Maglite Organizer ?????

Mr.Mag

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone have any ideas on how to either make a DIY or buy something to organize various cell size Maglites? Im not talking to display or just standing them up on a shelf but sort of an organizer that is totally functional. Organize and grab n go if needed all at the same time. Ive seen where people have mounted the Maglite mounting brackets on a board but Im looking for something a little more than that. Any ideas or pics would be much appreciated. I need to have something from solitaires all the way to a 6D. Also have a few XL200's and a few MAG-TAC's I would like to incorporate into as well. Ive googled images before and seen people make holders out of PVC and plastic rod holders for fishing boats and what not but just wanted to see if anyone has thought up or actually made anything like this before........Could be wall mounted or sit on top of a dresser for example. Im open for any ideas...Thanks.

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
How many lights and Grab & Go where to do what exactly?

Function means a lot of different things to each of us so the more exact clue about what your goal is the better an idea can be offered.

Mr.Mag

Newly Enlightened
Function as in easy to identify a certain light and make it easy to grab the one you need and go. Split second emergency or maybe even telling the kids a certain one to get for you. I guess totally functional as in not under lock and key easily accessible easily to identify set on top of a dresser or hang on a wall. Just something you could get if you needed to fairly quickly without may be worrying about knocking stuff over if you had them set up on a shelf for example. Hopefully that makes more sense.

As far as how many lets say one AAA mini a few AA mini's two or three C cells and like five D cells.

Last edited:

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
Function as in easy to identify a certain light and make it easy to grab the one you need and go. Split second emergency or maybe even telling the kids a certain one to get for you. I guess totally functional as in not under lock and key easily accessible easily to identify set on top of a dresser or hang on a wall. Just something you could get if you needed to fairly quickly without may be worrying about knocking stuff over if you had them set up on a shelf for example. Hopefully that makes more sense.

As far as how many lets say one AAA mini a few AA mini's two or three C cells and like five D cells.

Well I can see just a simple shelf with holes drilled to accept the various sized Mags all lined up in whatever way makes sense to you.
This would work for almost all of them except for the straight sided versions that are not wearing clips.

This way they could also be labeled easily for the kids to ID them and so you will know if there are any missing too.

You could also easily extend this idea into the top try of a box if you needed to carry the whole assortment somewhere.

Guitar Guy

Enlightened
I've pondered the idea of a Maglite rack or shelf also, being somewhat of a collector, and since standing them up beside each other risks the domino effect when knocking one over, as I have done. Maglites, especially the longer ones are just akward when it comes to storage.

I've considered the shelf with D, C, or AA sized holes, but it really can lead to scratches along the body of the light if you're concerned about keeping some of them nice, especially on the longer ones. Size and headroom could also be akward also for longer 6 or 7D sizes.

For grab & go purposes around my various workbenches and garage / basement locations, I've had great results with the basic coated tool hooks available at Lowes for about $1.48 each. They're the perfect size for C or D Mags. The coating comes in different colors if desired, and does not mar the light. The action of hanging it up or taking it down is simple and quick in one hand motion if you're doing it repetitively around a work area, a lot more convenient than sliding it into a rack with holes, and without scratching it. The way it curves up at the tips and the rounded back really cradle the Mag head securely in a nice way, and holds it out a little from the wall, with little chance of slipping or vibrating out.

I know it's probably not the solution you're looking for as a self contained organizer, but the hooks do work very well for lights that get used. If you wanted, you could probably mount a line of hooks onto a nice board with eye hooks to hang it on a wall if you wanted it to be movable.

Side note: If you screw one into a wooden dowel that has a spike on the other end, it makes a great rod cradle to stick in the ground when fishing.

JT

mTEvvXV.jpg

bykfixer

Flashaholic
How many are we talking here? A dozen? A hundred?

Do you need to be able to scoop them all up in seconds for emergencies like a tornado?

I'm thinking wooden frame hung on the wall, filled with foam with a cut out for each light. Perhaps more than one of these. Plexiglass in a frame with door hinges to raise and lower for opening, closing to remove/replace a light. Carry handle(s) on top of frame that is hung on the wall by something straight so you can slide it away from wall in a hurry.

Heavy? Oh, yeah.

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am sorry but there is no way that a piece of wood is going to scratch a Maglite in my experience.
If you make a hole say 1/8" bigger than the tube of the light and it is smooth inside this is just not going to scrath an anodized finish like these lights have,unless maybe you try to scratch one.

I've pondered the idea of a Maglite rack or shelf also, being somewhat of a collector, and since standing them up beside each other risks the domino effect when knocking one over, as I have done. Maglites, especially the longer ones are just akward when it comes to storage.

I've considered the shelf with D, C, or AA sized holes, but it really can lead to scratches along the body of the light if you're concerned about keeping some of them nice, especially on the longer ones. Size and headroom could also be akward also for longer 6 or 7D sizes.

For grab & go purposes around my various workbenches and garage / basement locations, I've had great results with the basic coated tool hooks available at Lowes for about $1.48 each. They're the perfect size for C or D Mags. The coating comes in different colors if desired, and does not mar the light. The action of hanging it up or taking it down is simple and quick in one hand motion if you're doing it repetitively around a work area, a lot more convenient than sliding it into a rack with holes, and without scratching it. The way it curves up at the tips and the rounded back really cradle the Mag head securely in a nice way, and holds it out a little from the wall, with little chance of slipping or vibrating out.

I know it's probably not the solution you're looking for as a self contained organizer, but the hooks do work very well for lights that get used. If you wanted, you could probably mount a line of hooks onto a nice board with eye hooks to hang it on a wall if you wanted it to be movable.

Side note: If you screw one into a wooden dowel that has a spike on the other end, it makes a great rod cradle to stick in the ground when fishing.

JT

mTEvvXV.jpg