Looking for an EDC/tactical combo with specific specs

Possu

Newly Enlightened
Hi everyone!

My first post, so a short introduction is in order I suppose. I'm a fortyish guy from Finland. I work in construction outside in rough conditions and I've developed a liking to quality tools. I wouldn't call myself a proper flashlight enthusiast, but I'm over the "normal" threshhold anyway. My current selection (not a collection :D) is this:

1. LRI Photon Micro-Light II

This is attached to my house key. I won't leave home without it.

2. penlight 2 x AAA

I try to have one always in my work jacket pen pocket. These get lost, broken and stolen often enough so I just buy any old cheapo off the first hardware store I come across when I need one

3. Underwater Kinetics 4 x AA

I usually have a few handy at work because of their ATEX rating.

4. Maglite ML300LX 3D

This is the one that got the ball rolling. My first quality flashlight. I chose it mostly because I wanted a big and powerful light running with regular batteries and being a kid of the 80's and 90's Maglite had a nice nostalgia value. I was also very impressed with the runtime. This is my main flashlight for situations where I know I will need a flashlight and I'm not bothered about the size.

5. Olight X7R Marauder

I mostly use this on long and dark winter mornings at work when I need to flood a large area with light. Sometimes I choose this over the Maglite for its smaller size.

As you may notice I don't have a nice, easily pocketable general purpose flashlight at all. I used to have an Olight S2A Baton for easy carry and now I'm looking to replace it. The ideal specs for me would be the following, in order of importance:

• Easy fit in jeans front pocket (I'm thinking 2xAA - 1x18650 or such)
  • Moonlight mode (instant access from OFF)
  • Turbo mode (instant access from OFF)
  • One single tailswitch
  • Smoothish form (not tactical looking, I don't mind a strike bezel though)
  • 1000+ lumens preferably
  • USB rechargeable
  • Candle mode able

I'm beginning to realise I need to make some compromises. Thus far I've been looking at an Olight M2R Warrior and an Eagtac DX3B Clicky Pro. Both have two switches and I'd really like just the one. I'm leaning towards the Olight, but I would really like to try something else for a change. I'm a total n00b when it comes to flashlights, so I'm probably missing some obvious alternatives.

I would very much appreciate help and any suggestions you might have would be welcome. Thanks in advance and sorry for the long and winding post.

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic
Hello and welcome to CPF

I don't see a budget listed above ?

The built-in USB charging limits choices significantly. If you don't need that, maybe look at the Emisar D4, just as a starting point ?

If budget allows, you can spend much more however, such as Oveready BOSS, for example.

Possu

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for letting me in and thanks for the suggestions. I don't really have a set budget. Maybe I hope to stay under $300, but every time I really get into something my budgets go out the window. At this point I'm pretty sure I won't pay a thousand bucks for a flashlight. I'm sort of cured from my watch affliction and I hope this won't be quite as expensive.

I'm really interested in anything close to my specs that's qualitywise at least on par with Olight. Even if it costs over a grand I'd like to see what's out there.

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have similar requirements and work in construction mostly too and I carry ZebraLights and have for a long time now.
These lights are fully rugged as I have learned first hand and also the most efficient and well regulated for the usually longest runtimes in the market while also being almost uniformly the smallest in each class too.

There is no USB recharging or Tail Switching but this has not been even a remote issue for me.
You can get 18650 batteries now that will USB charge directly and the single side switch and unique ZL interface for it allows for more versatile level options and control than anything else that I know of that is not a whole lot more expensive.

Possu

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the ZebraLight suggestion. I'm afraid that no tail switch is a dealbreaker for me. The one thing that has bugged me the most with nearly all of my flashlights has been the search for the sideswitch. I really enjoy using my cheapo penlight 'cause it has a tailswitch.

My own research has led me to SureFire EDCL2-T which has taken top spot for now. No USB charging, which I can live without, but I'm afraid the 5 lumen low mode is a bit too much for my liking. I will use it in camp situations where I'll need a nightlight that shoudn't wake up a roomful of people or everyone in a tent. Ideally the light should have a really low moonlight mode and at least one or two other brightness levels before the maximum brightness.

Please keep the suggestions coming gents!

Last edited:

Possu

Newly Enlightened
In the end I bought the SureFire EDCL2-T and some rechargeable cells. While it's not what I would like it has enough of the features I want. I can use it but the search for a better alternative continues. Thanks archimedes and AVService for your time and effort.

Last edited: