Best 1xAA like Lumintop Tool AA 2.0 only with better clip and nicer LED

cpfnovo

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys -- thanks for helping out in another thread for my search for a great 1xAAA ( https://www.candlepowerforums.com/v...igure-out-what-EDC-to-buy-best-AAA-for-pocket ) -- so as I mentioned there, I might start a separate thread for a 1xAA as my EDC for days when I have larger pockets!

So the specs are best defined by comparing it to the Lumintop Tool AA 2.0 -- similar size, similar specs, similar cost (if possible), but would love to find one with a better clip (one that allows much deeper carry), and a nicer LED. The Lumintop is as close as I've come to 1xAA perfection for the price, but I am hoping something even better is out there.

A couple more preferred specs:

- Definitely need a tail mechanical clicky (as opposed to electronic switch)

- Would prefer forward-clicky instead of the current reverse-clicky on the Lumintop if possible

- Would prefer modes to go low -> mid -> high, hidden strobe if possible, but strobe is okay on a 1xAA, everything else considered

- Again, the clip is the highest priority... deep carry is very important, if possible

- Price preferably under $30 since things go missing around here all the time. But I would be willing to go higher if the specs are near perfect. Max $50.

Top 3 I already have (in order of preference):

1 - Lumintop Tool AA 2.0 - My current benchmark, almost perfect size for a 1xAA, but annoying clip position (not deep enough carry), and not great color temperature

2 - Thorfire TG06S - Very similar but slightly larger than Lumintop and has same problem of clip position

3 - Sofirn SF14 V2.0 - Also slightly larger than Lumintop with same problem of clip position -- also not quite as nice quality overall IMO -- feels good but "cheaper" for some reason, also not as bright

4 - I have some other 1xAA lights but they are all too large, only have one mode, comparatively low build quality, etc... not really in same class as the 3 above

On order:

5 - I just ordered the Factor Mizpah 160 to test - the clip looks pretty good in the pictures, and someone in another thread recommended Factor, so I'll give it a shot for 1xAA

Considering:

6 - Ultratac A1, but it looks super close to the first 3 in features, etc., plus same clip issue, not sure it really beats the first 3

7 - Eagletac D25a Clicky MKII - looks really nice, but is more expensive than I want for a flashlight that will easily disappear on me, plus it requires a twist to change mode sequence (not a fan of any twisting) - however, clip position looks perfect

8 - Xeno ES1 - looks nice, but maybe overpriced and older LED tech, plus same clip issues?

9 - Fenix E12 - size looks perfect - almost identical in size to Lumintop, but NO CLIP!?! And also low lumens, older LED tech - what's up with the lack of a clip?!?

10 - Streamlight 88061 ProTac 1L-1AA - looks very good, but not that bright on AA batteries and significantly larger than Lumintop, basically too big

11 - NiteCore MT1A - similar issues compared to ProTac

12 - Jaxman E3 - looks pretty nice... has high CRI option (excellent!), but thicker than Lumintop and has similar clip problem

Did I miss anything? I can't seem to find anything else close to the Lumintop, and the recurring theme of issues I'm finding is the same clip location (except for Eagletac D25a). Maybe my solution is to find a much better clip for the Lumintop? Or maybe there's a model I don't know about?

Thanks in advance for your help once again! Very glad I found this forum!

Nichia!

Banned
Best AA light ever is Zebralight SC5 (E Switch) but no High CRI option:(

2nd best for clicky tailcap and nice tint (nichia B) is the Egaletac d25a in Titanium

cpfnovo

Newly Enlightened
Best AA light ever is Zebralight SC5 (E Switch) but no High CRI option:(

2nd best for clicky tailcap and nice tint (nichia B) is the Egaletac d25a in Titanium

Thanks, Nichia! The Zebralight seems almost legendary from what I've read, apparently, but it's not tail-clicky unfortunately for me. Clip looks very good, better position than Lumintop.

The Eagletac keeps popping up for me. It's on the higher price side for my situation (of things going missing easily due to family taking off with them, or just me losing them), but otherwise might be almost perfect for me. The clip position looks great. I'm not a fan of the part-twist mode programming thing though, but maybe I can get used to it. Also, I can't seem to find it available in Titanium. I did find the D3A though, maybe that's the latest version?

Sos24

Enlightened
I did not see the Fenix LD12 mentioned. It is larger than a couple of the others and the strobe is not hidden, but it is a nice quality light.

The D25a is a really nice light, although it is a reverse clickie. The twisty is really only used if you want to set it to high and strobe only, which it doesn't sound like you would want. The rest of the mode switching is done through tail clickie.

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
Best AA light ever was ZL SC52w but discontinued for some reason.

SC53w or SC5IIw are worthwhile followers I suppose but as Nichia said has an E Switch but that allows for the best Interface in a light too but no tail switch.

Also more than you want to spend and a great clip but not as deep as some maybe.

Simply though probably the accepted series of best AA lights sold Today.

I also love the ET D25A Clicky but agree that the twisty head seems silly and requires 2 hands to use.

cpfnovo

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, @Sos24 and @AVService!

Looks like I'll have to buy at least one D25A (or the D3A Titanium, which seems like the replacement for the D25A Titanium). The downside is that the D25A Mk II and the D3A cost about 3x-4x what the Lumintop costs. Which will probably make me lose it 3x-4x as easily. :) But it seems like it's something I should add to my little collection to see how it compares for my usage patterns.

So basically, the consensus seems that for what I'm describing, if I want to move up from the Lumintop, I need to at least go to the Eagletac (which is a big compliment to the Lumintop IMO, considering the price difference). Zebralight also looks great, but I far prefer tail clicky config.

Now is there any better clip that is compatible with the Lumintop or is that a waste of my time? (I own several Lumintops so I might as well "upgrade" them if I can.) For example, the Microstream clip fits the Lumintop Tool AAA perfectly. Maybe a different Streamlight clip fits the Lumintop AA?

Thanks again guys!

Oh, and @Sos24, thank you, I missed the Fenix LD12, but it does look larger on paper, and also has the electronic mode button -- I'd rather stick with a pure tail clicky. And at that price, I might as well pick up the Eagletac, right?

cpfnovo

Newly Enlightened
Just ordered the Eagletac D25A Clicky MKII! Seems like there's no point in looking at the others on my list, except the Eagletac D3A Titanium, which I might order if I end up loving the D25A.

I also remembered the Lumintop Prince Mini AA, which looks a bit on the fancy side, but it does have a deep carry clip similar to the Eagletac design.

So we'll see if the Eagletac (and maybe the Prince Mini if I can find a good price) will be the answer.

Also still wondering if there's a better clip out there for the standard Lumintop Tool AA 2.0. I might order some Streamlight/Protac AA clips and try them out...

Thanks guys!

Sos24

Enlightened
Thanks, @Sos24 and @AVService!

Looks like I'll have to buy at least one D25A (or the D3A Titanium, which seems like the replacement for the D25A Titanium). The downside is that the D25A Mk II and the D3A cost about 3x-4x what the Lumintop costs. Which will probably make me lose it 3x-4x as easily. :) But it seems like it's something I should add to my little collection to see how it compares for my usage patterns.

So basically, the consensus seems that for what I'm describing, if I want to move up from the Lumintop, I need to at least go to the Eagletac (which is a big compliment to the Lumintop IMO, considering the price difference). Zebralight also looks great, but I far prefer tail clicky config.

Now is there any better clip that is compatible with the Lumintop or is that a waste of my time? (I own several Lumintops so I might as well "upgrade" them if I can.) For example, the Microstream clip fits the Lumintop Tool AAA perfectly. Maybe a different Streamlight clip fits the Lumintop AA?

Thanks again guys!

Oh, and @Sos24, thank you, I missed the Fenix LD12, but it does look larger on paper, and also has the electronic mode button -- I'd rather stick with a pure tail clicky. And at that price, I might as well pick up the Eagletac, right?

The LD12 is fairly large for a 1xAA light, but a good light so I thought I would mention it.

I hope you enjoy the D25A.

cpfnovo

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, @Sos24! I also just ordered some ProTac AA clips so we'll see if they fit the Lumintop! Excited!

I'm still new to this whole flashlight insanity, and I'm finding I use my EDC light more and more every day. Just reflexively used my EDC right now because I thought I heard a fox in the trash. Normally, I'd have to go dig around the house to find a flashlight wasting time or worse yet fumble with my iphone light and swear if I dropped it. This time I went outside, pulled out my EDC in one fell swoop like a ninja.

cpfnovo

Newly Enlightened
Quick update -- I also ordered the Fenix E12 since that is really close in size to the ideal size, good price, good reliability, and to resolve the clip problem, I've ordered the "Maglite Mini AA Flashlight Accessory Pack" which is confirmed to have a pocket clip that works for the E12. Cross fingers. And even though the lumen output on the E12 is pretty average by more recent standards, the flashlight still gets very high marks, so as long as I can solve the clip shortcoming, it's worth testing.

Last edited:

cpfnovo

Newly Enlightened
So here's my current contender list for 1xAA that meets my specs:

Currently own (but need better clips):

1 - Lumintop Tool AA 2.0

2 - Thorfire TG06S

3 - Sofirn SF14 V2.0

On order:

4 - Factor Mizpah 160

5 - Eagletac D25a Clicky MKII

6 - Fenix E12 with the clip from the "Maglite Mini AA Flashlight Accessory Pack" (will also try a Streamlight ProTac AA clip to see if that works)

Still considering:

7 - Lumintop Prince Mini AA (if I can find it for a good price)

8 - Eagletac D3A Titanium (if I can find it for a good price)

Nichia!

Banned
If I had to choose only one single AA light it would be the Zebralight SC5..

cpfnovo

Newly Enlightened
If I had to choose only one single AA light it would be the Zebralight SC5..

