Festival medic head torch recommendations

Aussiechip

Newly Enlightened
Hi folks,

I'm really not up with the latest on headlamp tech, but I help run a festival medical crew and we are looking to pick up some new torches for them.

We have previously used the Fenix HP-11s which we liked for the flip down diffuser, but they have disappeared over the years and the few that remain have developed faults, particularly with the tilt clutch.

Does anyone have any recommendations? We need to be able to locate patients in the dark, so we need some good tight throw, but we also need to be able to work close with some flood, without blinding each other. CRI is really important to be able to do things like fit IV lines and properly assess injuries.

Any thoughts from the current crop? We'd like to be staying under about USD $70-$80, as we will be buying these in Australia. Locally available would be REALLY preferable, but mostly I need some advice on what's around at the moment. I'm currently trying to organise all the other physicals like a roof and some transport facilities. Torches suddenly came up in a "hey what about..." discussion!

TIA!

guthrie

Newly Enlightened
I've become a bit of a tint snob over the years, and got a Thrunite TH20 a year ago. It's not perfect and I don't think it sold as high CRI, but the neutral white is pretty good. It is quite floody though, but you can boost it up to turbo with a couple of clicks. It runs on one AA battery, for ages too, and you can adjust the brightness to suit by pressing the button down, so it can be made to fit what the user wants.

Nichia!

Banned
Hi there and welcome to CPF:)

A high CRI headlamp is a MUST for Medical uses..

U need a headlamp with nichia 219B led for that purpose..

Not many lights made with that led and I can't recommend U low quality headlamp..

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
nichia is not exclusive on high cri, there are other hi cri leds available, nichia 219c has 92 cri, xpl2 ezwhite cri 93-95

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wouldn't hesitate to use my TH20 for EMS work if it was called for. I've never used a headlamp at work, although I work urban/suburban EMS. Some of the guys will clip a handheld light through their epaulets. I typically carry a Solarforce Z1 due to its relative small size and light weight but I would switch to one of my Nichia lights if I used it for much patient assessment.

I think the Manker E03H is available with a nichia for under $35USD. Can't vouch for it, though.