Tactical Flashlight suitable for Mountain Biking and Road Cycling

mtb

Newly Enlightened
Hi Folks,

Done some searching with not much joy.

I'm looking for a Tactical Flashlight suitable for Mountain Biking and Road Cycling (Commuting & Touring) too.

I don't have any soldering skills for Do It Yourself. So, an off the shelf or custom made product would be best I think.

I would like the light to have the following characteristics.

High CRI
4000K Max. Temp. (Neutral White)
Be able to light up the full width of a car lane; is an Orange Peel reflector more suitable for this purpose?
Long run time at 500 lumens
18650 Battery
No PWM dimming
Mode Memory
Defensive Bezel
Max Output: High enough for useful defense purpose; what's a good minimum?
Useful Throw - what is considered a useful minimum for Max. Throw?

After creating a Spreadsheet for comparison purposes I thought I had found a winner which was the MF Tactical Delta-5.

https://shop.monsterflashlight.com/...ght-5-mode-with-magnetic-base/?v=3acf83834396

LED: Cree® XP-L HD V5
1300 lumens / 4 hrs
910 lumens / 5 hrs 45 mins
520 lumens / 13 hrs
130 lumens / 40 hrs

However, after reading some posts on this Forum and receiving replies, from my last email, that did not properly address the questions, I have doubts about buying anything from them.

For example, when I asked about PWM Dimming regarding the Delta-4 & Delta-5, the response I received was "They both are digitally regulated, but brightness on both is related to battery charge state.". Can someone translate please?

There is no Neutral White option neither.

Can anyone recommend a Flashlight with similar Output and Run Times and is available with a Neutral White LED?

Bike Handlebar Mounts
---------------------
Has anybody used the following for Off-road use?

TrustFire HE02 Aluminium Alloy Bike Handlebar Light Mount
http://kaidomain.com/bike-lights-an...oy-Bike-Handlebar-Light-Mount-for-Flashlights

Fenix ALB-10 Quick-Release Bike Mount
https://www.fenix-store.com/fenix-alb-10-quick-release-bike-mount/

Thanks, MTB.

matt4350

Enlightened
I don't want to sound like a dimwit, because I imagine you've already considered this, but I would think your best bet is to get a dedicated bike light and a dedicated "tactical" light. At least the bike light is specifically designed towards illuminating the area you need to ride, taking into account oncoming traffic, while a tactical light may not be particularly good at this. I imagine others here could give a bit of feedback.

Regards the PWM dimming you refer to, is that like the 'stepdown' when the light has run a certain amount of time at a certain level so as to save on power? Or did you mean you don't want PWM on the dim modes?

So far as max output goes with a light used for defensive purposes, my opinion is an intensity of around 10,000 candela is likely adequate (check the intensity of the light as opposed to just the output/lumens, this will be written as 10 000 cd or similar). My rule of thumb is to take the advertised range of the light and divide it by 3, or even 4 to estimate its usefulness. Your useful minimum for max throw can be based on what you think your needs are and using that formula, it's basically down to your assessment and opinion.

mtb

Newly Enlightened
I don't want to sound like a dimwit, because I imagine you've already considered this, ... , it's basically down to your assessment and opinion.

I want a Tactical Light for multiple uses.

PWM = Pulse Width Modulation and causes Flickering which causes a strain on (stress for) the eyes.

What I want is a Constant Current Circuit.

GoVegan

Enlightened
You really should be looking at getting two different lights, one for each intended purpose.

Even a half decent tactical flashlight has none of the features (UI, power source, modes) that would make a good bike light and vice versa.

Last edited: