Malkoff        
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: What was your prep for today?

Default Re: What was your prep for today?

BTW --

Canned Goods, stored at room temperature
    are CERTAINLY usable well past their
    stamped Use By dates ! ! !

< just sayin' >

Quote Originally Posted by Burgess View Post
    BTW --

Canned Goods, stored at room temperature
    are CERTAINLY usable well past their
    stamped Use By dates ! ! !

< just sayin' >
    So much this. The ... deterioration ... of "Best if used by..." dates might lead cynics to conclude that the marketing hucksters had taken over from the steady improvement in food safety we've seen over the last century.
    I apologize that this letter is so long; I did not have time to write a short letter

Flashaholic

Bought a surefire Aviator a2 for parts for $60 here. LOL
    Bought a couple more pounds of rifle powder.

Finally organized and spreadsheeted (spreadshat?) my ammo and reloading components....

Nice catch on that A2. Made a DIY face mask to work with cannibalized vacuum cleaner bags. Started updating the Emergency folder on my computer. Purpose of the folder is to tell my wife how to continue with financial operations if something happens to me (bank accounts, bills, investments, etc.). I do all the money stuff, and while not overly complex, it would probably be a real pita for her to figure it out without a cheat sheet.
    ďExpertsĒ are wrong about half the time. [My_Lights]

We bought a backup DVD player.
    John 3:16

Flashaholic

Bought 2 more pounds of Reloader 15. ( they don't carry jugs locally so whatever. Lol)

Had some pretty frank discussion with friends and extended family this week. Not "this is the end!" talks but " are you paying attention at all? "

Also a couple of- let's say good acquaintances - asked about guns. One I told to get a time machine and go back to any of the other times that I told him to buy. The other I made buy something and gave her the ammo for it.

I also closed the lobby of my office to walk in traffic. We can still do all our regular business over the phone and electronically and actually have stayed pretty busy.

I was happy to hear last week that crime in NJ has dropped, and so have shootings.

Kennesaw Georgia, back in the late 70's passed an ordinance that every household had to have a firearm.
    The police training officer gave free hand-gun safety courses, and women by the hundreds signed up for them.

Burglaries dropped to ZERO. I remember reading a study years ago, that burglars in the US were more concerned of being shot by a home-owner than a police officer. They therefore tried to NOT enter the home if someone was at home. Now we have more people staying at home.
    My Grand Kids call me Poppy

Been a bit since I posted here. Mrs. Scout and I have peas and carrots coming up under two cold frames in her garden, I built a third cold frame for her for spinach and lettuce. She has some herbs coming up in her greenhouse, it's still early here but it's nice to get moving on it. Spent yesterday starting to build our chicken coop for the six Rhode Island Red chicks we picked up on March 12th. Should be close to done today. Pics to follow...

Chicken coop day 1
    https://i921.photobucket.com/albums/...404_152436.jpg

Cold frames
    https://i921.photobucket.com/albums/...405_134331.jpg

Pea plants
    https://i921.photobucket.com/albums/...405_133845.jpg
    Last edited by scout24; 04-05-2020 at 06:13 PM.
    The TK20. Yes, it still rocks- WoodsWalker

We know where to get eggs now. Just travel 478 miles and make a left at the big oak near the fire hydrantÖÖ

I bought 1000 coffee filters today. Recycled paper kind. Those things are pretty handy for a lot of things.

I quit drinking since the beginning of this and have gotten out for a walk or bike ride daily. Have been taking plenty of vitamin C, eating fresh fruits and veggies. The body needs to stay prepped too, even more so important with a situation like the current one

Agreed j r. Agreed.

I prepped this morning by taking an antihistimene allergy pill I found helps each year. Pollen is dusting my world and with everybody on pins and needles everywhere I did not want to be sneezing and wheezing around the few people I do see lately. It helped. Face itches a lot less too.

Usually I just let pollen allergy run its course but this year I'm trying to be cognizant of those around me.

Covid-wise I opened doors with my elbow or carried scrap paper to use as a disposable glove. I keep my beard trimmed closer to halt the itch too. Screw shaving anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by bykfixer View Post
    Agreed j r. Agreed.

I prepped this morning by taking an antihistimene allergy pill I found helps each year. Pollen is dusting my world and with everybody on pins and needles everywhere I did not want to be sneezing and wheezing around the few people I do see lately. It helped. Face itches a lot less too.

Usually I just let pollen allergy run its course but this year I'm trying to be cognizant of those around me.