Thank you, definitely a beauty, and would be on my personal contender list except I need a tail clicky, and I think the diameter is a bit thick for my preferences. But definitely seems world class.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
Massdrop Vega AA is similar to the Lumintop Tool with the choice of a neutral LED available. It does have an electronic switch (tail) though and I do not know if it will lego with the Tool 2.0 where you could use the Tool's switch. The AAA aluminum Massdrop lights do lego with the aluminum AAA Tool so it MIGHT be possible with the AA. The clip is no better from what I can tell so you would still need to find an alternative clip. No experience with Massdrop's AA or the AA Tool either but I have been happy with the AAA Massdrop lights so far.

Last edited:

cpfnovo

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, @ZMZ67! Yeah, that Massdrop Vega looks good -- I just signed up for updates for flashlights... looks like I recently missed the Lumintop Prince Mini AA for $30! Dang. Looks like I also missed the ReyLight Pineapple Brass AA. That one has a clicky and a great looking clip... Who knew there were so many cool flashlights? Will read up on the Vega. Not a fan of electronic switches and has the same clip issue as the normal Lumintop, but otherwise very nice indeed. I also see they have a Titanium Lumintop AAA... Hmmmmmm. :)

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since you're not a fan of the Tool AA 2.0 clip, why don't you try modding it to fit on the tailcap? Might be the best cost-effective solution.

IMHO better than spending twice as much for the D25A.

Sipher3

Newly Enlightened
Like mentioned above keep your Lumitop tool 2.0, and look at other clip options. I have a Fenix LD11 with a Olight SA1 clip on it for deeper carry. I had a Fenix E12 with a Zebra clip that worked pretty well until I lost it.

Last edited:

cpfnovo

Newly Enlightened
@SCEMan and @Sipher3 -- thanks, guys! Yeah, I am planning on trying out some alternate clips on the Tool AA 2.0 -- I've got the Maglite and Streamlight clips on order, and was planning on trying them out on the E12 and the Tool AA 2.0 also. If there are any other good clips I can buy separately that I should try out, let me know! The Maglite clip is known to work on the E12, and that's about the same radius as the Tool AA 2.0, so it might work in both cases.

As for modding... that's a wild rabbit hole I don't want to explore much yet. I'm already in deep enough starting my AA and AAA flashlight collections and buying extra clips, etc., any more than that then I might be lost in the Flashlight Matrix for good. :eek:

However, the most "modding" I'm willing to do at this point would be to use epoxy or super glue to attach one of these clips on the tail of the Lumintop, for example. Any suggestions of the best epoxy or super glue for the job?

@SCEMan, yes, the Eagletac stuff is obviously costly compared to the Lumintop, but as I'm starting out in this flashlight adventure, I don't mind buying one of the "nicer" flashlights so I can learn what the baseline for "great flashlight" actually is, as a point of reference for everything else. Will it really be 3x-4x as good as a Lumintop Tool AA? I have no idea. So it's worth it right now just to see what its value really is to me, personally. I suspect that sticking with the Lumintops will be more than enough for me, but who knows? Some folks keep raving about the Eagletac. Maybe the D25A is actually magical? Can't know until I try it out.

But at least for now, I think I have my personal "contenders" list. Once they all show up, I'll do my testing/rotation and see which one makes the most sense for me... cost included as a factor.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, @ZMZ67! Yeah, that Massdrop Vega looks good -- I just signed up for updates for flashlights... looks like I recently missed the Lumintop Prince Mini AA for $30! Dang. Looks like I also missed the ReyLight Pineapple Brass AA. That one has a clicky and a great looking clip... Who knew there were so many cool flashlights? Will read up on the Vega. Not a fan of electronic switches and has the same clip issue as the normal Lumintop, but otherwise very nice indeed. I also see they have a Titanium Lumintop AAA... Hmmmmmm. :)

Reading the reviews on the Massdrop AA it doesn't seem like the switch from a AA Tool will lego but I don't know for sure. The Titanium Tool AAA has an electronic switch,not a mechanical clicky. All the Massdrop AAA lights use the electronic switch as well just to let you know. I like the electronic switch so far on the Massdrop AAA lights but I don't know about their long term reliability.Fortunately the clicky from my AAA Tool will lego so I have a back-up.

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
@SCEMan, yes, the Eagletac stuff is obviously costly compared to the Lumintop, but as I'm starting out in this flashlight adventure, I don't mind buying one of the "nicer" flashlights so I can learn what the baseline for "great flashlight" actually is, as a point of reference for everything else. Will it really be 3x-4x as good as a Lumintop Tool AA? I have no idea. So it's worth it right now just to see what its value really is to me, personally. I suspect that sticking with the Lumintops will be more than enough for me, but who knows? Some folks keep raving about the Eagletac. Maybe the D25A is actually magical? Can't know until I try it out.

Understood. Best of luck on your new hobby, we all started down this road much like you.
Enjoy the "ride" :)