Prometheus        
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: What was your prep for today?

Default Re: What was your prep for today?

Technically not today.... But for Christmas I ordered a bunch of titanium cook pots, and titanium cups to pretty much custom design the ultimate one-person titanium cook kit when I'm done playing around with everything in a variety of different combinations. What am I going to do with all the left-over ones? Give a couple away, keep the rest as extra cook kits. Maybe give a couple more to friends. We'll see. But I'll be sure to show off the legoed winner at a future time in this thread, if my phone cooperates.

And yes, I already have a perfectly customized two-person titanium cook kit I put together.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

Flashaholic

Sounds awesome. And pricey lol. Can't wait to see!

Quote Originally Posted by bignc View Post
    Sounds awesome. And pricey lol. Can't wait to see!

Yes, very pricey.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

We prep'd for Christmas rubish my downsizing everything this year. The kids had a blast crushing cans. I showed them how you can stand on one, poke it on the sides and have it instantly fold into a compact format. Wrapping paper was folded instead of balled up, leftover food left in styrofoam doggy containers and plastic bottles were run over by my truck (while the kids crushed cans).
    In the spare room was a portable generator in case the power went out and things that needed to be chilled or remain cold were stored outdoors in the cold to save on ice use or electricity used when the refrigerator door keeps opening. My tree hugger family members were impressed and learned a few tricks. Boxes were all collapsed and some went home with others to use for storing kids toys when they get bored with them. While the neighbors cans on the street were over flowing ours was only half full.

Typically at most homes folks use plastic cups that are all the same color. "Hey, Johnnie is drinking my drink" little Jane wails to mommy. We had accumulated several colors over the last few years so nobody had the same color cup as anybody else as the stack was already sorted in individual colors. If two kids wanted purple Uncle Fixer whipped out a secret stash and made the child promise not to get their drink mixed up with their little cousins.

But my favorite prep was loading up on vitamin C with a product called Emergen-C to thwart all of the germs the little kids share each year. I tried to advise Mrs Fixer to join me in that. Well today she's sorry she didn't.
    John 3:16

Yikes! Hopefully whatever bug it is passes quickly. I've been in and out of our local hospital since Christmas (visiting) and knock on wood have stayed healthy. Lots of hand sanitizer and actually wore a mask once into the waiting room when it was crowded. Which led me to buy another box of N95 masks for home. Also, some metal rat traps to add to my zombie stash.
    The TK20. Yes, it still rocks- WoodsWalker

My prep today was buy duct tape, cord and e3000 glue with Christmas money.

Oil for the generator, plugs and filters for the lawn equipment and fresh fuel for spare tanks.

Ran one of my Honda generators for an hour today, and a backup "woobie" poncho liner showed up in the mail...

Circumstances aligned and only upon deciding to gas up the third and final household car did I ponder geopolitics when weighing the decision: this morning out of necessity, this evening the other vehicle out of necessity (better now than in the morning on the way to work), and later this evening the SO's vehicle upon discussing events that may lead to difficulties transiting the Straits of Hormuz.
    I apologize that this letter is so long; I did not have time to write a short letter

Idleprocess- Along your lines, I went this morning and filled my empty cans with ethanol free fuel and topped off my truck. Better safe than sorry.. 🙂

In preparation for winter, I threw a sleeping bag into the trunk of my car.

Without the engine running for heat, a car can get very cold very quickly. A sleeping bag traps heat more effectively than a throw blanket. I also have a few fleece pull-overs that have saved the day many times. Last year, I added a pair of insulated gortex bibs, and the previous years 3 season parker that is also gortex lined.
    My Grand Kids call me Poppy

I have over the counter medicine refills on the way for two of my FAK's. I'm embarassed how out of date they were. Also bought a bigger bag, a Condor 3 day. It's not a Maxpedition, but for what I need it for it'll work just fine.

Just a Heads-Up --

One well-known flashlight manufacturer in China
    has reported that due to Corona Virus,
    many factories are shut down.

Future production will be delayed by this.

I'm sure this applies to OTHER critical items,
    besides flashlights !

Be Advised . . . .

Zebralight returned their production yesterday.

Yes, many factories are not operating or under normal circumstances, so the supply chain will be lower for a while.

Prep for the day was buying more toilet paper to stock, it was on sale at the supermarket.
    The darkness is afraid of us.
    Flashlights are cheaper than therapy.

T.P. is always a good prep. My local supermarket has canned veggies on sale with Dec. 2022 "best by" dates. After talking with Mrs. Scout, I'm going to head over later today...

I am going to take a look at the respirator masks I have. I have four of them. They have replaceable filters. I'm on my way to the HD to get new air filters for our furnace, and may pick up some replacement filters for the respirators too. I just want to make sure that I get the correct size/style.

I saw in the news the other day that surgical masks are getting into short supply, due to the demand of the corona virus. Little do people know that surgical masks do little to protect the wearer, but are to prevent coughs and sneezes from infecting others.

One is better protected with a N95 filter. It is designed to fit more snugly, and has an exhaust valve to make it a little more comfortable to wear. Regardless... they are not all that comfortable.

Better yet is an actual respirator with replaceable filters, that are designed for specific particulates. They are MUCH more effective, but not comfortable to wear for a long time.

EDIT:
    Not surprising... the respirator mask shelf was barren of replacement filters, and had ONE mask left on the shelf.
    Walmart had none, and I didn't try the next HD, I'm sure it would have been an exercise in futility.
    Last edited by Poppy; 02-20-2020 at 12:49 PM.

I went to my local wallyworld today and picked up a decent sized spool of 10lb test fishing line, and a couple hundred hooks.

Semi-annual recharge-a-palooza has commenced:
    I apologize that this letter is so long; I did not have time to write a short letter

Quote Originally Posted by scout24 View Post
    I went to my local wallyworld today and picked up a decent sized spool of 10lb test fishing line, and a couple hundred hooks.
    Great idea.

I bought a 6 pack of toilet paper. We aint scared o no beer virus. Besides, I save my old work out socks and scivies as dust rags so we're good for a bit if the toilet paper factory closes.

Default What was your prep for today?

5 pounds of rice and 5 pounds of beans which are somehow available everywhere here.
    Big butnotsomuch-burly

Organized some of my stay home kits:

Kit 1 stay

First aid kit
    Various meds
    Water filter, sawyer w/ hanger
    Waterbob
    Wipes
    Alcohol prep pads
    Fire starter kit
    Candle
    Stove MSR pocket rocket, butane, cooking kit
    Duct tape
    Leatherman
    Knife, esee 6, brk gunny hunter elmax
    Can opener
    Bleach
    Tinc Iodine
    Various maps

Faraday box

Flashlight and charger: md3 with sleeves, m61NLL
    Cell charger
    Portable battery, goalzero venture 70
    Radio: midland er310 (crank, solar, or 18650)
    Ham radio baofeng uv5r
    Solar panel, BioLite 10+
    Various charging cords
    Various extra batteries

Fortunately none of us are on any regular meds, but occasionally, someone needs a few days of albuterol in a nebulizer form. Called the doc a couple of days ago for a new script.
    They are doing tele-doctoring as much as possible.
    Picked up the albuterol this morning.
    While I was there, I also picked up a bottle of Tylenol, and a bag of Ruffles, and a box of cheese-tid-bits.
    Can't go wrong with a couple of extra snacks.
    Last edited by Poppy; 03-20-2020 at 09:20 AM.

Flashaholic

I almost forgot about this thread! I have been to busy prepping to read it. I do have plenty of toilet paper. I found gloves and grabbed a couple of boxes. I never thought I would need to prep for virus. This has made me rethink everything.

Quote Originally Posted by scout24 View Post
    T.P. is always a good prep. ...
    One of the many reasons to travel, and not just to the richest 30 countries on earth, but the other 160...one learns quickly that in most places on earth, t.p. isn't a right, it's a privilege. And, one quickly learns why it is so impolite in most places on earth to pick up food or reach towards someone else with one's left hand...

I don't enjoy seeing suffering, but I do enjoy the experience of being reminded of what a privileged life I lead, and seeing others being reminded (many for the very first time) of the same.

I added a BiC lighter to my stockpile.

Mrs Fixer ran out of coffee filters this morning. She forgot to stop by the store for more. She asked if I have any stashed."who me, stash stuff?", "uh no". See I figure if I let her know I have 1000 stashed away they'll end up like my BiC lighter stash……depleted when I need them. She knows darn well I have some stashed somewhere but also knows if the day ever arrives we are stuck with campfire coffee that I've got a supply set aside for grounds free percolated coffee.

Default What was your prep for today?

