EU passes new copyright directive today :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

torchsarecool

Enlightened
So the EU parliament have voted to approve the new copyright laws including article 13.

What a devastating impact this will have on Europeans. No YouTube, very limited use of social media and the internet in general.

No more flashlight reviews. No more looking up helpful or interesting videos to help with projects. No more wealth of information to help educate and inform people who may struggle finding the advice they need elsewhere. As a tool, for me especially YouTube, it's been invaluable.

I myself have nearly £2000 invested in camera equipment and laptop to enable me to get serious with my YouTube channel. Not a small amount of money for me. What now? I doubt we will get the brexit we voted for. And what about other Europeans.

If you're in Europe and you're unfamiliar with this. Please check it out. It's going to have quite an impact.

Last edited:

RBR

Enlightened
I don't really need YouTube and other "social" media, so no problem for me.

Other folks from Europe can use Tor and stay happy.

Cheers

RBR

torchsarecool

Enlightened
That is, before made a review on a flashlight, you need to ask permission of the manufacturer of the flashlight?

Yes. However because YouTube has so many hundreds of thousands of uploads every week, they can't possibly check all content for copyright infringement. The new directive makes social media platforms liable rather then the uploader. Therefore YouTube have said they'd have no choice but to block content being uploaded altogether from European nations.
I believe there will still be content available from a few creators who are in collaboration with YouTube and considered copyright clean (we're talking Major YouTube stars), however your average joe uploading videos will not be given such authorisation.
Previously uploaded content will also have to adhere to the new laws and will be blocked from view in the EU.

torchsarecool

Enlightened
I'm a bit of an addict to YouTube. Much prefer it to tv. Also I get annoyed by the amount of government propaganda on mainstream media. I Find you gain a much broader perspective from small media outlets or independent journalists

RBR

Enlightened
Using the above linked browser you will still be able to follow any of your favorite channels, no matter which regulations might be agreed and set by EU. It is your key to dark net as well...;)

I'm a bit of an addict to YouTube. Much prefer it to tv. Also I get annoyed by the amount of government propaganda on mainstream media. I Find you gain a much broader perspective from small media outlets or independent journalists

I think you've hit the nail right on the head. It's a well know fact that the powers that be at youtube have been actively censoring conservative content for some time. Article 13 strikes me as a huge lock to keep non-sanctioned views from being available to viewers.

~ Chance

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Using the above linked browser you will still be able to follow any of your favorite channels, no matter which regulations might be agreed and set by EU. It is your key to dark net as well...;)

Viruses and malware???

torchsarecool

Enlightened
Chance. You're absolutely spot on. But that sort of thinking would just be brushed aside as a conspiracy theory. People think the people of North Korea are under government control (and they are) but we're not as far off as were led to believe

I don't think Tor-Browser will provide someone the ability to upload any and all content they desire to YouTube. Article 13 doesn't stop one from viewing what they want. It puts heavy restrictions on what you upload.

~ Chance

RBR

Enlightened
It hides/covers your location, wherever you might upload from, so uploading should still work out as well.

Last edited:

RBR

Enlightened
Maybe, sometimes you just need to get out of your comfort zone.

Using Tor is quite comfortable and fast by the way, no big deal.

Last edited:
It hides/covers your location, wherever you might upload from, so uploading should still work out as well.

keeping one's I.P. address and browsing history private is not the same endeavor as up-loading content to YouTube. The content must now be approved as being copyright free/approved.

~ Chance

torchsarecool

Enlightened
You'd have to be a massive YouTuber to even have a chance of getting your content reviewed.
Not sure how people will respond once things start getting censored left right and centre. I think it's massively arrogant of the politicians to think this won't cause uproar, I'm pretty sure it won't go down well once more people catch on.

nbp

Flashaholic
If you are uploading original content you created and not stealing copyrighted material and posting it, this law really shouldn't affect you. If you are uploading material that doesn't belong to you, well, maybe you shouldn't be doing that.

torchsarecool

Enlightened
If you are uploading original content you created and not stealing copyrighted material and posting it, this law really shouldn't affect you. If you are uploading material that doesn't belong to you, well, maybe you shouldn't be doing that.

The problem is that YouTube (or any other platform where user can upload content) doesn't have the ability to monitor uploads to the extent it would be required to under the new law. As a result they have said their only option is a blanket ban within the EU. EU citizens would neither be able to upload or view content, other then the very very limited content approved by YouTube.
It isn't simply a case of ensuring all content is copyright free. We will not be able to upload anything at all

torchsarecool

Enlightened
I don't know what stance the likes of Facebook, twitter, Instagram etc are going to take. But they will be held accountable under the same law, so we will have to see

Status
Not open for further replies.