• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Honest Feedback (Mechforce Mechtorch)

alitd

Newly Enlightened
Hi All,
I recently purchased a high end, for me, led flashlight.

Rather then come off as drama and badmouth the company unnecessarily, I'd like to state my case and questions and get honest feedback.

The cost of the light is around $200. Upon arrival I noticed the lens was broken and contacted CS. They sent me a link stating I could buy a new one for $5. Let me skip that drama and mention indeed a new lens on them is on the way. However, while I was taking apart the head to make sure I could install the lens, I noticed a couple things.
1.it came with an off brand (not the one they ship with) battery installed. They do NOT intend this or mention it anywhere.
2.the inside of the box lid was a bit dirty.

I asked if this was a return and was told "there had been no returns" the shop guys use batteries for testing and forgot and accidentally left it inside. Also "white boxes get dirty".

Ok, so before I install trits on this, does this story sound reasonable? Are these redflags?

The rest of the light looks ok, but I have little experience and haven't messed with it.

Thanks in advance.

Mods if this is the wrong section please move and advise.

Last edited:

alitd

Newly Enlightened
Re: Honest Feedback

I was trying to avoid naming them, unless I need too.

Here is cut and paste from the email.

"Your light is brand new. We have batteries all over the shop used for testing. Sometimes, our testing people forget to remove the battery out. The packaging box is white so it very difficult to keep it clean. We have not have a single return since the product launch so it is impossible that we ship you a returned products. I'm sorry for your situation. We have already agreed to send your replacement glass. Sometime, the post office workers toss packages like a baseball. We will put more packaging protection in the future."

ironhorse

Enlightened

I had a similar situation. I purchased a gas powered air compressor. It looked new. Tags on the engine and pump saying no oil in engine and no oil in pump. I got it home and went to put oil in, and both the pump and engine had oil to the correct level.

I filled it with gas (fresh), and had a miserable time getting it started. Once started, it ran fine. I went to use it several days later, and again nearly 30 pulls to start. The third time it wouldn't start at all. I returned it.

I suspect that someone had it, had the same trouble, then returned it. I can't say for sure though.

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast

Unless it's something that's really hard to find I'd ask to return it for a full refund and buy it elsewhere. Just my $.02 but that's one too many problems for me especially for the price. If it was a $20 light I'd say c'est la vie but it's not. It's $200. I've had folks ask for refunds through ebay for more money with less issues and I've always done it as long as they were polite about it.

Just out of curiosity: Have you asked to return it for a full refund? Before naming them here I would try.

LRJ88

Enlightened

Hi All,
I recently purchased a high end, for me, led flashlight.

Rather then come off as drama and badmouth the company unnecessarily, I'd like to state my case and questions and get honest feedback.

The cost of the light is around $200. Upon arrival I noticed the lens was broken and contacted CS. They sent me a link stating I could buy a new one for $5. Let me skip that drama and mention indeed a new lens on them is on the way. However, while I was taking apart the head to make sure I could install the lens, I noticed a couple things.
1.it came with an off brand (not the one they ship with) battery installed. They do NOT intend this or mention it anywhere.
2.the inside of the box lid was a bit dirty.

I asked if this was a return and was told "there had been no returns" the shop guys use batteries for testing and forgot and accidentally left it inside. Also "white boxes get dirty".

Ok, so before I install trits on this, does this story sound reasonable? Are these redflags?

The rest of the light looks ok, but I have little experience and haven't messed with it.

Thanks in advance.

Mods if this is the wrong section please move and advise.

Just wondering, did you purchase the light directly from the company and not a dealer?

Also, have you inspected all the o-rings and examined the threads for possible abuse or improper handling as well so you can be sure it isn't a used flashlight that they've switched some parts on and then try to send it off as new if it's directly from the company?

alitd

Newly Enlightened

Thanks for the replies, more food for thought.

I had a similar situation. I purchased a gas powered air compressor. It looked new. Tags on the engine and pump saying no oil in engine and no oil in pump. I got it home and went to put oil in, and both the pump and engine had oil to the correct level.

I filled it with gas (fresh), and had a miserable time getting it started. Once started, it ran fine. I went to use it several days later, and again nearly 30 pulls to start. The third time it wouldn't start at all. I returned it.

I suspect that someone had it, had the same trouble, then returned it. I can't say for sure though.

lol, yep, bout sums it up.

Unless it's something that's really hard to find I'd ask to return it for a full refund and buy it elsewhere. Just my $.02 but that's one too many problems for me especially for the price. If it was a $20 light I'd say c'est la vie but it's not. It's $200. I've had folks ask for refunds through ebay for more money with less issues and I've always done it as long as they were polite about it.

Just out of curiosity: Have you asked to return it for a full refund? Before naming them here I would try.

I haven't, I'm afraid to ask. Just getting the lens was difficult.

Just wondering, did you purchase the light directly from the company and not a dealer?

Also, have you inspected all the o-rings and examined the threads for possible abuse or improper handling as well so you can be sure it isn't a used flashlight that they've switched some parts on and then try to send it off as new if it's directly from the company?

Company direct. I inspected it thoroughly and as an admitted novice, it looks ok. Ran it without the lens. SEEMS fine.

LRJ88

Enlightened

Thanks for the replies, more food for thought.

lol, yep, bout sums it up.

I haven't, I'm afraid to ask. Just getting the lens was difficult.

Company direct. I inspected it thoroughly and as an admitted novice, it looks ok. Ran it without the lens. SEEMS fine.

It seems fishy for a company to act like this when their product is admittedly not as advertised, especially expecting you to buy replacements right away for a lens that was cracked on arrival.

In my opinion the way you've been treated and the fact they didn't just send out a new lens and the right battery right away when you've shelled out $200 for the thing are all red flags and i'd be very careful dealing with the company after that as well as document any and all issues that come up. Maybe even take pictures of the entire flashlight including threads etc. to show the condition of it before you start using it in case something happens.

The fingerprints in the box thing is a bit sloppy, but that can actually happen, especially on white that seems to suck up stuff from your fingers even after you've washed them several times.

Mr. LED

Enlightened

I guess this topic would serve a lot more purpose if the name of the company were disclosed.

alitd

Newly Enlightened

I've had a couple days to think about this and the replies here really helped. I'm going to go ahead and post the light here for a couple of reasons. Primarily I believe that good customer service IS important and that people on this site deserve a chance to know what they are getting into with this product.
Also, if this is an isolated incident then the company should have no issues.

https://mechforce-usa.com/mechforce-mechtorch-edc-flashlight-titanium-stonewashed/

I will say that this light checks off quite a few boxes for me and other then the very strange interaction while receiving the light I would be a satisfied customer.

I also hope that with this new information you may be able to continue the advice.

Thanks in advance

LRJ88

Enlightened

I've had a couple days to think about this and the replies here really helped. I'm going to go ahead and post the light here for a couple of reasons. Primarily I believe that good customer service IS important and that people on this site deserve a chance to know what they are getting into with this product.
Also, if this is an isolated incident then the company should have no issues.

https://mechforce-usa.com/mechforce-mechtorch-edc-flashlight-titanium-stonewashed/

I will say that this light checks off quite a few boxes for me and other then the very strange interaction while receiving the light I would be a satisfied customer.

I also hope that with this new information you may be able to continue the advice.

Thanks in advance

With a product like that they should have inspected it thoroughly one final time before sending it off, all this almost makes me feel like maybe you got a warranty return light instead of a new one but then you'd be able to see scuffs etc. on it if it got beaten enough to crack the lens.

Thank you for telling us either way, it helps when getting an idea regarding how well companies deal with the actual warranty claims they get.