Opinions on my bezel mod please?

Warden

Newly Enlightened
Hi folks. Was wondering what you guys think of the bezel I worked on for my rotary? I was originally going to sand blast it after I removed the crenulations, then I was going to Cerakote it, but can't think of a good color. However, after putting a mirror polish on it I am really liking it. Bad iPhone pics follow. Thanks for looking and any opinions!!

2wmi8m9.jpg

30t5c3k.jpg

14nzhc8.jpg

toads

Newly Enlightened
Is there any particular reason for you to have done this? Did you dislike the crenelations?

I don't much particularly like polished equipment as it's slippery and scratches easily.

Looks nice and clean though.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Top notch! The bezel crenellations are one of the few things I don't love about HDS. A bit too tactical for my taste. The mirror shine is something special, although I'd miss the s/n.

nbp

Flashaholic
Very nice work. I like the smoothie bezel but I would blast or stonewash it. Mirror polish is impossible to maintain. I'm impressed at how shiny you got it though!

Weren't there a batch of smoothie bezels years ago, maybe for the Legacy lights? Something for me to try to look for.

glimmer

Newly Enlightened
Looks very nice! Must have taken a lot of work.

I do like the crenelations myself. They prevent me from accidentally leaving the light on (their only value), and are not too sharp. Anyone depending on them for self defense has a problem on their hands! :D

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree, we don't have much call for defensive gear up here. I would miss the crens just for the putting the light nose down bit. Nice bit of work though.
P

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will say that the crenellations are especially useful in conjunction with the locator flash. When I sleep in a hotel room or other unfamiliar place, I toggle the locator on and place the flashlight bezel down on the night stand. Enough light escapes to locate the flashlight, but not enough to be disturbing. I like the look of this one, though. After all, there's always room for variety in a collection of torches!

toads

Newly Enlightened
I will say that the crenellations are especially useful in conjunction with the locator flash. When I sleep in a hotel room or other unfamiliar place, I toggle the locator on and place the flashlight bezel down on the night stand. Enough light escapes to locate the flashlight, but not enough to be disturbing. I like the look of this one, though. After all, there's always room for variety in a collection of torches!

I had a situation come up recently where I was in a pitch black room but we needed some light, so I just tailstood my rotary and it took an absolute bare minimum amount of lumens on the ceiling to get enough light throughout the room. Stayed on all night and then still had a ton of charge left.

I do like the crenelations though, they add a nice bit of style to the light.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the shiny bezel. Looks good.

The crenelations are only there to let one know if the light is on when set on the bezel. They were never intended to be anything "tacticool" or for defensive purposes. We use firearms for that here in Arizona.

redryder

Enlightened
Any concerns that the lens might be less protected if it falls towards the ground?

Warden

Newly Enlightened
Hey fellas! Wow, thanks for all the responses and kind words! I'll answer the questions and comments here some of you had.

First, I removed the crenulations for a couple reasons. Mainly because I just like changing things around on things I have. It kind of gives me another way to enjoy the item and it kinds of makes it my own a little more I guess. I chose the crenulations because I don't really have a need for them. They look great but as some of you mentioned, they are really too smooth for any "defensive" purpose. I'm not looking for that purpose anyway really. I had never thought of the idea of turning the light on very low and putting it face down on a bedside table and the light coming through the crenulations would allow you to find it at night. I have to get up once or twice a night and this would have been very helpful. Thanks for the idea! I have a couple ideas to modify the bezel further that would allow this idea to still work.

I am really liking the mirror finish so far. As was mentioned, it is a lot slipperier but there is so much nice texture on the rest of the light it hasn't seemed to matter so far. Mentioned was the loss of the Serial Number, I tried to save it and the HDC brand but it came off very quickly unfortunately. Someone mentioned a stonewashed finish. I hadn't even thought of that, great idea thanks! Oh, and Mr. NBP mentioned a batch of factory smooth bezels. I found just a couple of photos of what look like factory smooth bezels, but didn't find any real information on them.

As to any concern over the lens being less protected from falls, I guess it is more exposed and closer to the ground than with the crenulations but I'm not really that concerned. HDC puts a nice big chunk of steel on the bezel and there is still a big chunk left, and they give that nice big thick lens too so I'm not terribly concerned.

I'll put up some photos of the bezel on the rest of the light so you can get the full picture. Trying to find my daughter's real camera for better pics but I'll post some tomorrow either way for those who asked.

Thanks again for all responses. I got some great new ideas.
And thanks to HDC and everyone making this great light!

WarriorOfLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
The polished bezel looks cool to me. Could you take a few pictures with the bezel on a HDS light? Guess it looks really cool. I guess I would take this bezel for my UV HDS... :D