Fenix Outfitters        
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: What was your prep for today?

Default Re: What was your prep for today?

That is a sweet looking garden.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

Thanks folks! Slow but steady this year. Tomatos are all green still, blueberries shoul be fully turned by Aug 1, here's some stuff starting to look like something...

Bignc- I'm sure you're familiar with companion planting where flowers that are beneficial to the veggies for whatever reason are planted side-by-side with your veggies. This year my Wife planted a bunch of marigolds, some in each bed. I'll grab a pic tomorrow.

Attachment 10612
    Attachment 10613
    20190718_200536-768x1024.jpg
    Last edited by scout24; 07-18-2019 at 06:22 PM.
    Wildflower seeds on the sand and stone
    May the four winds blow you safely home...

Flashaholic

Absolutely! I have at least a quart of saved marigolds seeds from the last full garden we did (I only bother with heirloom seeds) and they helped.

I tend to have more issues with moisture management than bugs but DID lose a red potato crop to ants one year!

Also had good luck planting three sisters. Corn with a vining pea plant and a squash at the bottom . Works well!

Awesome on the marigold seeds. Heirloom is the only way to go. I took advantage of the 93+ humid day we had today to run my generators for a little while. Good to be ready for rolling power outages and all. When we had our home rebuilt, an outside generator plug with a blocking plate on the breaker panel was one of the first things that made our list.

Flashaholic

Good call! Honestly, I only have a small Yamaha generator to keep the fridge and freezer going. Those, two fans and charging devices seem comfy and I get almost 8 hours on a gallon of gas.

I would like to put the well and softener and hot water on backup too but haven't spent the dough.

Today, replaced our work gloves, mowed the yard and rotated the gas cans.

Flashaholic

Forgot to note on Sunday that we went to the great Wal of Mart. Not by my choice but the wife needed a craft item for a camp she was headed to. BUT I took the opportunity to go to the camping section. Generally low quality on their actual camping stuff i know- but i thought i would find something..... And i did- snagged a Reliance BPA free 6gal water cube. So dumb that i have limited storage space and never bought one-usually store in 2l bottles but those are awkward.

That's all. Yay me.

Been busy getting firewood split. The garden beds are 5x10' I'll get some pictures up as soon as I get time but they are doing great. Dan

Me and my youngest son have been going out to our hunting property and trying to get some food plots in but it's been pretty hot out lately so we are slowing down some.

Nice tractor! One size up from my New Holland I guess. Mine's 28hp 3cyl diesel. We pulled about 60 garlic plants today, used the foodsaver to put up 12 cups of diced carrots in the freezer, and re-planted the garlic bed with pea plants and carrots. Bed is about 12x3. Peas and carrots have done great this year.

Added additional marine deep cyle batteries and just added extra water hyacinth to floating gardens, to increase size and yield.

Hurricane prep day.
    Fresh oil and fuel for my Honda 2200 generator, a modern hand crank flashlight/radio, mini camping lanterns and batteries for them.
    The LifeGear hand crank light from WalMart for $16.

The 3aaa camping lanterns have 100 lumen high, what appears to be about 15 lumen low and a fairly dim red. Also from WalMart for $3.97ea.

We'll refresh the stockpile of canned foods and veggies along with nuts and beans for fat and protein. I eat nuts instead of junk food anymore so those won't go stale and the beans will go in crock pot meals if we don'tlose power. I'll eat the canned foods at work on days a lunch break isn't practical.

During the summer my marathon running vegan coworkers take suppliments for heat when a can of chicken noodle soup straight out of the can is better than any of those sports drinks for replacing salts and other things. Everyday? Uh, no not a good idea.

Now at Wal Mart if you can do the math it costs less for some batteries in smaller quantities. 6 packs of C cells by Rayovac were about. 87 cents each while 8 packs were a buck twenty two each. I bought 24 for the pair of 3C Maglite ML25's we use on eco to light the kitchen table and den during power outs. The 3D ML300's are for emergencies. And I've got lots of D cells set aside. We have a few power banks stashed as well.
    John 3:16

Quote Originally Posted by bykfixer View Post
    The LifeGear hand crank light from WalMart for $16.
    Those are great for the kids, but not much else; if anything goes wrong with the internal battery or [plastic assembly] crank, you're dead in the water. That one doesn't have AM either, so unless you've got an FM news station, you're only cranking for music. You're much better prepared with that stash of D cell batteries, big cells are ideal for emergency radios for max runtime and not having to stop to switch out/source new batteries - get a radio that can put them to use, like a Kaito KA390 (which also has a built-in light.)

Lemmee guess, the KA390 is available at Amazon?

Lemmee guess, the KA390 is available at Amazon?
    Both Wal-Mart and Kaito themselves have it with free shipping.

KA390, not bad at all.

I don't think this counts as a prep., but good way to get free gear.
    (Yes, there's a catch. You know there always is.)
    Since I have an AMEX card; did notice something.
    Wal-mart's official website, you can pay for items using rewards points.
    They charge you the amount, but then AMEX returns the money.
    And uses your points, instead.
    Got a new water filter pitcher and extra filters doing that.
    Just an idea.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

Scout,
    Thanks for starting this thread.

I think it is time to refresh my stored gasoline, and service my snowblower.

Now that the temps are starting to drop, it may be time to put a sleeping bag back into the trunk of my car. Winter preps are a little different than summer preps.
    My Grand Kids call me Poppy

Glad you're enjoying it Poppy! The more posting the better. We finally pulled some jalapeno peppers from the garden today, Mrs. Scout and I made up a batch of salsa. Our tomatos, garlic, jalapenos, bell peppers, and cilantro. Just salt, sugar, cumin powder, and vinegar from the store.
    Last edited by scout24; 09-08-2019 at 02:12 PM.

My prep did not occur today. Today was the day I had prepped for already.

Company internet went down and the entire office building shut down because everybody uses the cloud, the internet and this skype thing. Not this fella. I mean yeah I do but I don't rely on it.

Because I save everything to my physical laptop or to portable storage, I had the place to myself minus two other old koots like me. Even the printer is tied to their internet. My portable printer worked dandy. Celphones and texts are also tied to their internet. I just reached into my pocket at a nearby gas station and dopped quarters into a pay phone to cancel appointments.

After that I went shopping for a floor sweeper so I can still keep my home vacuum'd in a power outage.

Celphones and texts are also tied to their internet.
    You'd just turn off/forget your phone's default wifi connection and carry on using cell data. Phone calls and texts take place over the data connection and wouldn't use wifi unless you're using some sort of app.

My company phone has a bunch of proprietary tech installed.
    I get zero spam on it so there is that. Great until the system goes down.

Only robo-calls get through at times though.

Today I prep'd my work laptop by sending everything to a double mirrored backup drive. My young trainee was pissed when I made him do the same. He kept making sigh sounds and asked why he had to go to such trouble when the cloud does it automatically. I said "and yet the cloud was so useful that day it was broken,right?"
    He reluctantly agreed.

Whippersnappers... Hopefully they learn right. Sounds like you're teaching him well.

Quote Originally Posted by scout24 View Post
    Glad you're enjoying it Poppy! The more posting the better. We finally pulled some jalapeno peppers from the garden today, Mrs. Scout and I made up a batch of salsa. Our tomatos, garlic, jalapenos, bell peppers, and cilantro. Just salt, sugar, cumin powder, and vinegar from the store.
    Scout that's awesome!
    Bobby Flay would love that!

My vegetable garden is limited to basil.
    My allergies are not as bad as they were, but back in the day I had 2 - 2x20 foot raised beds garden. Pulling weeds was my penance for any wrong-doings. My wife wouldn't eat anything from the garden, and by time the tomatoes were ripe, they were crazy cheap at the store.

So now I grow basil I pickle cucumbers and red onions bought from the store, but not things as fancy as you!

My best friend's mom used to pickle eggplant with garlic and oil. Slap that on a hoagie with sun-dried tomatoes in oil, with fresh mozzarella and any variety of meat, and it is heaven on a bun. It is great that you are prepping with foods that you will eat normally, so that there is less stress should you ever have to rely on your prepped food. Smart... very smart.

Many of our daily calories come from bread. A week into an apocalypse we may want to start making some. Do you have flour and yeast in your list of supplies?
    LOL... how about hops and yeast?

That eggplant sounds great! Heaven on a bun indeed... Raised beds are all that works here without a tremendous amount of work. We have soil with a lot of clay and rocks. We keep some flour here, Mrs. Scout likes to bake on occasion. I've been experimenting with our barbecue this summer, using it on low for indirect cooking. Did a couple corned beef pieces we would normally do in a crock pot. May need to try to bake bread or cookies in there this fall...

I just reached into my pocket at a nearby gas station and dopped quarters into a pay phone to cancel appointments.
    I find it even more astounding that you found a working payphone. It's been the better part of a decade since I've seen one of those in DFW, TX.
    I apologize that this letter is so long; I did not have time to write a short letter

While Boy Scout leadership training we cooked lasagna in a cast iron, dutch oven, over and under charcoal.
    It was really great! Not because we were starving, and I know, because the stew made from processed cold cuts etc, was terrible!

I made sausage, peppers, and onions on the grill, chicken Marsala, and Mrs. Dash seasoned chicken with cilantro, coriander, lime juice, white wine, celery, onions, and carrots, (the Holy trinity) a little brown sugar in a deep stainless frying pan on the grill, with the cover on. Just awesome, and all the heat is OUTSIDE the house!

Today I looked at a couple of "On the trail meals"
    One was made by boiling water, and mixing it with a bag/box of Ramen noodles, some instant potatoes, and cut up pieces of spam. I think I would use canned or bagged chicken or tuna before spam. But all blended together in a freezer quality zip lock bag.

I think that it makes sense to practice, if even in your mind, how to prepare foods on the run.

Today I made another one pot meal.
    Montreal chicken seasoning, and some flour in a baggie. Threw in some chicken and then fried it up in some olive oil.
    Poured out the excess oil, added some chicken stock (water with a little salt or a bullion probably would have done as well) and a bag of frozen veggies. Later I added some bulking grains such as rice, couscous, quinoa.

Ordered my LT1 lantern. Psyched to add this to the portfolio.

Would like to add a small solar charger. Maybe 10 watts. The ones Iím looking at supply 12volts, which I can step down to 5, if necessary (my batt chargers take either 5 or 12 V in). Any issues with just plugging the batt charger straight into the panel? Iím tracking the possibility for a charge error if the amps/volts drop. Anything else to keep an eye out for? Thx.
    Last edited by lion504; 10-13-2019 at 03:23 AM.
    My Lights

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234