What was your prep for today?

scout24

Flashaholic
Hi all! If you're reading this, the title intrigued you. That's the idea. I wanted to start a thread where members could come for ideas, to document, to keep the idea on your radar if it's not already. Not just disaster/zombie/bugout prep, but camping/self sufficiency, etc. Got out in the garden and got dirty? Post it. Aired out your tent and inventoried gear? Post it. Ran your generator for it's quarterly exercise? Put it here. Added to your pantry? Got to the range? It belongs here. NO POLITICS please. I'm starting not quite from ground zero after spending the last 13 months rebuilding after a good 20 years of accumulating gear, knowledge, and supplies so your posts will act as motivation. Let's hear what you did today!

Last edited:

scout24

Flashaholic
I'll start. The last couple weeks, I've been jogging two miles after walking my dogs in the morning, weather permitting. It's been a while, and I need to lose a few pounds, build some endurance, and start getting back in shape. So that was todays prep.

Last edited:

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Oat smoothie breakfast - 25 g oats blended into oat flour, 133 ml water, 16 g whey protein, 16 g casein protein, 12 ml omega oils, blended into the consistency of a melted milkshake. Nearly 1:1:1 macros with fiber and no sugar. Enjoyed with coffee made through a paper filter to not raise bad cholesterol, followed by a tall glass of Animal Pak vitamin powder which covers micros/antioxidants/probiotics. Pretty much feels like I can lift a car after that, and I'm down 20 lbs since New Year's.

bignc

Enlightened
Scout..... I just.... I KNEW you were my internet flashlight hero. And this is proof. Well, at least top 10- with much respect to Arch and the others for sure. Uncle reppans and WoodsWalker and many, many others. But yes. YAAAAAASSSSSSS.

I am a life long Floridian and always had "hurricane" threats in the back of my mind. I am only 40 so don't remember the 70's gas and inflation issues and shortages. I didn't live through a WW or a Missile crisis. But the "cold war" threat had me thinking about the "worst case" at a pretty early age.

Really, as a younger married adult with a child, I started out a firearms geek. During the y2k scare and the (later)first real "panic" over ammo and gun control, etc., I realized we COULD have limited access to more than just ammo and firearms. That's when I learned about "just-in- time" inventory and the limited foods in peoples pantries and the stores.

SO- yesterday, I planted some more food (just some herbs, tomatoes and bell peppers,) reorganized some camping gear for an upcoming couple of car and then backpacking trips, fertilized the orchard (manure) AND worked out.

This morning, I took the garbage (trash discipline ranks up there for me with keeping gas tanks at half full- if you've ever gone a while without trash service, you know) and cleaned out the chicken coop. While I was doing that, I topped off and rotated my 18650s in my EDC bag. Basically just maintenance stuff.

Good thread- I hope to get some reminders and tips and maybe give some too!

ven

Flashaholic
Well today was an early start, 5am so up around 4 ish to get in. Extra jobs getting done with a shut down, robots, conveyors, all kinds of stuff. So naturally i get quite tired come afternoon haha. Making a start on doing bits of the garden, been maybe 3 months due to winter, so the grass is in tufts and i just cant stand it any more. This week has forecast 18oC temps, been cold (4oC) ish at night, but not freezing with the clear skies. So hopefully catch up on other days. Between this, dog walks, usually a later one and a torch of some type(mostly either a BOSS or MD2 of late) gets some use . Also Callum has his MMA classes, so this gets fitted in Mon/Wed/Thu and Sat for sparring class. My chill daily when i get a minute, is some netflix series of sort, also PS4 . Recently completed resident evil 2 and devil may cry 5,. Soon Sekiro should be here for some samurai kick a55 lol Thats my chill/unwind to help keep me sane.

Planning for some future camping trips also, be it roof box or trailer for out gear. Will update with pics once i decide. The ven family camping bus set up!.

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great thread!!

Today, I just organized some lights and checked batteries. I recently moved so I want to put some lights around the house. Now that I have gotten used to the layout, I know where the spots that make the most sense are.

A downside of me moving was going away from a nice big hilly park where walks and runs were more challenging. I will have to figure out how to make up for that.

Mr. LED

Enlightened
My prep today was buying another Zebralight SC32 for my GHB. I work just a mile from home in a super small village, and usually walk to work.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Scout..... I just.... I KNEW you were my internet flashlight hero. And this is proof. Well, at least top 10- with much respect to Arch and the others for sure. Uncle reppans and WoodsWalker and many, many others. But yes. YAAAAAASSSSSSS....

