Headlamp for running

JaneN

Newly Enlightened
Hi,
I'm practicing toward my first marathon run :), and I'm looking for the best headlamp for my night runs.
Does anyone know this one? What else do you recommend on? It has to be very comfortable of course, and with a fine reaction to bouncing and sweat.
Thanks,
Jane

VVVS

Newly Enlightened
Honesty, it's a cheaply built light but would probably work fine for you if it's not DOA.

parametrek

Enlightened
You don't want that. The batteries and charger that come with it are 1 step short of being fire hazards. You don't want zooming in a running light either. Or strobe. "Waterproof to IP50" means it doesn't have any waterproofing at all.

What is your budget?

The least expensive headlamp I'd use is the $30 Wowtac A2S. The most useful mode it has for running is 126 lumens for 14 hours. Plenty of light for plenty of time. I strongly recommend choosing the neutral white version.

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
We need more information such as duration of the run, the terrain, typical running speeds and the amount of light output you are looking to have. All these are factors that should be considered. There are also a few threads on this topic already which may already have the answer you are looking for.

JaneN

Newly Enlightened
We need more information such as duration of the run, the terrain, typical running speeds and the amount of light output you are looking to have. All these are factors that should be considered. There are also a few threads on this topic already which may already have the answer you are looking for.

Thank you everybody for your answers!!!
As for your questions, I usually run for an hour and a half or 2 hours, in plain and flat terrain. My average tempo is 5:30-6:00 minutes per km, and I need some heavy lighting because some of the terrains I run in can be quite dark.
I've read a little past threads but haven't found anything relevant, if you have a specific link I will be happy to read!
Thanks!

PartyPete

Enlightened
Depends on your running habits. I'm pretty casual so I use the Fenix HL10 due to it's small size and overall light weight. I really don't like large headlamps unless it's absolutely necessary, especially when I'm running. This is about 2 oz total with battery.

While it's tiny and weighs next to nothing the trade off is moderate output on a single AAA; it's rated at 80 lumens but I believe most people testing it put it closer to 100 lumens. Also, with the low capacity of AAA you will get about an hour of run time on high. Low/medium modes are much longer and I'll typically run as the sun sets or rises, so I tend to be conservative. If need be I just bring a spare battery.

I'm fine with the lower output and run time as a trade off, my runs aren't long and I don't like anything larger strapped to my head, honestly.

GoVegan

Enlightened
JaneN

Sorry for the late post, saw your thread soon after you posted but I've only just logged in today.

Firstly please don't waste your money on the light you linked to, unknown trash that will probably die soon after purchase.

You'd be better off sticking with a reputable brand, I've used my Petzl Tikka XP headlamp with Eneloops for many years for running and all outdoor activities and still going strong. Mine is an older 80 lumen model but newer ones are about 350 lumens. IPX4 so no worries in heavy rain, used mine all the time in rain.

They are also very affordable, for you and for running I'd recommend the Petzl ACTIK Core which is USB rechargeable but can also take 3AAA batteries, or the ACTIK model (non-USB rechable) and power it by Eneloops recharable AAA batteries which will last you for many many years.
Great video here:
https://vimeo.com/206098790

Another good thing about Petzl is that they sell replacement headstraps, most other companies don't. Note I'm still on my original one though, and still in great condition as I store mine in a Petzl case, which is also worth buying if you plan to travel with it, again most other companies don't sell cases.

Lastly if you are serious about running and want to increase your performance, read about Scott Jurek the greatest long distance ultramarathon runner and how why he recommends a vegan diet.
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/ultramarathon-running-diet_b_1587874

Good luck with your training.