Covid-wise I opened doors with my elbow or carried scrap paper to use as a disposable glove. I keep my beard trimmed closer to halt the itch too. Screw shaving anymore.
    LOL... I shaved closer so that the mask fits tighter!

Built two more raised beds for Mrs. Scout and finally screened the topsoil to fill them this week. Our chickens spent their first night outside in their new coop last night. Hard to believe they're six weeks old. Pea plants are looking great under the cold frames. Pics later...

Peas and carrots. It's been in the high 20's/low 30's at night since we planted them. 6-7" tall. What didn't sprout has been re-planted.
    Last edited by scout24; 04-28-2020 at 10:15 AM.

We prepped for a potential slow down in certain foods in the near future before the hoarders begin their thing. What I mean is we went in with others to buy a couple of cows through a local butcher. Not many folks knew you could drop in a little store and invest in a cow. No we did not buy a whole cow, a pig or a bunch of chickens. We commited to buying X Y and Z over the next few weeks from a local butcher who receives product from local farmers.

When the whole thing began we bought food like normal but ate a lot more take out. Idea being help out small business while preserving what he had in the freezer.

Interesting comment Mr Fixer.
    Kinda goes with the fact the there is much disparity in different parts of the country. I don't know if we have ANY local butchers near me anymore. Placing orders for the future is like buying "future markets" Smart! And you are supporting local business.... that's great too!

I was speaking with a long time friend yesterday about the possible coming meat shortage do to the processing plant closings.

About 5 years ago... maybe it was longer. Many of the large supermarkets starting laying off butchers, and started relying on centralized meat processing. I said to my friend "I wonder if they will bring the butchers back and process the meats, in store as they used to. Buy a side of beef, and do it up!

As I previously stated, the supermarket I go to has started selling bulk chopped meat, (5 and 10 lb packages) and more vacuum packed roast cuts of beef. Both probably aimed at the restaurant suppliers.

I may have missed any current news about the processing plants, but last I saw they were taking steps to protect the workers with plastic barriers between workers, and temperature takings before admissions.
    Hopefully, their steps will protect the workers, and they will be able to re-open, if even at a reduced capacity.

If FEMA can add 2,500 beds in the Javits center in a week, they can certainly extend the length of the conveyor belts so that there is more distance between workers on the line.
    Last edited by Poppy; 04-29-2020 at 08:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by scout24 View Post
    Built two more raised beds for Mrs. Scout and finally screened the topsoil to fill them this week. Our chickens spent their first night outside in their new coop last night. Hard to believe they're six weeks old. Pea plants are looking great under the cold frames. Pics later...

Peas and carrots. It's been in the high 20's/low 30's at night since we planted them. 6-7" tall. What didn't sprout has been re-planted.
    scout... nice prepping.

We have this little nest 20 inches from the back door to our garage.
    My grandkids are convinced that it is a robin's nest... sure as snot... Poppy doesn't know anything.
    Yesterday, I saw a female Cardinal sitting there, in the rain.
    Made me think... they do such a nice job of building a nest, why don't they build a roof?

Your chickens are lucky.

BTW the eggs hatched, and they have to sit in the rain when mommy isn't around.

You've gotta think small Poppy. Small town that is. My former mentor raises a few dozen cows each year and told me about that option several years ago.

Ironically he don't eat beef. lol "Beef? That stuff'll kill ya" he says.

Going back to work inspired me to update my car kit. This kit is multi purpose between items needed for work, hunkering down in my car, or putting predetermined items in my backpack to trek home. I work from a range of an 8 hour walk, to a 18 hour walk from home. Getting home to my family is always priority one, and being in the Bay Area there is many scenarios where the freeways could be shut down. Iíve seen it happen during Loma Prieta. Iíve practiced loading my bag and hiking with my kit and it seems manageable. Feel free to offer pointers, or recommendations on my kit.

Sawyer Water filter kit (blue bag)
    Case Water bottles (I always keep a case + in the car and use them as needed)
    Stainless steel single wall water bottle
    Water storage bladder
    First Aid kit with meds
    Knife (mora garberg)
    Lighter/ ferro rod/ fatwood/ tinder (red bag)
    Food ration bars
    Wool blanket
    Hammock (also great for lunch breaks)
    Compression sack (to strap wool blanket to backpack)
    Cordage
    Compass
    Maps with potential water refills marked
    Flashlight hd super md4 and headlamp, Armytek tiara c1 pro warm
    Cr123 batteries
    4 ea 18650
    Charger power bank combo pb2s
    Charging cables
    Biolite solar charger
    Small radio (I wish there was a cr123 option)
    Leatherman Wave
    Pepper Spray (Iím in CA so canít keep a firearm with me during work)
    Shemagh
    Tp
    Hand sanitizer
    Biodegradable Wipes
    Military poncho/ tarp
    $100, creatively hidden
    Osprey backpack

Items below are for emergency car use and work:
    Hardhat
    Gloves
    N90 masks
    Rope
    Flares
    Caution tape
    Duct tape
    Reflective vest
    Car starter power bank combo
    Jumper cables
    Bolt cutters
    Crowbar
    Screw gun
    Tape measure/ laser measure
    Empty gas can
    Tire pressure gauge

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice list! I like the map with potential water sources marked. May have to add that... If any of your travels take you through urban/ industrial/ strip mall areas, I'd consider adding a sillcock key to access water from buildings, just for redundancy. I think mine was $15.00 at the Big Orange home store. Maybe a spare pair of socks as well. (Moleskin in your FAK?)

Nice list! I like the map with potential water sources marked. May have to add that... If any of your travels take you through urban/ industrial/ strip mall areas, I'd consider adding a sillcock key to access water from buildings, just for redundancy. I think mine was $15.00 at the Big Orange home store. Maybe a spare pair of socks as well. (Moleskin in your FAK?)
    Iíve got the moleskins in my fak but the sillcock key and some extra socks are excellent ideas. Might come in handy for work too. Thank you!

I store my socks and some parachute cord inside my water bottle... 😁👍Takes up no room in storage.

With WFH looking to be A Thingô for much of the rest of the year, I'm putting serious thought into a backup generator for the house that can run critical 120V circuits (i.e. the home office, indoor/outdoor lighting, lower-power kitchen circuits). A 3000W model seems like it should handle critical 120V loads. I've got a convenient place outdoors for a doghouse to situate it in near the service entry and secure it when idle. I'd likely hire an electrician to install a transfer switch.

Question I need to answer is whether this is worth low 4 figures money to me for the ~annual 4-8 hour blackout with its 30-mile trek to the office as well as shorter blackouts.
    I apologize that this letter is so long; I did not have time to write a short letter

Purchasing a Honda or Yamaha inverter generator with an hour meter and saving service receipts is probably the best way to get as much money back out of your purchase if you consider selling down the road. Not sure if future return helps justify the outlay, but there it is. I've had my smaller Honda for almost 20 years, wouldn't trade it. My big one will also run 220v for my well pump if needed, we've had it about 4 years. It also is a keeper...

I store my socks and some parachute cord inside my water bottle... Takes up no room in storage.
    Thanks buddy, good option.

In the winter I keep a long handled shovel in the trunk, and a 100' length of 1/2" or 5/8" line, and a pulley.
    I usually don't wear waterproof shoes/boots, so I also keep some of those really thin bags that are in the grocery isle or in the meat section, in the trunk. I can put them on, over a pair of dry socks, and slip them inside my (non-water proof sneakers, or dress shoes) to keep my socks dry, and my feet warmer, when it is wet outside.

I also have a coffee can with TP, a couple of garbage bags, deodorizer and sanitizer, in the trunk. A few years ago, people got stranded on the New York Thruway for 27 hours in a snow storm. Bumper to bumper.

Overhauled the medical kits for our two vehicles and repacked each in a bright red bank deposit bag. Fits very nicely in the compartment at the bottom of the driver's door.
    ďExpertsĒ are wrong about half the time. [My_Lights]

25 pounds of green coffee beans!! Whatís the point of survival if you donít have good coffee?

Quote Originally Posted by ledbetter View Post
    25 pounds of green coffee beans!! Whatís the point of survival if you donít have good coffee?
    That's some proper prepping, like the pioneers. What are you using to roast?

Stovetop popcorn popper with stirring handle. About 15 min for a half pound of great coffee. And cheap! Best done outdoors if your range exhaust fan isnít the greatest because of smoke. sweetmarias.com is an easy source.

Not trying to darken the mood, but spent the last few weeks buying the items needed to make effective DIY hand-sanitizer at home, along with buying 1-3 homemade and sewn masks from various sellers on Etsy. Washable and thus reusable. (Some ended up being definitely better made than others.) Along with plenty of filters. Even reusable/washable ones.

With the planetary pandemic already here, maybe those don't count as preps. But the way a significant percentage of the population has been acting lately. Not caring about social distancing, even some walking around without masks.... I just see things continuing to get worse. So, I guess I'm prepping for the virus to linger on. Some experts have predicted that if we're lucky, things will get truly back to normal by September. If we're not, September; of 2021.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast