Klarus        
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910

Thread: What was your prep for today?

Default Re: What was your prep for today?

scout,
    Thanks for the information regarding a check valve.
    1/4 OD tube for a siphon is also useful information.

I looked at a couple of pictures I had taken of my engine when I pulled the intake manifold, and didn't see a port, so...
    I did a google search "where is the fuel pressure port on a 2008 Grand Marquis" and this popped up.

I guess there are slight variations in the Ford vs Mercury engines. I wouldn't think so, but here it is.

Fuel pressure port on a 2008 Grand Marquis Lincoln mercury…

where is the fuel pressure port on a 2008 Grand Marquis Lincoln mercury

Share this conversation

Answered in 12 minutes by:
    6/19/2011

Mercury Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose)
    Hello, I'm Chris.
    I will do my best to answer your question fast and accurate using the info you have provided. Thanks for visiting Just Answer.

This model does not have a shrader valve to allow for testing the fuel pressure. It is done electronically with a scan tool bringing up the fuel pressure sensor whcih is on the injector rail to check the pressure. If you want to do it manually, you must disconnect the supply line to the injector rail and install a T section to allow fuel to continue flowing to the injectors but also to a test gauge.

My Grand Kids call me Poppy

Ah... I just had an "AHA!!!" moment.

I ran out to the car and took a picture of THIS!

It is where my fuel line connects to the easy to get at passenger side fuel rail!

So now if I can find the connector to the fuel pump driver module, I have a way to get the gas out of my tank.
    I think it is behind the back seat in the trunk.

(Disclaimer: It's been a few years... ) That's where we would "T" in with a fitting with schrader valve to put a gauge on the later model years, yes. I stopped working on them in 2015, my apologies for the goose chase...
    The TK20. Yes, it still rocks- WoodsWalker

Quote Originally Posted by scout24 View Post
    (Disclaimer: It's been a few years... ) That's where we would "T" in with a fitting with schrader valve to put a gauge on the later model years, yes. I stopped working on them in 2015, my apologies for the goose chase...
    Oh NO Goose chase at all!!! Certainly there is no need for apologies!

If you hadn't made me re-check, I may never have come up with the thought of disconnecting the fuel line up top, instead of under the car at the fuel filter. In the rain or snow, it is much easier to work from the top than it would be under the car in the cold rain or snow, on my back! Been there and done that, And pray I never have to again!

Do you happen to know where the Fuel Pump Driver Module is located and how to access it? From the schematics it looks like it is behind the back seat in the trunk.

Conducted the semi-annual recharge-a-palooza today. ~60 / 90 low-self-discharge NiMH AA cells cycled successfully and a dozen-ish li-ion cells cycled. One li-ion cell was defective (<2V open circuit voltage upon insertion - yikes), another NiMH cell required forced resuscitation via a parallel adapter ... thus it goes.

I feel like I need a good ≥8-bay multi-chemistry charger rather than cycling through 3 - sometimes as many as 6 - different chargers. But then again it's the li-ions that I otherwise cycle monthly while the LSD NiMH are cycled far less often.
    I apologize that this letter is so long; I did not have time to write a short letter

Idleprocess- I actually brought a pair of 18650's that live in my car bag inside over the weekend to discharge/recharge them. My last pair of AW black 2900ma protected cells. They seemingly do fine being neglected.

Poppy- Instead of jumping anything out, perhaps just turn the ignition on with the line disconnected from the rail. The command to build pressure will be sent to the pump and fuel will flow with the pump trying to reach spec pressure thinking you're trying to start the car. No cranking, just key on...
    Last edited by scout24; 11-03-2020 at 06:32 AM.
    The TK20. Yes, it still rocks- WoodsWalker

Thanks scout,
    That was my thought as well.
    This however this is the response I got at the crownvic.net site.

Quote Originally Posted by fordoldfart
    The fuel pumps are controlled by the pcm via an FPDM basically a pulse width device vary the on off time of the pump through this module. Unless they see the engine rpms come as in cranking or running then it still only runs for just a couple of secs.
    I suspect that this gent is right.
    Even with the older cars, the PCM only triggers/grounds the coil side of the fuel pump relay, for a couple of seconds, unless it sees a PIP signal. That's why I had to manually ground the coil side of the relay, or jumper it.

Thursday through Monday of this week we should be in very comfortable mid to high 60's. Perhaps I'll get under the hood and test it out.
    Last edited by Poppy; 11-03-2020 at 12:32 PM.

And the best laid plans of mice and men!

For the past three weeks, after charging the battery with the charger, the mower started a number of times.
    Today, I did a lot of start... run a little bit, stop and then start again. The baskets were filling with leaves pretty quickly, and I didn't want to get off of the unit while it was still running.

The battery died suddenly.

So I got out my little jump starter... it was at 97%.
    It FAILED.
    There are electronics in it that continued to tell me to connect the jumper cables. Although they were connected, it wasn't sending any juice to the battery.

I'll have to call for warranty tomorrow. I hope I didn't toss the receipt. I see that I didn't take a picture of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy View Post
    Whoa is me

Leaves are starting to fall, and I went to my ride on lawn mower to scoop them up. Oh no... dead battery! No pull cord. I can't find my battery charger. My generator has a 12V output, but for some reason I thought that it didn't come with the necessary cable. There were warnings in the manual that it is an unregulated 12 volts and that you shouldn't use it to charge a battery. So I pulled the battery, carried it to my car, and with jumper cables let my alternator charge it for 20-30 minutes.

I was able to start the mower and pick up three garbage cans of leaves. Good job Poppy!

When I tested the battery for voltage, it was FLAT DEAD, Zero volts! It came up to 12V after charging, but I didn't know if that was surface charge, and/or if it would hold a charge. SLAs don't do well if you fully discharge them. The next day I went out and checked the battery, it was at only 10 volts. Ah... not good. So I jump on the net for a new battery, that is well rated, at the best price, available locally. It seems that they are about $40 and negative ratings seem to say that they only last two winters, even with occasional topping off of the charge, if kept in an unheated garage or outside. My mower lives outdoors, and I looked all over for my charger. Winter is coming, so I don't really want to buy a new battery now (now that I'll only start the mower maybe three more times this season) I'd rather wait until after winter and get an extra year out of the battery.

Then it dawned on me to get one of those LiIon jump starter battery packs!

The 10 volt dead battery almost cranked the engine, but with this jump starter attached, it cranked nice and fast as it should.

Now if the battery in my generator goes dead, I can use this to start that too.

This should be good for I guess 5-10 years, @ $60 a good preppy investment.
    It was a spur of the moment purchase, and I see that similar units are available for about $40, of course the quality of the battery may vary considerably.

Oh... yesterday I met my son and his girlfriend at a winery. It was a very pleasant afternoon. I told him about my ordeal, and not being able to find the charger despite looking high and low. She described it to me. It is in their closet. He forgot he had it, I had loaned it to him for his trolling motor battery. I think he sold the motor, so I should get the charger back later today.

coffee
    Sometimes I wonder if I've purchased my last flashlight.

Winter is coming.

I am getting ready to hunker down; preparing for more Covid isolation.

I have two gas cans that are not labeled regarding their capacity. I filled them up and now know, one is a 1 gallon, and the other a 2 gallon. I also have a new 2 1/2 gallon one that I had filled. I added 1 ml / gallon of marine Stabil to each. And I put a label on my bottle of Stabil ... 1 ml/gallon. The instructions are 1 oz per 10 gallons, so I had to do some math. Interestingly, they have a graduated cylinder on the container in both ml and oz. but only instructions for oz. I didn't recall the conversion, so I had to look it up. Without the internet during an outage, if the cell towers were also down, that would have left me head scratching.

I have two new, 5 gallon cans that I'll keep empty, unless it looks like they'll be needed.
    I recall when Sandy hit, spare gas cans were unobtainable.

I topped off my car's fuel tank.

Made a list of all the items needed to fill holes in my preps.
    Will take care of the biggest ones by Christmas this year.
    The rest can wait a bit.... I'm a very patient man.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

Flashaholic*

I bought 10 more pounds of dried beans to seal up in Mylar bags. Need to buy a small multi-fuel cook stove as well.
    Big butnotsomuch-burly

I'm shipping a new carburetor to my brother, for his generator. I don't think he used it since Sandy 2012. It wouldn't start, and was leaking fuel. Easier to replace than rebuild.

Fortunately, he didn't have an outage, but was just prepping it for: "Just in case."

IMO, he was lucky.

Personally, I've had enough instances of having to fix something in the worst of conditions, usually a combination of Cold, wet, rainy, windy, and/or snow; that I have learned to do a periodic check of equipment during mild weather. (Usually)

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910