HDS Systems        
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: What was your prep for today?

Default Re: What was your prep for today?

Don't forget the plain Quaker oatmeal. 55 gallons is a heckuva stash! 👍🏻
    The TK20. Yes, it still rocks- WoodsWalker

Quote Originally Posted by scout24 View Post
    Don't forget the plain Quaker oatmeal. 55 gallons is a heckuva stash! 
    Practically live off of that stuff for years with that much stored away.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

Flashaholic*

Itís gonna be passed around family members. Iíve been accumulating since before the covid hit. Small store locally gets 50 pound bags of rice/pasta/beans all the time for super cheap.
    Big butnotsomuch-burly

Quote Originally Posted by bigburly912 View Post
    Itís gonna be passed around family members. Iíve been accumulating since before the covid hit. Small store locally gets 50 pound bags of rice/pasta/beans all the time for super cheap.
    Well, that makes stocking up easy. Wish there was a store like that by me.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

Do you have flour and yeast for making bread and pancakes?

During this covid thing my brother has really gotten the hang of making bread.
    My Grand Kids call me Poppy

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy View Post

I canít find yeast in bulk anywhere. Itís been sold out everywhere for months
    Big butnotsomuch-burly

I've never made bread, but I think that baking powder, or baking soda (they are different) can be substituted for yeast, maybe either.
    Also I *think* yeast has a limited shelf life, whereas the others may not.

They may be a good alternative.

I canít find yeast in bulk anywhere. Itís been sold out everywhere for months
    Ironically yes, for some incredibly odd reason; yeast has been horrendously difficult to find. Supermarkets in my area have been out since the pandemic arrived in America. Toilet paper is now easy to get a hold of, but not yeast! Had to order some online.

Centuries ago in the Middle East, gold was once traded nearly ounce for ounce for salt. (Livestock need salt, or they die.) At the current going rate online, on some sites that have yeast.... It's obviously not to that point, ounce for ounce. But it sure feels like it! Bulk? Hate to think how much that would set someone back.

In anticipation of canning items being hard to find, I brought home two years worth of Ball jar lids yesterday. We had enough here to get through this year but they won't go bad. Also found some Neem oil concentrate, kind of a jack-of-all-trades flying/crawling pest killer for the garden.

BB- How much yeast would you be looking for?

Quote Originally Posted by Monocrom View Post
    Ironically yes, for some incredibly odd reason; yeast has been horrendously difficult to find. Supermarkets in my area have been out since the pandemic arrived in America. Toilet paper is now easy to get a hold of, but not yeast! Had to order some online.
    Flour without yeast doesn't make particularly good bread. Unless baking powder is a good substitute.

In the first week of hording, many products were swept from the shelves. Flour was one of them, and guess what? Yeast.

Baking yeast has been an issue here as well, still is as I understand it. One coworker a couple weeks into the lockdown brought it up in a Google Meet. Another person chimed in, 'I can give you some. I bought all of them at such-and-such store recently'. There was quiet; a selfish/panic hoarder in our midst, kind of scary how some people can get.

For people who like to make bread consistently, sourdough starter is the way to go if you like the taste. No need to buy yeast. A bakery in San Francisco has starter 160 years old.

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy View Post

Pancakes are really better with baking powder and soda and buttermilk. A little cornmeal to the flour and minimal stirring and youíre good to go. If anybody wants actual recipe, feel free to ask. Iíve been perfecting them for almost 40 years!

Sure ledbetter,
    Post up the recipe, I'll share it with my brother. He's been playing farmer/rancher, baking bread, and making pancakes, while locked in due to covid.
    I'm sure he'll appreciate it.

Me personally, I'm on an anti-inflammatory diet. No grains. Although for the past 5 months, I'm only on a 'make believe' diet.

Best Buttermilk Pancakes

Recipe can be doubled, tripled, etc.

Mix dry together in large bowl:

1 cup flour
    2 tbs medium to coarse corn meal
    1 tsp baking powder
    1/2 tsp baking soda
    1/2 tsp salt
    1 tbs sugar

Mix together wet:
    1 egg
    1 cup buttermilk (room temp is best)
    1 tbs oil or melted butter

Add wet to dry gently with folding motion and STOP when all flour is absorbed. Do Not Overmix! They will not rise!. Sometimes you may need to add small amounts of flour, milk, or simply water if batter is too dry or wet.

Preheat griddle, cast iron will take longer and non stick pans are easiest. Start at medium heat. If you want, you can add small tab of butter to pan before each batch. This will also indicate temp of pan.

Add batter to pan in any size you wish. Covering pan with lid will speed cooking. Flip when small bubbles pop. Adjust heat as needed. Typically best cakes are from last batches. Cool on rack or serve immediately. They freeze well and are great reheated.

Great alternatives:
    Add fresh blueberries when you are adding wet ingredients to dry. Frozen will add too much moisture.Or,
    Add chocolate chips.Or,
    Add mashed bananas, cinnamon(add to dry mix to prevent lumps),and pecans or walnuts for an easy banana bread like pancake.
    Enjoy!
    Last edited by ledbetter; 07-03-2020 at 07:24 PM.

ledbetter,
    It looks great!

Your instructions give a lot more detail than most recipes... Thanks for that!

I already sent it to my brother.

We'll sometimes put M&M's in them.
    Or even fruit cocktail. Makes them particularly juicy.

My Ryobi fan arrived today, this thing moves some air, even on low. I like it. It's got multiple ways to hang or mou t it, and appears robust. Poppy- regarding the 12v charger, one can charge up batteries in the car if the power is out, and if it's sunny today I'm going to see if I can charge from a small solar panel with 12v socket.

BigBurly- Are you still looking for yeast?

scout24,
    I had mine for about a year, and have been using it each night for a couple of hours for the past few weeks.

I'm a bit disappointed with it in that the head does't stay at the angle I set it at, but gradually tilts upwards.
    There is no obvious way to tighten it down.

Does your's stay in place?

Poppy- The two round grey covers on the pivot points will pry out very carefully. There's phillips screws in there. I put an o-ring approx the same size as the outer diameter of the washer, under the washer. (There is a post that the screw secures into, o-ring must be outside that post.) I'll update after use, but it seems there is a good bit more resistance now to up/down movement. The o-ring had to be just about to the outside of the washer, you'll see why if you take it apart. It was in an assorted pile in a drawer, I don't know the size. Screws go into plastic, so go easy...
    20200707_145423_copy_768x1024.jpg
    Last edited by scout24; 07-07-2020 at 01:02 PM.

Thank you Scout!

Using a O-ring is clever!

I'll employ your method of improvement. A very simple fix, something their engineers should have built into the design.

It just allows a bit more tightening of the screw, the pivot post sits flush with the bracket surface when tight, so over tightening accomplishes nothing. O-ring allows for a bit of over tighten...

Bought a second Nesco dehydrator yesterday, we're going to try to dry peas and beans this year in addition to traditional canning. I'm trying to not freeze as much, too, as convenient as it is. Eggs in several baskets and all...

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678