Long-time-no-post here. I’m not actually a prepper of sorts, I’m just into gear and general edc stuff. But lately, before the virus severely hit us, I’ve stockpiled on canned goods. Here’s what I have so far to endure COVID-19:

Food - Good for 2mos
    Water - Good for 3 weeks
    Alcohol - 3 gallons
    Latex gloves - Good for 2mos
    Surgical Masks - Good for 3mos
    Booze - Good for 2mos
    Lights - Armytek Predator v2.5, Nightcore SRT-3, Olight S1R II Winter, S1R, S10, 2x i3T + others
    Knives - Paramilitary 2, CRKT CEO, Maven & Squid, Ganzo FH-11, etc.
    Firearm - Springfield Armory XDM-9 3.8 + Olight Valkyrie Mini II
    Ammo - 300rds
    Tools - Leatherman & SAK
    Radio - Baofeng uv5r x 2
    Powerbank - Anker Powercore 20000 PD, Anker Powercore 10000 PD + others
    “Button Pushers” - numerous lighters with paperclip attached to the ends (you get the idea) to press elevator buttons & quickly sanitize thereafter.

My list is by no means extensive as I live in the city. Tomorrow, I’ll be heading out to buy more food & water (and booze ). Hoping the shelves will be restocked.
    Last edited by HaileStorm; 03-22-2020 at 04:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HaileStorm View Post
    Latex gloves - Good for 2mos
    Surgical Masks - Good for 3mos
    Booze - Good for 2mos

My list is by no means extensive as I live in the city. Tomorrow, I’ll be heading out to buy more food & water (and booze ). Hoping the shelves will be restocked.
    Thanks for your post.
    During 9/11 I served at ground zero, and was given a mask.
    Afterwards I bought three more, one each for my wife and two kids.
    So I have a total of four.
    My wife passed away, and my daughter and her two kids live with me.

Tonight I called my doctor and offered him my mask.

At first he refused, and we discussed that each filter has a limited amount of usefulness, time wise, and that the replacement filters aren't available. I suggested that a N95 filter rubber band connected to each on the sides would make it more effective, and they can be replaced, if available, or disinfected, and reused.

An hour later he accepted my offer.
    He is more likely to come into contact with infected people than I. And currently his position in society is more important than mine.

In reality we should only need one for the care-taker of who-ever gets sick in our family. The sick one will be confined to his/her bedroom. Besides, I have faith that when I am exposed, that I will be among the 98% who survive.

On hand can, box, bottle, and refrigerated food won't last forever. MREs and freeze dried will pick up the slack later. Goal is to be able to avoid 6 feet & < contact for the duration.

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy View Post
    Thanks for your post.
    During 9/11 I served at ground zero, and was given a mask.
    Afterwards I bought three more, one each for my wife and two kids.
    So I have a total of four.
    My wife passed away, and my daughter and her two kids live with me.

Tonight I called my doctor and offered him my mask.

At first he refused, and we discussed that each filter has a limited amount of usefulness, time wise, and that the replacement filters aren't available. I suggested that a N95 filter rubber band connected to each on the sides would make it more effective, and they can be replaced, if available, or disinfected, and reused.

An hour later he accepted my offer.
    He is more likely to come into contact with infected people than I. And currently his position in society is more important than mine.

In reality we should only need one for the care-taker of who-ever gets sick in our family. The sick one will be confined to his/her bedroom. Besides, I have faith that when I am exposed, that I will be among the 98% who survive.
    Sorry, I may have failed to mention that the masks I have is a single box of 50. Since only one person per household is allowed to go out to get supplies, I figured this box of 50 would last me 3mos. Maybe more since I rarely go out for a supply run to the grocery. We are under lockdown in my country at the moment so movement is severely restricted.

Im sorry to hear about your wife. I salute you for being one of 9/11’s true heroes. My respect goes out to all front-liners be it because of COVID-19 or previous disasters and outbreaks.

Quote Originally Posted by bykfixer View Post
    Mrs Fixer ran out of coffee filters this morning. She forgot to stop by the store for more. She asked if I have any stashed."who me, stash stuff?", "uh no". See I figure if I let her know I have 1000 stashed away they'll end up like my BiC lighter stash……depleted when I need them. She knows darn well I have some stashed somewhere but also knows if the day ever arrives we are stuck with campfire coffee that I've got a supply set aside for grounds free percolated coffee.
    It's a good time to learn the French Press - no filter, no mechanical parts, accepts water heated by any method.

Quote Originally Posted by HaileStorm View Post
    Booze - Good for 2mos
    You hard liquor guys have it easy, I'd hate to try to store two months of craft beer..

Quote Originally Posted by StarHalo View Post
    It's a good time to learn the French Press - no filter, no mechanical parts, accepts water heated by any method.

Been drinking French press almost everyday for the past 24 years, makes very good coffee. The press also makes a good tea pot for loose leaves. They're practical. Much prefer the stainless steel ones over the glass.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast