How do you know which ones

Status
Not open for further replies.

cbc atl

Newly Enlightened
How do you know which led will work? Is is something simple like any led will work or something complicated that takes years of experience to know?

I've watched several of your videos and seem to like them more than most because of the clarity of info and the details and you seem pretty cool in them. But I have read 10's of threads and 100's of posts here and then watched 10's of more mostly youtube videos and looked at all the referenced www's, and vendor sites and I'm still not really that much closer to the knowledge required to purchase anything much less start the repair work.

It seems simple enough, I have this old flashlight, very well made but older with an XR-E on a 16mm board that puts out about 160 lumens per their specs I don't know what driver it has but it does have the copper soldered to something and it has 3 modes high mid and flash, but it could be run from the switch. I want to upgrade the led but I don't want to learn this by trial and error and just see if a XHP70 for instance works if I just switch out the board.

And then the question continues so if I have to replace more than just the led, how do you know what else? For instance the flashlight is made for 2 ea cr123 a batteries. If I have to add or replace the driver how do you know which one will work with which led?

And then if I wanted to upgrade some more with 16340's and make it rechargeable what led's and driver's will work?

And then, do you even need a driver to make an led light up? - - - any help greatly appreciated - - -

So, I just wanted a little longer run time so I could see how to finish putting my car back together, the Atactical A1 had misfired a couple of time, you know, push the button and no light and then shake shake shake. So I grabbed the old Sightmark; never doesn't work, but does not last long. Ran it out of battery and none left around and I really need to get this thing back together so I can drive it to work tomorrow.

Easy solution right, just buy a new light? But that just wouldn't be right if I could just fix this one...

But I need to go to school and if you could help with the next class that would be great.

Thanks,
cbc

scout24

Flashaholic
Cbc- I approved your post and moved it here since even though you seem to reference watching (I assume) Adventure Sport's videos, I feel it's more appropriate here than in that subforum. I left a three day re-direct so you can find it... :) Good luck getting your answers, and welcome to CPF!

cbc atl

Newly Enlightened
Thank you scout24.

Can anyone let me know possible consequences of swapping out an old Cree XR-E with a XHP70 N4 3C in a Sightmark P4?

And can I use a couple of 16340's to power it for an hour or so?

Thanks,
cbc

cbc atl

Newly Enlightened
A couple of pics:
led:
view

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Il_UqISCJ8J9V_rdRqA4GAHdvPA2pjHA/view?usp=sharing
pill:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1A01LLnYBsvc_LVsX3cSA-NW3J8IFwhtB/view?usp=sharing
driver:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Aqt1I90f7_U-HFGMLeT1Ax8vflzQ1BnU/view?usp=sharing
endcap / switch:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Tqkpu1xm6hbSDd1Q9GT4659-AxD2mSD9/view?usp=sharing
flashlight:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QEh6NT16G_YOqePufdbYOhy8pS88Isik/view?usp=sharing

pc_light

Enlightened
Hello cbc_atl and welcome to CPF.

Your original post (OP) has a lot of details to unpack and it would be difficult for someone to address without making assumptions about your level of familiarity with the ins and outs of LED flashlights. It doesn't have to take years of experience but do take the time required to get familiar with some of the essentials so that you can get the most out of it.

One of the benefits of a forum such as CPF is the wealth of accumulated knowledge, much of which members have tried to capture in "sticky threads" created specifically for the purpose of helping members get acquainted with terminology and fundamentals to make jumping into the hobby less intimidating.

If you haven't already, many of the answers you seek might be found over at the The Basics of LED Drivers thread, or other Guide sticky threads that are quite helpful. Hopefully you can slog through enough to get the answers you seek.

In the meantime a couple of quick answers to your questions -

The two generations of emitters you're proposing to upgrade (XR-E to XHP70) vary in their operating voltages (3V versus 6/12V) and physical dimensions to the point that a simple swap of the emitters alone will not work. At the very least there will need to be an upgrade of the "driver" to match up the required voltages between the battery supply you propose and the LED being used.

An LED can light without a driver, provided one supplies the correct voltage/power but such an unregulated/uncontrolled circuit is not ideal from a safety and usabilty perspective. The sticky threads mentioned above will provide more details as to the function and benefits of using a driver and how to pick one from the myriad of choices available to best suit your needs.

If I were to venture a SWAG based on the slim details you've provided, what you're proposing is a XHP70 on 16mm configuration metal core printed circuit board (mcpcb) for which you will need a 15mm diameter (?, difficult to estimate from the photo, best to take actual measurements) buck type driver (for 6V mcpcb configuration) or boost (for 12v mcpcb) in order to run off of your desired 2x16340 batteries ((in series, which would be ~6-8.4V input supply.) My personal upgrade recommendation would be a 16mm XM-L2, with an appropriate 1+/- Amp output Buck driver. This should provide a nice bright light for the 1-hr rumtime you seek.

Good luck and have fun exploring the forum and repairing your light.

DIWdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with everything pc_light said except the LED recommendation.

While the XML2 would certainly work, it's getting a bit dated. The XPL can deliver significantly better efficacy (lumens per watt) at any drive level, at least up to 3A.

If you are concerned with the beam pattern, you should think about apparent die size. No matter the type of light source, the larger the surface of the source, the larger will be the hotspot you can create using optics. This is a fundamental limitation imposed by physics. Also, for any given optic (lens or reflector) a larger emitter tends to create a wider beam. In an extreme case like the XHP70 vs the XRE, you might even lose light that never makes it into the optic, much less out of the light.

I said apparent die size because the dome that's on many LEDs acts like a magnifier and makes the die 'look' bigger to the optic. That's why some people remove the dome, and also why the XPL is offered without one (as the XPL-HI).

cbc atl

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for help guys,

Appreciate your working on this one for me.

Last edited:

cbc atl

Newly Enlightened
After a little better measurement the mcpcb is 15 mm and the driver is closer to 17mm than 16mm.

pc_light

Enlightened
You might be able to find an LED pre-mounted on a 14mm mcpcb, more likely you'll need to file down a 16mm to fit.

17mm for driver is the sweet spot, lots of options in that size.

cbc atl

Newly Enlightened
So I decided to just buy a flashlight for less that I could modify this one. In all the posts that I read earlier I saw where several members had used Gearbest and decided to order from them
I won a prize at work and ordered 3 convoy S11's, 3 XTAR SC1 chargers and some Shockli batteries (I received the order with the batteries ok).

Not having the best experience with the lights and chargers ordered though, any recommendations:
This order is for the flashlights and chargers and order was placed April 8, 2019.
Item sub-total: 130.02
Shipping guarantee 9.32
Grand Total 139.34

They say they shipped 2 flashlights but I have received 1, and so far that is all that I have received on this order. And they have made be jump through a few hoops so far - see below. They want to give me a partial refund on the missing one.

Here is the communications back and forth so far:

... private eMails removed ...

Last edited by a moderator:

archimedes

Flashaholic
Last edited:

cbc atl

Newly Enlightened
I believe you are wrong. This is highly appropriate since now I wish I had just continued with my mod. If no one sees the trouble and understands what one may go through then how will they be able to make a logical decision on their next move?

You would not really want to take away the ability of us to share good information about what we go through on a day to day basis trying to mod a light or provide for ourselves the best alternatives.

Let's let this play out. I really would like some recommendations to my problems here and need users to read what I have gone through to this point so the best advice can be given.

Thanks,
Brad

This is not the appropriate location for this type of discussion.

If you are having issues with a vendor that you believe to merit a "Jeer" , please carefully review the additional rules of that subforum, prior to opening a thread there.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/announcement.php?f=143&a=24

Please also remove all private communications from your post above, and review CPF Rule 12.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/Rules.html

Thank you.

archimedes

Flashaholic
I believe you are wrong. This is highly appropriate since now I wish I had just continued with my mod. If no one sees the trouble and understands what one may go through then how will they be able to make a logical decision on their next move?

You would not really want to take away the ability of us to share good information about what we go through on a day to day basis trying to mod a light or provide for ourselves the best alternatives.

Let's let this play out. I really would like some recommendations to my problems here and need users to read what I have gone through to this point so the best advice can be given.

Thanks,
Brad

CPF has rules. Just about every forum on the internet has some kind of rules.

The moderators and administrators of CPF are around in order to keep order. Do not whine or complain about the rules.

If you can make your point clearly, concisely, without posting private communications, and according to CPF rules, then this thread can stay open.

Thank you for your understanding.

nbp

Flashaholic
Furthermore, you've changed the topic of the thread in the middle of it. If you're hoping for advice on your Gearbest situation, it's doubtful anyone will randomly come to a thread about LED footprints and driver specs to share their GB experience. I don't understand why you wouldn't want to start a new thread specifically for this new topic... anyways, Archimedes will certainly be able to help with any further questions you have regarding the Jeers subforum.

cbc atl

Newly Enlightened
I would think that making my case for free and open communication about my adventure with getting a flashlight that performs is not really complaining and I'm not whining about the stupid rules. I can work with them if you give me a chance, but I have put in hours on this site already trying to get a good light out of this.

And why start a new thread since my original post is still in play and seems to have been the best idea given what has occurred to date.

How much research did I do on this site before making the buying decision to go with Convoy and S11 and then seeing all the posts by Simon and the others. So man, I though I had a winner. Now maybe I do and will have if I can get the damn things, but maybe I have to mod the one I have. I am kind of vested in this now and the advice I seek is about the overall process.

What would you do if this happened. Would you call it quits on trying to get a new light that you have already paid for once or would you think that negotiating with this company is worth wile and I would actually be able to get a light from them. Would you go to Mountain and get the parts for 30 or 40 bucks and mod the old light or try to salvage something with GearBest?

Here is my problem and it occurred on April 24 and the first questions that came to mind:
I received only 1 flashlight today. 2 flashlights were supposed to be delivered with this tracking number. The one that I received is Black White Light 5000K.

I initially ordered 3 flashlights and 3 chargers and it seems that 1 flashlight and 3 chargers are not in stock. I will wait on these.

But 2 flashlights were supposed to be sent on tracking number: xyz; however, I only received 1 flashlight that was delivered today. Can you tell me if 2 were sent at the same time?

And then I thought to myself,
The package shows no sign of tampering; it was sealed well and I had to open it with scissors. I do not see a weight indicated. USPS will not let me file a claim. Here is their response: The tracking number is not eligible for filing a claim because insurance was not available or purchased for this article. And let's add some pictures in case someone wants to see them.

And someone who read that just may want to know what someone else thinks so they may just want to ask their gurus.

And they may take a couple of days and this goes on and on and there is the new year and then the gurus return with an answer.

And then due to the answer the issue just may have to be escalated and an answer just may come back something like this, if I were a betting man:

Let's offer half of his money back. How about since the item is not in stock now we give a credit for 13 dollars for that Convoy S11 that we say we sent but you say you never got but we know that you paid for?

Did I mention that there was a shipping guarantee of about 10 bucks on the order.

Would you rather have a S11, S2 or a modded Sightmark on the top of your AR?

Last edited:

Greta

Flashaholic
WOW! Eight posts and you already have three moderators involved and our rules are stupid! Good job! :twothumbs

I've always said if I know your username, it's not necessarily a good thing... think about that :ironic:

Thread closed. Please start another one in the correct forum and try to keep it on one topic. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.