Arc4 Pouch Protos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
As you may know our current LS pouch wasn't designed for the new Arc4. I have been talking with various manufacturers about making a pouch specifically for the Arc4. Here are protos from a well known contractor for the US military. Of course, these are made in the USA. Your thoughts on the different designes, clasp mechanisms, etc are welcome. For the sake of discussion, the variations are left to right, 1,2 and 3. 2 has the pull clasp and 3 has the twist clasp for example.

pouchproto1.jpg

pouchproto2.jpg

pouchproto3.jpg

pouchproto4.jpg

pouchproto5.jpg

pouchproto6.jpg

Peter

adimag

Newly Enlightened
Nice work Peter!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif I think the design looks great. Personally, I like the simple utility of design #1 with the simple snap mechanism. From there I like #3 with the twist clasp and finally #2 with the pull clasp. I think the pull clasp is a "neat" feature but I would choose it last if I had the option of the other types of clasps.

was_jlh

Enlightened
Too bulky, how 'bout a "stretched" version of the current LS pouch?

...or something Kydex-based, as we've seen in other threads.

stringj

Newly Enlightened
Peter,
You will get a barrage of replies as usual, but I prefer number 2 or 3. I am not a fan of snaps. I personally would prefer an open-topped carrier, but alas, no one makes one.
Jerry

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
At this stage I am looking for suggestions not a vote on features. Just one good suggestion is all it takes whereas feature votes require majority.

Not sure if I explained that well. Basically, this is just an early discussion.

Btw, this design isn't intended to compete with other pouch projects.

Peter

kaseri

Enlightened
I like #1 only if the button snap on the body of the pouch is isolated from the light. Otherwise the button snap will scratch up the light over time.

Flashlight Enthusiast
A suggestion I have is to use ballistic grade nylon. Not the real soft stuff. Design a holster that is tough and maintains its shape, and keeps the light perfectly still.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
i've never been a fan of holsters, and won't be getting any, so i suppose my input is useless, but if i had to use one, i think i'd prefer number one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

really though, some sort of kydex holster would be great! probably not as a main pouch, but it would make a nice acessory i think /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

Geode

Enlightened
Peter,

I like the clasp (1) because of the narrower profile and ease of use. The twist button seems like it sticks out too far and could snag or scrape on things. The pull clasp has some of the same potential drawbacks.

One of the nice things about the clasp is that it makes a positive "click" when closed. The velcro belt loop is a nice touch because the pouch can slip on and off of a belt easily.

Flashlightboy

Enlightened
#1 is simple but ordinary. It looks rather plain and while very utilitarian, I'd prefer something else. I could use this but I think that it doesn't fit the cutting edge image of the A4.

#2 is my least favorite because it looks like a waist mounted coat hanger. It seems to add too much bulk to the pouch.

#3 is intriguing but I'll pass on it too. This simply sticks out very far. The twisty is very military looking but I think it just isn't the right design for the A4.

My suggestion - I like the pouch itself but I'd suggest a Fastex type fastener. It updates the older snap design, it doesn't protrude very much and is very secure. For those that want looks and performance I think it would meet the requirements of both.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Personally Peter, I like the current pouch. Could it just be modified to accept the Arc4 a bit better? All that's needed is a little working with the length and velco. What I like about the current pouch design is its no-buld size. Anything else is going to bulk it up too much.

mut

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think that something with a little stretch to hold light in place and then either velcro or latch on the bottom of pouch as then the latch would stickout downward rather than outward to catch on things. Hope that makes a little sense. I don't think unlatching from bottom would be too hard.
Just a thought. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

Likebright

Enlightened
Peter,
I was thinking along the lines of #1 but made out of black Neoprene.
Less bulky, easier to form, sharper looking, better protection, tighter fit.
My 2¢ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif
Mike

dandruff

Enlightened
i think #1 is best. either that just plain simple velcro

note: i dont own a arc4 (but i want one real bad). just giving my 2cents

Radagast

Enlightened
How about a little thinner and a little taller /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif It doesn't look snug enough, but it looks to tight over the top where it might engage the switch. How about a bezel up design with a plastic liner or ring at the bottom in which the button can rest in and not be engaged. It would need to be removable, though for those who get the new tailguard...hmmmmm. I'd prefer velcro closure and a metal clip. The velcro belt loop looks a little bulky and the pouch would dangle too much.

dandruff

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Radagast said:
How about a little thinner and a little taller /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

oh yeah and they do look a little fat:D

Nitnos

Newly Enlightened
I would have to agree with nascar. The current pouch with a few minor adjustments would work well. Bulky pockets are a pain to deal with, especially when you want to carry more than one Arc;)!

Nitnos

KDC

Newly Enlightened
The velcro on the belt loop is a good idea -- keep that.
Main purpose here is to protect the light, so the sides should come up higher -- to at least the tail part.
I like to use the Arc4 pocket clip to attach the light to the pouch, and then the cover to protect the lens; some padding on the inside of the flap would be nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.