Imalent        
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: What was your prep for today?

Default Re: What was your prep for today?

Good morning Peter!
    During SuperStorm Sandy, I used an illegal suicide cord to back-feed my panel.
    As soon as the dust settled, I installed a interlock kit, and ran a dedicated line to a generator power inlet box outside.
    That was a 220V generator, and I owned the house, so running a dedicated line was a no-brainer.
    When I sold the house it was a selling point.

My next house had a professionally installed natural gas generator with an automatic transfer switch.

This house is a rental that we will be in for 4 years. Then the kids will be in college and we'll move to where the cost of living is less. I'm looking into how to feed the panel (which is a 220V panel) with a 110V generator. Likely I'll use a interlock, and feed only one leg of the 220 circuit. I need to see if that will pass code, or if there will be a problem due to the fact that I do have a 220V Central air conditioning AC unit, (which of course will not run). I don't know, if somehow power to one leg of the AC can back-feed through it to the other leg. IF that is possible, then I may have to get an interlock that will block both the MAIN breaker, AND the 220V AC unit breaker, when the generator breaker is ON.

During Sandy, I learned that I had to balance my panel such that one refrigerator was on one 110V leg, and the other refrigerator was on the other 110V leg.
    However, running only 110V, I would want both my refrigerator, and freezer, on the same leg, AND the heating system.

Regarding powering the heating system with an extension cord, I've seen it suggested that one may turn the power to the heater into an outlet receptacle, and connecting a pigtail to the heating unit. Then if power to the receptacle fails due to an outage, one may run the furnace with an extension cord from the generator. There was a discussion stating how that might not meet electrical code. So I'll have to do some research.

Certainly it would have been cheaper and easier to get a 220V portable gennie, but they are LOUD. So I am trading loosing central AC (and if necessary using a window unit to cool a couple of rooms, rather than the entire house) for quietness, and using less fuel (the bigger 220V units are gas hogs). During Sandy, obtaining fuel meant waiting in a gas line for hours.
    Last edited by Poppy; 08-29-2020 at 04:51 AM.
    My Grand Kids call me Poppy

Flashaholic*

I just saw this, great thread!

I take a private kickboxing lesson with my Daughters once a week! We will gradually get into edged weapons and firearms.

We also train for and do Spartan races.

kelmo

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by StarHalo View Post
    ...Soviet...
    You are giving away your age StarHalo!
    Last edited by kelmo; 08-30-2020 at 10:51 AM.

Flashaholic*

I'm looking for a rifle(s) that shoots .38/.357 cartridges. This caliber of long gun provides plenty of punch within a 100 m envelope. There are a few on the market I am interested in. I want to have one ammo type for both pistol and rifle.

kelmo

Marlin 1894cs is my go-to, Kelmo. Goes well with my revolvers.
    The TK20. Yes, it still rocks- WoodsWalker

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by scout24 View Post
    Marlin 1894cs is my go-to, Kelmo. Goes well with my revolvers.
    Hey scout24, that was at the top of my list. Did you recently purchase yours? I've been reading about a lot of quality control issues Marlin has been having lately. I grew up shooting a Winchester 30-30 carbine. I'm pushing 60 and really don't tolerate the big recoils anymore... My second choice is the Ruger 77.

kelmo

I fired a few hundred rounds through a Ruger 77 Sporter 30-06. Man-O-Man that was a shoulder punishing weapon!

That was in DCM Division of Civilian Marksmanship 300 yards iron sights competition, so I could qualify for a discounted surplus M1 Garand.
    The M1 rifle is a . 30 caliber, gas-operated, 8 shot clip-fed, semi-automatic rifle. It is 43.6 inches (1,107 mm) long and it weighs about 9.5 pounds (4.31 kg).
    The Garand, weighing almost 10 pounds, and being a semi-automatic with a heavy recoil spring, was a nightmare to carry, but a dream to shoot. Whereas the sporter was punishing to the shoulder, the Garand's recoil was more like someone gave your shoulder a good hard open hand shove. Being the baby I am, I put a rubber recoil pad on the butt stock on top of the durable steel plate

I like the concept of having a rifle and pistol that will fire the same cartridge. My first gun was a shotgun, followed by a Ruger Security Six (357) which as you know will fire 38's or 357's. I bought a number of handguns in different calibers so that whatever ammunition is available, I'd have something that could shoot it. I bought a 44 mag. Ruger Super Redhawk, and then a 44 mag long arm, (I think it is a Ruger). I never did get around to firing it.

For giggles, I looked up the trajectory for 38/357 at 100 yards.
    357 Magnum will drop less than an inch @ 50 yards and will have half the drop of a . 38 Special (five feet) @ 100 yards. Using a longer barrel like usually used for hunting a 180gr bullet will probably drop less than 4" @ 100 yards

As I thought, shooting a 38 special at 100 yards is like lobbing a stone that far. haha

Kelmo- No, I've had it for a good number of years. I have no experience with the Ruger 77, but if Marlin's having issues, that may be a better choice.

Preparing for fall and winter.

Today was the first that the weather was predicted to have a high of 75 F.
    Nice weather to check my gas drinking toys.

I noted last year a surging idle in the snow blower, and I found a disconnected thin hose. Thinking it may be causing a vacuum leak, I was determined to change it out this year.

Oh NO!!! F...ing squirrels! They ate my plastic gas cap! Oh yeah and put a hole in my fuel line!

I went to the Home Depot, and bought the wrong cap, and they were out of fuel line. I bought a in-line fuel filter (thinking that would add two inches to the line) and I'd be good. NO... life would not be that easy today! I needed to make a bend in the line where the filter would be, and it wouldn't fit anywhere else.

OK off to a commercial lawn mower supplier/ service shop. I got there just as they were closing up. The guy took one look at my cap, and laughed as he walked away from me saying... F...ing squirrels!
    I laughed out loud! And told him, that was EXACTLY what I said!

I had to take more things off, than should have been necessary to replace the fuel line, but it is what it is. eh?

I pulled the bowl off of the carb, cleaned it up good, got the float working as it should, things should be good. Put everything back together. Put some fuel in the tank, just to be sure, and it wouldn't start! Very weak spark, and then NO spark!

Thank God I have an electric starter and didn't pull my arm out trying to start it.

I guess tomorrow I'll be checking the ignition system, maybe Wednesday because I have a lot planned for tomorrow.

I didn't get to the leaf blower yet.

Regarding my snowblower repair:
    I had to take too much stuff apart to get at the magneto, and pull it. But I did what had to be done.

I found a number of them online, Amazon and such, for $15-$20, and went to a local commercial shop that repairs commercial mowers. There a new magneto cost $55 but was told that it was OEM, not returnable, and that I could get cheaper stuff online. Wanting to get the snow blower job done, and wanting to keep this place in business, I bought it.

I jerked around with that darn thing for a couple of days on and off, and asked for help on a Bronco Forum, I hang at. I still couldn't get spark. I bought a new digital multi-meter because when my son took his tools up to his house recently, he took his Fluke, and my cheaper unit was also in his box.

So, with my newly purchased Auto Ranging, Digital Multi-meter, I tested the new coil, and it had/has an open circuit! BAD COIL!!!

I ordered one from Amazon, and with a delay in shipping, I finally picked it up at the post office yesterday.

Maybe I'll install it tomorrow.
    Wish me luck.

I created a deep freezer Inventory sheet
    If I thaw a frozen item I want to keep track - how long can it remain thawed before I have to use it. This solves that problem
    Yesterday, I separated out 7 pounds of skinless boneless chicken breasts, filleted, and pounded them out, and bagged them
    three pieces each. I did the same for 2-3 pounds of skinless thighs, and 10 legs were broken into 3 separate bags. I labeled
    each bag, with its Frozen date and sell by date. I then filled in my inventory sheet.
    For example, I had 6 bags of breasts. I left the first 6 quantity boxes empty, and crossed out the remaining four. As I pull them out
    I'll cross out one of the boxes. It's like counting on your fingers.
    I hope someone finds this useful.

Item Description Date Frozen Sell by date Best by Date or Use # Days after thawed Quantity X out when used/removed
    ⬜ ⬜ ⬜ ⬜ ⬜ ⬜ ⬜ ⬜ ⬜ ⬜
    ⬜ ⬜ ⬜ ⬜ ⬜ ⬜ ⬜ ⬜ ⬜ ⬜
    ⬜ ⬜ ⬜ ⬜ ⬜ ⬜ ⬜ ⬜ ⬜ ⬜
    ⬜ ⬜ ⬜ ⬜ ⬜ ⬜ ⬜ ⬜ ⬜ ⬜
    ⬜ ⬜ ⬜ ⬜ ⬜ ⬜ ⬜ ⬜ ⬜ ⬜
    ⬜ ⬜ ⬜ ⬜ ⬜ ⬜ ⬜ ⬜ ⬜ ⬜
    ⬜ ⬜ ⬜ ⬜ ⬜ ⬜ ⬜ ⬜ ⬜ ⬜
    Last edited by Poppy; 09-10-2020 at 05:46 AM.

Grabbed topographical maps for the region (some 5 GB worth!). I'll print and laminate relevant ones.
    I apologize that this letter is so long; I did not have time to write a short letter

Spent the better part of the day pulling out 95% of what was still in the garden. Dehydrating two machines worth of string beans right now. Moved two poblano pepper plants into the greenhouse, along with what's left of the lettuce. All the remaining green tomatos went in there to ripen as well. Moved the chicken coop to it's semi-permanent winter home next to the garden, they'll have a fenced in run by the end of the week.

Scout,
    That's a lot of work, but since you are doing it, it must be fun. Certainly there is a feeling of achievement, and satisfaction upon completing of such tasks, and eventually when you sit down and eat them, whoohoo!

Also the feeling that you can be self sustained for a bit, without relying on the production of others, must also be gratifying.
    Good for you!

Thank goodness I am on Covid time, meaning that I have plenty of it!

I swapped a second magneto into my snow blower and then I got spark!
    It would run on ether, but wasn't getting fuel from the tank.
    I tried gumout to no avail, so I figured it would be easier to swap in a new $14 carburetor, then to pull the old one and fix it.
    All the screws that would need to be removed were frozen in place (after 20 years). I needed to use WD-40 and an impact hammer to get the intake manifold off.
    Fortunately after cleaning the carb, and adjusting the float, it starts and runs nicely.

After dealing with all these issues, I decided to build a faraday cage to protect it.

Nah... just kidding.

I want to keep those furry tailed rats from chewing on my fuel line, gas tank, or ignition wires.
    Last edited by Poppy; 09-28-2020 at 03:37 AM.

Prepping for winter, and the coming snows, I trimmed a tree that had some branches resting on the roof.

I think next year, we'll do some more significant pruning.

I reached these with an electric pole saw chain saw.

Thanks, Poppy. Yes it's rewarding, and yes it's a bunch of work. Worth it though. Snow blower is on my list of things to go through this month. Don't forget your ethanol free fuel!

scout24,
    I think all the gas stations around here only have ethanol blended fuel.

The Home Depot, and Lowes sells ethanol free fuel in 32OZ cans @ about $6 a quart!

The owner's manual for the predator generator I just bought, said nothing about ethanol, but that one MUST use fuel stabilizer, or that would void the warranty. So I bought some Sta-Bil and will use it.

From what I read, it appears that 2 cycle engines may be more adversely affected by water absorption of ethanol because the lubricating oils don't blend with the absorbed water. Yet, I think that if you keep the fuel container tightly capped, little moisture could get in to contaminate the fuel.

My brother says that he has a few containers and, every few months, whatever hasn't been used, he pours into his car/truck and refills them with fresh gas.

Generally, that is what I have done over the years. I had a couple of one gallon and two gallon containers. For the most part, only one or two would have fuel in them, unless there was a pending storm.

Do you run your machines on ethanol free gas, or just when you think you will be putting them away for a number of months?
    Last edited by Poppy; 10-02-2020 at 04:00 PM.

Checked... 4 1/2 gallons of fuel for the gennie, and toped off some battery packs, and batteries.
    We have the remnants of Hurricane delta coming through. Fortunately a bit less severe than originally predicted.

Poppy- I missed your question above until this morning. I find ethanol free worth the cost and difficulty to find. Even running every couple months, fuel sits in the carb and fuel lines. Seafoam treatment works well as a cleaner, but nothing beats not having ethanol in the first place. If you can drain your carb and clean out the float bowl for storage, that's probably the best plan if still using ethanol fuel.

My prep was to buy and install a UPS.
    We've finally moved into our new house, and as we only use the telephone line for internet access I've decided not to have one. There's a wireless internet mast on the top of a barn about a mile away in clear sight, so I've signed up with them. It's called ItsWisp - geddit?
    Anyway, the mobile phone coverage is crap out here, so using something called a femtocell I can send all the phone calls over the internet.
    Trouble is this all uses electricity, so if there's a power outage, we have no phone for emergencies. So I'm running it all off a UPS. Our power cuts are common but only usually last a couple of hours, I tested the UPS to give us 4 hours plus powering the antenna, router, femtocell and ethernet switch.
    I've always got the generator for longer cuts, but I must buy it a new starter battery and some wheels!

The whole house is wired with Cat6 cable, so I've put all the hardware in the loft and ended up with a minimalist office.
    P
    "O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!" He chortled in his joy.

Quote Originally Posted by peter yetman View Post
    My prep was to buy and install a UPS.
    We've finally moved into our new house, and as we only use the telephone line for internet access I've decided not to have one. There's a wireless internet mast on the top of a barn about a mile away in clear sight, so I've signed up with them. It's called ItsWisp - geddit?
    Anyway, the mobile phone coverage is crap out here, so using something called a femtocell I can send all the phone calls over the internet.
    Trouble is this all uses electricity, so if there's a power outage, we have no phone for emergencies. So I'm running it all off a UPS. Our power cuts are common but only usually last a couple of hours, I tested the UPS to give us 4 hours plus powering the antenna, router, femtocell and ethernet switch.
    I've always got the generator for longer cuts, but I must buy it a new starter battery and some wheels!

The whole house is wired with Cat6 cable, so I've put all the hardware in the loft and ended up with a minimalist office.
    P
    Peter,
    That sound's like an awesome prep!

In order for me to get my wifi up and running, I'd need to fire up the gennie. So I started thinking maybe a inverter would be good to have too!

Son of a gun... ryobi has a 150 watt inverter that can be powered by their 18V batteries. I have a few of those 18V batteries. Unfortunately even my 6Ah batteries are only 108 watts hours.

Do you have a break-down of how many watts each unit needs?

My friend has a kill-a-watt that I can borrow, I guess that would be a good idea to play with it for a day.

Whoa is me

Leaves are starting to fall, and I went to my ride on lawn mower to scoop them up. Oh no... dead battery! No pull cord. I can't find my battery charger. My generator has a 12V output, but for some reason I thought that it didn't come with the necessary cable. There were warnings in the manual that it is an unregulated 12 volts and that you shouldn't use it to charge a battery. So I pulled the battery, carried it to my car, and with jumper cables let my alternator charge it for 20-30 minutes.

I was able to start the mower and pick up three garbage cans of leaves. Good job Poppy!

When I tested the battery for voltage, it was FLAT DEAD, Zero volts! It came up to 12V after charging, but I didn't know if that was surface charge, and/or if it would hold a charge. SLAs don't do well if you fully discharge them. The next day I went out and checked the battery, it was at only 10 volts. Ah... not good. So I jump on the net for a new battery, that is well rated, at the best price, available locally. It seems that they are about $40 and negative ratings seem to say that they only last two winters, even with occasional topping off of the charge, if kept in an unheated garage or outside. My mower lives outdoors, and I looked all over for my charger. Winter is coming, so I don't really want to buy a new battery now (now that I'll only start the mower maybe three more times this season) I'd rather wait until after winter and get an extra year out of the battery.

Then it dawned on me to get one of those LiIon jump starter battery packs!

The 10 volt dead battery almost cranked the engine, but with this jump starter attached, it cranked nice and fast as it should.

Now if the battery in my generator goes dead, I can use this to start that too.

This should be good for I guess 5-10 years, @ $60 a good preppy investment.
    It was a spur of the moment purchase, and I see that similar units are available for about $40, of course the quality of the battery may vary considerably.

Oh... yesterday I met my son and his girlfriend at a winery. It was a very pleasant afternoon. I told him about my ordeal, and not being able to find the charger despite looking high and low. She described it to me. It is in their closet. He forgot he had it, I had loaned it to him for his trolling motor battery. I think he sold the motor, so I should get the charger back later today.

I'm amazed by those little jump starters. i used to borrow one from a mate to jump my old truck (RIP) and the power it delivered was really something. I may well have to get one of my own for this Winter, but we are in the unusual situation for us, of having two servicable vehicles between us. It's never been known before.

As to the power requirements of the phone and internet system, I used a very unscientific method as I couldn't find the power rating for each item.
    I just looked at the power rating for each wall wart, added them together, knocked off a bit for headroom and ended up with a power figure. Then I did a runtime test which at least confirmed that I was in the correct ballpark.
    I'm very much one for "suck it and see", and then worry if it doesn't work.
    P
    "O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!" He chortled in his joy.

Thanks Peter, adding the wattage of the wall warts was clever.

When I got the charger from my son, I charged up the lawn mower battery for about 6 hours.
    It has been holding a charge, so far I am lucky.

My prep for the day is:

Winter is coming here in the NE, and tonight the temps will drop to a predicted 27 F.

I turned the water supply off to my outside faucets, and opened them, for them to drain. Yeah... don't need any frozen pipes.

With the possibility of excitement onward of Tuesday evening I've stocked up on staple grocery items to pad my usual buffer of essentials.
    I apologize that this letter is so long; I did not have time to write a short letter

My wife is bringing in the last of the plants as we speak...
    a single sunbeam is enough to drive away many shadows- St. Francis of Assissi

I guess sometimes prepping is just thinking about possible scenarios, and how to respond.

During Superstorm Sandy I had a 10HP gasoline thirsty generator. It was LOUD, but functional. I had a few gas cans, a full sized bronco with a forty gallon tank, a windstar with a 25 gallon tank, a crownvic with an 18 gallon tank, and whatever car my daughter had at the time. We had ample warning that the storm was coming so we topped them all off with fuel.

The beauty of the Fords at that time, is that they all had a Schrader valve (like a tire valve) on their fuel rail to use for diagnostic fuel pressure testing. I learned how to jump the fuel pump relay, put a tube on the Schrader valve, and use the in-tank fuel pump to fill my 2 gallon tanks for the generator.

I don't have the Bronco any more, nor the windstar. I now have a Grand Marquis.
    I thought... let me see where the fuel pump relay is and how I would jump it.

I discovered that the system is different on this newer car. First of all the fuel pump is controlled by the PCM, and some sensors, Just jumpering the relay won't work. BUT Even more important, even if I could get the pump to work (which I can by jumping pins in the fuel pump driver module) There is NO Schrader valve!

Some cars have an anti-theft screen in the tank so that no one can siphon, and steal fuel out of the tank.
    So now I need to pick up a hose, or siphon kit to see if I can get the fuel out of my car if needed.

Tomorrow they are predicting 45 MPH winds that may take down some trees, and power lines.
    Last edited by Poppy; 11-02-2020 at 11:20 AM. Reason: spelling

Poppy- There is actually a check valve in the fuel neck of your Grand Marquis. Picture the whittler's project, a ball in a cage. It's for rollover accidents to keep the fuel in the tank. When upright, fuel flows past the caged ball. When inverted, it stops flow. Are you sure about the schrader valve? 2011 was the last year, and they're the same as my beloved Crown Vic's which had them until the end of production. If all else fails, a 1/4 OD hose will wiggle past the ball in the filler neck with some finesse to SLOWLY drain the tank. There's even a Ford part number for the tool. (Siphon hose) I know the earlier 4.6's were constant duty fuel pressure and just switched the pump on and off, I believe the later ones were variable duty cycle, hence the pcm being involved.

Edit- You can always remove either imput or output line from your fuel filter, located inbound of the frame rail just in front of the passenger rear tire and jump the pump out as you described. It would become a two person job, but you'd get fuel a lot faster than the siphon hose. The clips are fiddly, and plastic, but are cheap to replace if they break.
    Last edited by scout24; 11-01-2020 at 08:03 PM.

I know that my '99 crownvic had a schrader valve, I was told at the crownvic.net forum that the schrader valve was removed either 2005 or 2006. I guess I'll have to check.

Here is a part of the wiring diagram for my 2008 4.6 Grand Marquis.
    It appears that if I jumper pin 5 to 4, and 2 to 3/ground of the fuel pump driver module, that the pump should run constantly.

There is a fuel pressure sensor in the fuel rail to give feedback to the PCM.

If I don't have a schrader valve, I would have to be VERY Motivated to get under the car to disconnect the fuel line to get gas out of her.
    I assume that the disconnect tool is the same for my '90 bronco. I don't remember if I ever replaced the fuel filter for the '99 crown vic. Certainly not the 2008 Grand Marquis. If so... I have the tool.

This one might be more clear

And always... Thanks for your help!
    poppy
    Last edited by Poppy; 11-01-2020 at 09:12 PM.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast