The Fenix-Store        
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011

Thread: What was your prep for today?

Flashaholic*

Ooo Re: What was your prep for today?

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy View Post
    I hope when you go out, it is with more than just you and Mark. I'd hate to be him and have to make the decision of possibly leaving you alone while going for help, or staying put with you and praying that help comes your way. The path you were on appeared to be well maintained, but wet and slippery. If you got hurt, it could be quite a problem.

Stay safe, and travel in threes.
    I can't even relate to that kind of fear.
    This is what I do, and my back is only an occasional issue. I prefer rough terrain, and in the last decade have had someone with me for <20 of >400 nights.
    There's no safety in numbers unless the people making up those numbers are competent, and competence is a rarity.
    Speaking of prep, though, I carry an inReach Mini, which I use to check in with my parents when outside cell service, and has an SOS function to call for rescue if I break a leg or something.
    You can even exchange messages with rescuers, so they know what kind of pizza to bring and stuff

Default Re: What was your prep for today?

Quote Originally Posted by Owen View Post
    I can't even relate to that kind of fear.
    This is what I do, and my back is only an occasional issue. I prefer rough terrain, and in the last decade have had someone with me for <20 of >400 nights.
    There's no safety in numbers unless the people making up those numbers are competent, and competence is a rarity.
    Speaking of prep, though, I carry an inReach Mini, which I use to check in with my parents when outside cell service, and has an SOS function to call for rescue if I break a leg or something.
    You can even exchange messages with rescuers, so they know what kind of pizza to bring and stuff
    Smart smart man. The inreach mini is nice. Rescue pizza is even nicer.
    Big butnotsomuch-burly

Quote Originally Posted by bigburly912 View Post
    Smart smart man. The inreach mini is nice. Rescue pizza is even nicer.
    Agreed
    My Grand Kids call me Poppy

Just killing time, I tried to think of stuff I needed to buy so that I am more prepped.

I really couldn't think of anything. So I read through this thread from the beginning.

There are a lot of suggestions in here, but I am not going to start a garden, and don't have room for, nor a desire for chickens, or a small farm.

I don't eat grains other than pasta, breads, and rice. If the SHTF we'd run out of breads, but I have flour, yeast and baking soda.

I wonder what I might be missing.

How are you set for water purification? Do you have a large water heater? When was the last time you drained the bottom few gallons out of it to try to flush some sediment out? Maybe a few dozen packages of taco seasoning, boullion cubes, and something like Montreal steak seasoning? All make squirrel and groundhog more palatable... 😁
    The TK20. Yes, it still rocks- WoodsWalker

Quote Originally Posted by scout24 View Post
    How are you set for water purification? Do you have a large water heater? When was the last time you drained the bottom few gallons out of it to try to flush some sediment out? Maybe a few dozen packages of taco seasoning, boullion cubes, and something like Montreal steak seasoning? All make squirrel and groundhog more palatable... 
    Thanks for those suggestions.
    Water Purification:
    I have two sawyer water filters, and a filter straw (maybe two).
    We have natural gas, so I guess we would need an Earthquake to disrupt that.
    Failing that we have two BBQ propane tanks, one in use, and a backup.
    I have a bottle of iodine tablets and the other pills that remove the iodine taste.
    We have gallons of bleach.

We are not on a well, and I have never drained the water tank.

Seasonings:
    I am pretty well stocked, and am definitely fond of the Grill Master Blends.
    I see that wanted to order a large 1 - 1.5 pound bottle of the SmokeHouse Maple, and never did.
    I'll have to put that on my list!

I just picked up a "Better Than Bouillon" roasted chicken base, but was disappointed that it should be refrigerated after opening. I have both chicken and beef bouillon.
    Other than a couple packages of taco kits, that includes the sauce packets, I don't have taco seasoning, but plenty of salt and pepper, and crushed red pepper flakes.

And a large variety of smaller bottles of lesser used spices.

I do have a couple of virgin rat traps. yuk.

I have garbage bags, and two gallons of bug spray.
    Trying to think back to the suggestions of the gent who bugged in during Katrina.

Ah yes... Sub_Umbra
    I googled water epiphany
    https://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...Water-Epiphany

I think I'll read through his thread again.
    Very insightful.
    Last edited by Poppy; 12-02-2020 at 09:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy View Post

The beauty of the Fords at that time, is that they all had a Schrader valve (like a tire valve) on their fuel rail to use for diagnostic fuel pressure testing. I learned how to jump the fuel pump relay, put a tube on the Schrader valve, and use the in-tank fuel pump to fill my 2 gallon tanks for the generator.

I discovered that the system is different on this newer car. First of all the fuel pump is controlled by the PCM, and some sensors, Just jumpering the relay won't work. BUT Even more important, even if I could get the pump to work (which I can by jumping pins in the fuel pump driver module) There is NO Schrader valve!

[For those who may not know....]

WARNING!! The fuel system on a fuel injected car operates at pressures around 60 psi, and most will retain at least some of that pressure even when shut off.

Wear safety glasses (or better yet, goggles) and make sure there are no ignition sources in the area before attempting to open a fuel line. (no drop lights anywhere nearby!)

------------------

We used to do the relay jumper trick all the time to empty out a gas tank back when I worked at a dealership. There's a cheap tool for disconnecting fuel line connections that's easy to use. That was over 20 years ago, though, so on more recent vehicles I'm not sure how to make the pump run if jumping the relay doesn't work. Possibly a scanner/diagnostic tool has a way to turn on the pump.

If the pump was burned out, we had what we called a "gas hog", which was a roll-around fuel tank with a hand pump built into it on top. We'd stick the hose down in the gas tank and pump away manually. It sucked. In both senses of the word!!

In your case though, something like that would be fine since you probably won't be in that big a hurry. It'd be bad though if a 1/4" line was all you could get down the filler neck...

Stress_test
    Thanks for the warning.
    I'll make sure the engine is not hot, and I'll have a rag, and small container handy, should I ever disconnect it.

The driver module is located in the trunk behind the passenger side back seat. It is accessible from within the trunk. Unless I ran a long set of jumper wires, it would be a two man job to collect the fuel, jumper the pins in the module, and know when to unjumper the pins.

I do have the collection of fuel line disconnect tools.

Flashaholic*

I didn't do prep today, I benefited from it.
    ~20yrs ago, give or take a couple, my employer gifted everyone with Cobra "Jumpstarter/Powerpacks", that also have a built-in AC outlet, and a compressor with pressure gauge for airing up tires.

Mine has saved the day many times, for many people, and lives in whatever vehicle I'm driving.
    Today, I had to drive over an hour to buy a new battery, as mine suddenly came up dead at an out of the way trailhead in a state park that is closed 'til Thursday.
    Not only did it start my car twice, and keep me from being stranded, but when I stopped for gas after getting a new battery, it had enough juice left to air up a lady's very low tire.
    Great thing to have, and I can't believe it's still working after somewhere in the neighborhood of 2 decades.

It's (edit: an older version of, perhaps) this:
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Cobra-Por...ished/46951621
    I just looked at reviews of the "same" one on Amazon, and people were talking about USB ports 7yrs ago, so it's obviously evolved over time. Great thing to have!
    Last edited by Owen; 12-08-2020 at 09:26 PM.

That's incredible! 20 years?

Do you know what kind of battery is in there? SLAs in my experience are not good past 8 years, and for the most part five years if you are lucky. So I imagine that it must be some kind of lithium, but I didn't know that they were available that long ago.

Flashaholic*

Never gave it a thought before.
    Here's what it says inside:

SEALAKE
    Rechargeable Sealed Lead Acid Battery
    FM1270 12V7Ah/20HR
    CE M10309710
    NINGBO SEALAKE STORAGE BATTERY CO., LTD.
    WWW.SEALAKE.COM

A coworker commented on Facebook that it had been a good jump box, but his had died years ago. Guess I got lucky!
    Last edited by Owen; 12-09-2020 at 03:41 PM.

Flashaholic*

Having read up a bit on SLAs, and their typical 5-8yr, and rare 12yr, rated lifespans, I'm looking at a modern replacement.
    TACKLIFE's T8 lithium starter and 12V air compressor look pretty good<<<after some research, I'm looking at the "Audew" brand, which performs better in tests than the many others I've looked at.
    Sad how it's always hard to trust newer, demonstrably superior technologies due to gimmicky features and a general lack of construction quality automatically destroying any confidence I might otherwise have in a product, right from the start.
    Last edited by Owen; 12-10-2020 at 07:02 PM.

When you make a decision, please share your thoughts.
    I bought one recently, and at first it worked great, a month later, not well, but that may have been MY problem, in that I had a crappy connection to the battery.

The company had since sent me a new one. I Haven't been able to test it out because in the mean time I charged my dead battery, AND discovered the loose battery cable.

One of these days, I'll disconnect the battery and try to start it from just the jump starter, but the weather is too cold now for playing around unnecessarily.

Flashaholic*

I will, but the proof's in the pudding.
    I don't put much stock in initial impressions, or first uses.
    It took me almost 5yrs to put up a review of my favorite backpacking quilt, and over 6 for a tent

Charged a few batteries today, pre positioned my generator. Ran my snow blower. Double checked my fuel storage. 1-2 feet of snow coming tonight, with some winds. I'm hoping it all goes smoothly.

Prepping paid off!

We got about a foot of snow last night into this morning. Yesterday I brought three shovels from the shed to the back door.
    I had worked on my snow-blower last month, and today, it started on the first pull! Yea!!!

scout24,
    I hope everything went well for you. 24 inches is no laughing matter.

Poppy- We wound up with 14", could have been worse. I spent all day outside between my house and my brother-in-law's place. Binghamton NY got 40"... Glad I don't live there!

I like living at a location with no hurricane evacuation signs, at least a dozen feet above flood stage and predicted snowfalls of inches instead of feet. But five degrees colder and we too would be buried under snow from that one. West of me by about 30 minutes got a half a foot of snow while we got rain, rain and more rain.

We prepped by filling gaps in the freezer with square bottles filled with water and a battery run at a hardware store in case power was out long enough to deplete rechargeables. I probably should put the fuel from gas tanks into my truck and refill with fresh. It's only about a year old and has 5x the reccomended dose of marine grade fuel stabilizer but still……it's a year old.
    John 3:16

You have a freezer with space in it?
    Mrs Yeti, apart from being a Chef, I swear is related to squirrels, show her a freezer and it's full in a day. Stock, fruit, more stock and more stock. We've just had to throw away some stock to make room for the Xmas duck.
    I see more freezers in out future.

Actually, if you have some space, could I put some chocolate ice cream in there please?

P
    "O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!" He chortled in his joy.

Flashaholic*

Doing my #1 most common form of prep for an overnighter next Tuesday-tracking weather for several potential destinations. As if weekdays in winter weren't enough to ensure solitude, I look for the lowest temps and "worst" conditions(rain/snow mix, etc).
    The best destinations also tend to be popular, and I prefer having them to myself, so it's become a year-round habit at places that are easily accessible. Especially this year. They're still very much deterred by bad weather, but people being away from work due to COVID brought on an increase in traffic at trailheads close to waterfalls and such. That's resulted in me checking out more remote, sometimes less desirable(but surprisingly awesome, in some cases!), wilderness areas in good weather, and waiting 'til it's going to rain the whole time to visit some of my favorites. Actually worked out pretty well this spring and summer, as my "weekend" coincided with rainy weather fairly consistently for a while. Yeah...hurray

Quote Originally Posted by peter yetman View Post
    You have a freezer with space in it?
    Mrs Yeti, apart from being a Chef, I swear is related to squirrels, show her a freezer and it's full in a day. Stock, fruit, more stock and more stock. We've just had to throw away some stock to make room for the Xmas duck.
    I see more freezers in out future.

Actually, if you have some space, could I put some chocolate ice cream in there please?

P
    Sorry peter, I don't have room for chocolate ice cream, but there IS a little room for cherry vanilla, butter pecan, or pistachio

I bought a 5 cu ft freezer at the end of August. At that time they were virtually unobtainable. I wanted a 7 cu ft unit, couldn't find one within 100 miles.

After you posted yesterday I checked and found there is a limited selection back in stock. They are reasonably priced, and don't cost too much to run all year. It only took us a couple of months to pretty much fill her up. I'm not big on making too much to eat, and freezing left-overs. If I was, the 5 cu ft unit might be too small, for us. On the other hand, when we moved late in July, we went from two refrigerator/freezers to one, and I threw out some items that were over a year old, to make room. So there's that old adage: "Nature abhors a vacuum."

Here's George Carlin's take on it.

https://youtu.be/MvgN5gCuLac

Each morning I carry 12 pounds of liquids in my lunch cooler and some days I still run out. I decided to keep a 2.5 gallon jug of water in my truck each week and now carry about 6 pounds in my lunch cooler. But what to do with those empty jugs?
    When I was rasing 5 kids we needed a big ole freezer. Kids are grown now. Mucho spare room in the freezer now. I've been freezing quarts and half gallons for years as ice blocks for drinking water when melted. And it helps keep the freezer cold. When power goes out it also helps keep it cold. But quarts and half gallons thaw quicker than a big old 2.5 gallon ice block. So the first jug was filled with tap water and one big rectangle replaced several rounds ice blocks. The next one will go in the freezer and the one frozen now will go in the back of the fridge.

What to do with future jugs? I'm not sure yet but I'll figure out something.
    John 3:16

Flashaholic*

Prep for night 1 of 2021
    Possibly night 2, too but I've got a feeling I'll be working my second off night.

I'm even taking my stove and a firestarter! Maybe...

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Owen View Post
    Doing my #1 most common form of prep for an overnighter next Tuesday-tracking weather for several potential destinations. As if weekdays in winter weren't enough to ensure solitude, I look for the lowest temps and "worst" conditions(rain/snow mix, etc).
    Or 22 river crossings
    Or 36, if I have time to leave my loop, and go a few miles downstream and back to visit a waterfall.
    They're rarely over knee deep...
    Not totally set on that hike, but 3 of my 5 potential destinations for the next month or so have multiple water crossings, and a 4th has 2-3, so it's 80% that one pair of sandals or the other are going, and there's a 60% chance the wetsocks are, too.
    I can do without soaking wet shoes when it's going into the low 20s.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011