Honored to be included in this list, and will have something to post here at some point, I'd imagine :)

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
My prep for today was searching for the right place/price to start prepping. I'm wanting to start easy and get some Mylar bags and buckets and maybe just keep rice and beans. For now. Easy to store, easy to prepare, easy to move if need be.

scout24

Flashaholic
Bignc- You're far too kind- Arch and Woodswalker have forgotten more than I know about this...

Today, 2 mile jog again and picked up an 8 pack of Energizer lithium AA's at Home Depot.

Bigburly- Mylar and oxygen absorbers are a great way to add to the long term pantry. Thick bags, ziplock as well as iron the top, and oversized O2 absorbers took some of the worry out for me. Don't forget Quaker instant oats, in the big cardboard can. They "mylar" quite well. And don't forget to label the bags! There's tons of good youtube videos on the subject.

bignc

Enlightened
I embellish a little bit it's nice to not be alone in my paranoia. There are a ton of smart folks here I listen to for sure. :). Today, I lifted weights and meal prepped some. Not much else yet.

bignc

Enlightened
My prep for today was searching for the right place/price to start prepping. I'm wanting to start easy and get some Mylar bags and buckets and maybe just keep rice and beans. For now. Easy to store, easy to prepare, easy to move if need be.

Depending on many factors (spouse/s.o., finances, space, etc) I always say to start buying ONE more (unit, item, $ amount- whatever works) of whatever canned or dried things you currently eat. Can you get by TODAY for a week? 2 weeks? A month? Set a goal for that personal apocalypse before spending money on the zombies. And have multiple ways to get water!!! This is important for short and long term planning imho.

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great theme! Exchange of experience is invaluable :)

Today I sharpened a knife and wondered what would happen if I lose all my grinding stones? Tools should always be able to sharpen, I have nothing suitable in the area, all the soils are clay and black soil, even there is no silicon deposit to make a stone chopper. And then I remembered the old way that my great-grandfather used. It is necessary to take clay, red or river, it should be cleaned, crushed several times and crushed. Need to find sand, fine sand, sift sand. Next we need to mix clean clay with clean sand. Put this mixture in the form of a circle, stick a suitable stick in the center and leave to dry. Then you can rotate this circle on a stick and sharpen the tools like an emery wheel.

scout24

Flashaholic
Desert.snake- Both good ideas! I've been trying to use the bottom of a ceramic coffee cup, and also the top edge of one of my truck windows as knife sharpeners. I've got a long way to go, but both work in a pinch. Just can't use Mrs. Scout's coffee mugs... :)

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
i don't know if i'm missing the point of this but here's my prep: Thinking of myself...i've been too worried about my family, clients, work that my doc forced me into an early vacation. i meditated this morning like Deepak Chopra taught us in the 80's when we worked together at Muhlenberg Hospital, Plainfield, NJ where he interned (my mother was his nurse in the e.r., and she has all his books personally signed by him). When i was a police officer, i would mentally prepare myself before i went to work. then, soak in everything the sgt would tell us before we hit the road. Then, get into character before i drove out the parking lot to do my duties. it became second nature. since i retired, i don't do that any more, but i live in the outskirts of a bad neighborhood, distracted drivers still try their best to ruin my day. i'm more vulnerable now, and my current mental health is proof. i'm too stressed out. My patrol car was shot up 3 times and i remained calm, cool, and collected every time because i was always ready. one of those times, i was calling out the pursuit, and my sgt yelled at me on to get off the radio because i was so calm, he thought i was horsing around and couldn't possibly have been in a shootout and car chase.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
get into character before i drove out
distracted drivers still try their best to ruin my day
my current mental health is proof. i'm too stressed out.

Funny to think that people reading this a couple decades from now when transporting yourself by autonomous car won't involve driving will have no idea what you're talking about; if you read the book Blue Zones, about areas of the world where people live longest, they talk to a 100+ year old shepard [still at it] in Sardinia, who relates the story of once seeing a traffic signal when he was a teenager. Not really any secret to a long life there..

Add fish/omega oils to your morning routine, that can help take the edge off of stress.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
I like it. Having gear and skills is useless if you're dead from a stroke or heart attack because you were in bad physical or mental shape.

^This is key. It's a bit shocking seeing how many of these prepper folk are fully prepared for Soviet zombie ground attack but not for a blood test. If you won't last that long in civilization, you'll just go faster without it..

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
^This is key. It's a bit shocking seeing how many of these prepper folk are fully prepared for Soviet zombie ground attack but not for a blood test. If you won't last that long in civilization, you'll just go faster without it..

At least we'll know where to find a good cache