full strength for an hour or so. The Opalec, on the other hand, is enough light to walk around with for a long time but not enough to check for burglers in the bushes.

The Madmax with emitter attached as a "sandwich" can be ordered from the Sandwich Shoppe. It comes with an optic and takes a few minutes to install. I think the total cost is around $60 for the sandwich.

Daniel

JediKnife

Newly Enlightened

Do you have the URL for the Sandwich Shoppe? Also, what's the latest date on the SLJr.?

JK

stockae92

Enlightened

i am a little confused looking at that web site ... ?? i have no idea what and how should i order?

i am looking for something LED for my mini mag as well

and do they offer upgrade for mini mag only? do they offer anything for 3D mag?

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/ubbthreads/postlist.php?Cat=&Board=TheSandwichShoppe

check out the link above.

there is a LOT of info under "everything you ever wanted to know..."

then go here: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=312457&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

this will show runtime plots for some of the sandwiches.

here it is in a nutshell:

the badboy series is current regulated: the light will remain constant until bat voltage falls below a certain point. then the light will suddenly dim, or "fall out of regulation". you will still have light, but it wont be very bright.
some prefer this, because they dont like a light to dim over time.

the madmax series is a voltage stepup. it merely steps up the voltage, and as the bats weaken, the light output drops. it is generally a slow dimming over time. some prefer this because the madmax will suck all the juice out of the bats, and they like a slow dim over a sudden drop.

also, you have different luxeons being used in the sandwiches: 1w, and Lux3.
the lux3 is similar to the 1w, but is beefed up to handle higher currents.

then there is low dome and high dome: low domes give a fat flood beam, and the color is generally less perfect. they are still very nice, however.

high domes tend to be whiter, brighter and have a square hotspot with a bright spill--using an NX05 optic. you can also use a fraen optic, and you will have a tight squarish hotspot, with a mild spill. (i think the lux 3's are all high domes)

color rating: Q2 will be more greenish, Q3 will be more white, but may tip to the blue/purple side. (there is al ot more info on luxeon "binning", but i wont get into it here)

from highest APPROXIMATE brightness and shortest runtime (top), to lowest brightness and longest runtime (bottom):

(the top 4 are crazy bright, but will have short runtimes)

madmax + lux3 (high dome, or HD)
BB750 lux3 (HD)
BB650 lux 3 (HD)
MM Q3 (low dome, or LD)
MM Q2 (low dome)
BB400 lux3 (HD)
MM lite lux3 (HD)
MM lite 1w (HD)

now decide: how bright? what runtime is acceptable? what beam patter is preferred? what color is acceptable? what can you afford?

i personally like something that balances runtime and brightness--like the final 5 choices.
i think the BB400 lux3 would be fantastic. i have 2 BB400 q2, and like those as well.

take care,
Bob

TheFire

Enlightened

I have had experience with both the sandwich modules and the newbeam. The newbeam is cheaper, and really great for many uses. It's excellent for reading, walking around when it's really dark, and doing closeup work. It has no throw. The sandwich modules, on the other hand, are brighter, much further throwing, but generally suck for closeup work unless you are working in an area that already has a lot of light. They put out too much light to be doing something closeup in the dark. It's mostly a matter of your needs and budget, but I really like both options a lot.

stockae92

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
gadget_lover said:
I have a beautiful pewter Minimag that has a madmax + (step up converter) with a TV1K Lux III emitter. It uses an NX05 optic. It is as bright as the surefire L4 that I have on hand.

Daniel

[/ QUOTE ]

do you have any overheating problem? will the mini mag handle is with no problem. how much mA is that drawing? (trying to look for the module on the web site)

stockae92

Enlightened

thanks pedalinbob /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif
very good info

utomatoe

Enlightened

Have you considered the new TerraLux MiniMax2? 1W Luxeon drop in replacement for a MiniMag. Easier to install than a sandwich (not that it's hard to drop in a sandwich), but no need for a retaining ring.

Output isn't as great due to the lower current the 1W is driven at (due to thermal issues I assume).

All for around $24.99 at tactical warehouse I think. So close to a newbeam and so much brighter, why buy a newbeam?

The newbeam has a non-existant reflector/optic as well, it's only useful for a wide close up spill.

LightScene

Enlightened

Here's another MiniMag 1 watt Luxeon upgrade alternative for less than $20 from Lambda. This includes heat-sinking.
Lambda

Edit: These are sold out already.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
stockae92 said:
[ QUOTE ]
gadget_lover said:

Daniel

[/ QUOTE ]

do you have any overheating problem? will the mini mag handle is with no problem. how much mA is that drawing? (trying to look for the module on the web site)

[/ QUOTE ]

I've not noticed any heat problems. The LED runs somewhere around 700ma. The light does warm up during use, as it should. I seldom need to use it for more than 5 or 10 minutes.

Daniel

grayman4hire

Newly Enlightened
I have made up my mind. I want the SL Jr. Luxeon! I been looking around and it seems to be the best price for a 2AA Luxeon.

grayman4hire

JediKnife

Newly Enlightened

They look good to me too, but where did you find the price?

JK

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
grayman4hire said:
I have made up my mind. I want the SL Jr. Luxeon! I been looking around and it seems to be the best price for a 2AA Luxeon.

grayman4hire

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, if they have good brightness, decent heatsinking, reasonable runtime and good color, they will sell like hotcakes!

and i will certainly be one of the buyers...

Bob