Fenix Outfitters        
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What was your prep for today?

Default Re: What was your prep for today?

Quote Originally Posted by thermal guy View Post
    After Easter festivities we’re over settled downstairs and moved my shtf food backup supplies. Finished up a runtime test on a light I just got and started researching what’s needed to make a survival doll. Then contemplated what some might think if I did put one together. Think I will anyways
    I'll bite.
    What's a "Survival Doll"?
    P
    Peter's shopping list:- HDS / Oveready 170N Exec/LE and an Oveready V4 Nichia Drop In. Otherwise I'm content. Want want want, that's me.

Ah, thank you. Nothing sinister, then.
    P
    Peter's shopping list:- HDS / Oveready 170N Exec/LE and an Oveready V4 Nichia Drop In. Otherwise I'm content. Want want want, that's me.

Lol I’m sorry yes that’s what I was talking about 😁
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

Picked up our order of fruit trees and bushes from our local County Extension today. They'll go in the ground tomorrow or Sunday. Another pair of apple, and another pair of peach. 20 Chokecherry bush seedlings, too. I also took out my small solar panel to charge up some batteries if it's sunny tomorrow. I've been setting 18350's and 16340's aside for a couple weeks rather than putting them on my house charger.
    Wildflower seeds on the sand and stone
    May the four winds blow you safely home...

I filled my truck with fuel in case the weekly spring storm-a-gedan knocked out power so the fish could have o2 if the Honda generator failed.
    John 3:16

Been a busy week. My 13 year old daughter was inducted into the national honor society this week. Proud papa here. I know it's not a prep but I'm hoping to prepare her with a great education and make good decisions.

Mind prep is best prep.

Skills, training, judgment, and strength of mind is generally far more important than having the "right" collection of "stuff" to deal with adverse situations.
    Last edited by archimedes; 04-27-2019 at 12:30 AM.
    ... is the archimedes peak

In that case I'm in deep deep trouble.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by bykfixer View Post
    In that case I'm in deep deep trouble.
    I sense that you'll do better than most.

I have been studying for an exam next week- retirement and finance related. Maybe I can help a few more folks be financially prepared before the shtf.

Quote Originally Posted by archimedes View Post
    Mind prep is best prep.

Skills, training, judgment, and strength of mind is generally far more important than having the "right" collection of "stuff" to deal with adverse situations.
    The best survival device is the mind.
    My preps were adding increased desalinization capacity to my relatively small boat and I added more beautiful and edible Purslane plant space on my little rental dock.
    Now, for a bit of levity. Life should be fun and happy too. Or why prep?

Added lighting equipment to a very important piece of equipment.

nvm....
    Last edited by reppans; 04-29-2019 at 06:54 PM.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by reppans View Post
    nvm....
    Dangit, I hope I didn’t miss anything cool!

Went out to my Wife's greenhouse today to water, we now have zucchini, cucumbers, crookneck squash, basil and marigolds beginning to pop up through the dirt. It's small, 6x9', but we get a lot of veggies out of it. Tomatoes and peppers still doing well inside the house but they're not ready to go out yet. We have frost risk until about the 19th of May here. Peas and carrots doing well under cold frames in their raised beds and asparagus is coming back from last year.

Flashaholic

Yesterday did some tree trimming (dead limbs in the old pecans) and weeded and fertilized (with out chicken poop supplemented compost) the herbs and tomatoes as well as the fruit trees. Today grabbed some “bogo “ items from Publix and spent some time with the wife on the round trip. My favorite “prep” is making sure my partner for life and I are on the same page.

Quote Originally Posted by bignc View Post
    My favorite “prep” is making sure my partner for life and I are on the same page.
    That, is all that matters.
    P

The importance of that can't be over stressed. Mrs. Scout took a while to come around, though she's always been a garden lover and does a lot of sewing. It's been a journey, but she no longer rolls her eyes at some of my purchases.

Flashaholic

Mrs. Lilnc honestly was into guns before me. “Prepping” for her started after hurricane Andrew but wasn’t perhaps as obsessive or well rounded as it is for us as a couple with children. Some decent flashlights made sense to her. 25+ with hundreds of cells and dozens of charging, battery and solar options? That took a little patience on her part.

Today, rotated some of my gas cans.

Flashaholic

Today inventoried and consolidated ammo. Including replacing or adding desiccant as needed. My handgun jhp needs replenishment but otherwise ok. We have a small house so balancing preps with space is a big challenge.
    Last edited by bignc; 07-07-2019 at 07:20 PM.

There's always that balance, space vs. how much of what do I think I need. I had it brought home to me with astounding clarity last February that the old adage is true: You only own what you can carry at a dead run. The rest is bug in versus bug out, what can I fit in my Tundra with the cap on it, etc.

My daughter was in the Tampa area when the hurricane came through two years ago, it was forecast to be a Cat.4 at landfall up until a day before it hit. Damage wound up being minimal thank God, but I was amazed what we loaded in the truck ready to go down and get her if damage was bad. Food, water, enough fuel to make it from Georgia to her and back to Georgia, chainsaws, recovery gear, cooking and sanitation, tools, sleeping gear, and the means to keep all of it if someone else wanted it more than we did. It was an outstanding dry run for us to bug out. It was interesting to triage what was going vs. what was staying home.

Flashaholic

Been there many times sir. I am often reconsidering a travel setup vs an “I’m never coming home “ setup. I’ve evacuated my family and stayed behind for work, evacuated all of us, and all just stayed. All different things for sure. It’s real life, absolutely but every time I get new ideas and find new problems.
    Part of the reason I made “lists” was to insure things and feel SOME better if I had to pick what stays/ goes!

I scanned through a manual one last time and re-tab'd it more logically before taking a test on said manual.

The extra prep paid off as it was a timed test with lots of questions whose answers were hidden or required a logical thought process to decide the answer.

I passed with an hour spare time after reviewing my answers. Example would be I thought the answer was C for question #57 and while scanning for the answer to question #122 saw #57 was actually D (all of the above).

I had jotted down on a scratch pad the correct answer to ensure I changed it during the review. Not my first timed test so I have learned a few time saving tips and preps along the way.

We have some leaf curl on our peach trees that we planted two years ago, so I sprayed them down with a copper fungicide today. I need to get more, and spray regularly apparently. If not, it can kill the trees. We planted four more apple and peach trees from our county conservation sale, as well as a half dozen butternut trees. They take a while to mature, but worth planting. Also built one more raised bed for the garden today. It'll be outside the fence with onions in it. Busy busy spring here. A good busy.

Finally got the last of the veggies planted today. Eggplant is now in. Tomatos, peppers, peas, carrots, sweet potatos, russet potatos, garlic from last fall, cukes, spaghetti squash, zucchini, asparagus, here's hoping it dries out a bit here! Having rain barrels full is nice, but wow have we had a lot of rain.

Was finally able to get 10 more garden beds out. These will mostly be green beans, carrots, tomatoes, beets and a variety of other vegetables. We have 10 more on the other side of the yard and we usually can enough food for the next year.
    I'll post pics and update regularly.
    We grow our sweet potatoes in wooden barrels and usually end up with over a hundred pounds.

Flashaholic

Revived!!!!! I've been slacking. Had two power outages in the last month and that caused some reorganization. Thankfully, neither went past three hours but were annoying.

Rubicon, I'd love to see more. How big are the beds? How do you space your plants in them? I am trying to go smaller - a gardening by the foot type deal instead of rows like most around here do.

Got a pile of preps. (stuff) sitting literally behind me on the floor. Large pile just waiting to be stored away. If I bought nothing else for a decade, I'd have basically all my BOB, camping, and hiking needs covered.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Monocrom View Post
    Got a pile of preps. (stuff) sitting literally behind me on the floor. Large pile just waiting to be stored away. If I bought nothing else for a decade, I'd have basically all my BOB, camping, and hiking needs covered.
    I am pretty close- except ammo, food and med are ALWAYS on my mind to beef up. Picked up some gauze and 91% alcohol today on the way home then celebrated a family birthday.

ETA: NEEDS covered- not WANTS or even all the "nice to haves."

Finally able to post some pics again. Here's our garden... a bunch of raised beds, some bags, and a couple pots. 6' fenced to keep the deer out. Garlic, cilantro, potatos, tomatos, peas, carrots, lettuce, spinach, peppers, cukes, a couple kinds of squash, pumpkins, asparagus, eggplant, and rhubarb is new this year. Oh, and onions. Some baby sunflowers and blueberry bushes outside but fenced, too. It's about 25x50. Slowly but surely...
    20190715_203040-1024x768-1024x768.jpg
    20190715_203232-1024x768.jpg

Edit to add some of the fruit trees we planted three years ago- a variety of apples, cherry, peach, plum, hazlenut, raspberries and a couple grape vines. Bad pic, but you get the idea.
    20190715_203317-1024x768.jpg
    Last edited by scout24; 07-15-2019 at 07:18 PM.

Flashaholic

Awesome! I might can get the wife on board with raised beds like those - throw a bench and some flowers around for an English garden look. She didn't mind my old row garden but this is more tolerable I am sure. Good stuff!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast