New truck light to replace Maglite 3D.

lugueto

Newly Enlightened
Hello, long time lurker here.

I recently gave away the Maglite 3D LED I've had in the truck for the past 10 years, it was looking a little worse for wear but worked great. I'm now looking for a replacement and i'm finding myself a little dissapointed by the lack of actual options similar to the Maglite, so I turn to you guys to give me a hand and see if there's a suitable replacement other than another Maglite.

I believe the Maglite, in all its simplicity, is a hell of a tool. Its rugged, lasts for years, and can be used as a baton if needed. However I refuse to believe that the only logical replacement to a Maglite is another Maglite and although I'd be happy with one of the new offerings, maybe I can get something better.

Here are the basic requirements:

Similar footprint as the Maglite, as to use the same location and similar mounting hardware.
Multiple outputs preferred, high power for when needed. Two outputs would be ideal
Flood would be better than spot beams, but either would work.
Replaceable batteries would be preferred. I'd rather have 18650s vs an integrated battery. I need something that can hold a charge a long time, so as to not having to constantly worry if the light is charged. Also I've found integral batteries usually mean shorter lifespan.

I tried finding a replacement using Surefire, as I'm a fan of their lights, but they're either too techy or incredibly expensive. I own a few G2X Pros and they'd make swell truck lights if not for their size. I'd like something larger. I wan't something reasonably simple and rugged, not something overly complicated or technological.

So, what would you recommend?

Thanks!!

Luis

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maglite.
If its not broken why fix it?

Was your last one an LED?

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Streamlight protac 4. Just got one. Very similar to 2d mag in size. 2200 lumens. Or 60 if you need. 4X123 or 2X18650

lugueto

Newly Enlightened
Maglite.
If its not broken why fix it?

Was your last one an LED?

Well this is partially true. My previous Maglite was one of the first generation LEDs. It was sufficiently powerful, but the lack of a dimmer option made working on the truck a little bothersome. I learned yesterday that the ML300L and LX have multiple modes, and that takes it a little further.

I wonder what runtimes are like using Eneloops with D adapters?

Streamlight protac 4. Just got one. Very similar to 2d mag in size. 2200 lumens. Or 60 if you need. 4X123 or 2X18650

I was looking at the Ultrastinger, but what keeps me away is the proprietary battery. Too bad you can't have a backup for it like 2x18650s..

I'm liking the Protac HL 5, which I understand is the successor to the Protac 4. Looks awesome, low mode of 250 lumens is a little too much but for the price I believe its a solid contender.

How's the durability on Streamlights? They've proven to be really solid?

Has anyone tried the Nitecore MH41? or the MT40GTR?

Poppy

Flashaholic
You can get another maglite, and power it with a spacer and an 18650, or 26650 wrapped in plastic and still have the various advantages of a large light.

Here is a photo of a 3 C cell light I keep in my car with an adapter/spacer, I made with a bolt, and dowel for a spacer.
dC7ZCF_JZFQIi8rl3Ne7jE5L6Z6VBE-9Xst4TbB25pmKToMtDY9tslTOJE56vaMkLRIENOWDTcqdnDT4lQqXIDh78GFU9EX0mUAQmVeemzoq0u8CtXflFRKCWWNPj2ftPBJTPWPqRwWdCcA7flKbVd56XxBNEch6AhSTxodwOr9AEK7LEBd9zXLriQwIyJHRRV5Oexh-MhgjAquI2IJvKTLDxlxiY1umpVgFWTE-8eIVeejnr_UqicXZmK7T05DZP09lmUWXGSparFiUO-wun_bQoQ_MgksvQzUeM48YTAypTKVzBw08pwrtr8KE-vHncvZQQcnfFzwMnkClNTXxclvS4KDqWERAX7McRQG7_3qG3xM2ac9jkt0OCBACiAi8zKi5T1VQm5cRBuDw-VUFd11j4G5B9bGRl6zc5GVX-Ym7bCcGEGs8OD2zQdLCu04I-GsmdTLiWQRroD4uojAqQ2ty6vm85DuxCmq4wd6-xoKvY2ZI7XPi-0cCJt9aeY51lqBDLnBIyszfos9K8MhTKOVi1waZ5qxplU3wI_ejct4H-F59dbw8D762fVba1UMfXrTMMBED0r_Yvi1C8CGwAQuYGR0hKld7JaZ-wED680O7OSQAu296FgC_whN2WnbUcSY4Jkj2v74VfIDEPgvSEEy3bHn1t1zK5BHzJYZrT2mlM204tYa4n1TsPAr5-PK-MJ0upYvCRqXGfztxX0c_j9xA=w1600-h707-no

But easier than that would be to get a set of Tenergy D cells and put them in.
Recharge them now and then as needed.

FYI, IIRC an alkaline D cell has a similar capacity to a 18650 at less than 100ma draw. SO with a single 18650, or for that matter a single 26650, you won't get the same advertised run-time. On LiIon however it will run at a higher output until the battery is dead.

With the Tenergy's you'll also get a more steady output at a higher level than you will for alkalines. When the LiIons are near dead, they drop off rapidly. Whereas with the alkalines, they initially drop off rapidly, and then hang in there for a good long time at a decreasingly lower output.

There is a comparison in the lantern section of the Tenergy cells to alkaline cells by martinae. IIRC it was with a Siege lantern.

Last edited:

maglite mike

Enlightened
I'd recommend a Maglite 300 LX or the new Maglite rechargable ML150LR. They both Basically fit your needs to a T

lugueto

Newly Enlightened
Ok, so I've narrowed down a few options:

1) Maglite ML300LX. I like it. It is the cheapest at around 45$, but I have to buy Rechargeable D Batteries and a suitable charger (mine doesn't work with D cells). So around 80$ total. IT has the least output, but Maglite quality and run times make up for that.

2) Streamlight Protac x5 HL. This looks like the best option so far at around 105$. Batteries included, I also have 18650s at home. Capable of running 123a's, which I also have readily available. It has the highest output and a bunch of modes available.

3) Nitecore MH41. Multi battery capable, 18650 & 123a. Most expensive, is it worth the cost Vs. the Protac 5? Looks very good also.

Can't seem to find a suitable option on Surefire or Fenix. Is there anything else I should be looking at?

Thanks!

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
there is prbly nothing that fits your criteria besides a newer mag lite,

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, so I've narrowed down a few options:

1) Maglite ML300LX. I like it. It is the cheapest at around 45$, but I have to buy Rechargeable D Batteries and a suitable charger (mine doesn't work with D cells). So around 80$ total. IT has the least output, but Maglite quality and run times make up for that.

2) Streamlight Protac x5 HL. This looks like the best option so far at around 105$. Batteries included, I also have 18650s at home. Capable of running 123a's, which I also have readily available. It has the highest output and a bunch of modes available.

3) Nitecore MH41. Multi battery capable, 18650 & 123a. Most expensive, is it worth the cost Vs. the Protac 5? Looks very good also.

Can't seem to find a suitable option on Surefire or Fenix. Is there anything else I should be looking at?

Thanks!

Will you be using this light enough to really justify rechargeables? I ask because rechargeable cells will have their life span shortened if you store them in a hot vehicle in the summer months. If rechargeable is not a requirement, than energizer lithium AA's or CR123's are the way to go - they are also much better in cold temperatures.

If you do need something rechargeable, I would suggest the ML300LX with quality low self discharge NiMH's or something like the ML150, LED Mag Charger or Streamlight Ultra Stinger, these last 3 can be left in their charging cradles so that the are always charged and ready to go. I would tend to avoid 18650's for this application because NiMH's and LiFEPo4 chemistries are safer.

Possu

Newly Enlightened
I've got a Maglite ML300LX. It's true the output doesn't look like much on paper, but IMO in the real world it's way better than many higher output lights.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
depends what you use it for, i have 6d in my car, with terralux 700lm module, i still have first gen, with xr-e, narrow beam.
it is great at looking at things from a distance. but if i have to work under the hood, or under the car, or even change a tire, it is not the light i use, the beam is too narrow, the light is too big, for that i have a headlamp.

lugueto

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replies!

Yes, it looks like a new Maglite would be a sound, dependable replacement.

Will you be using this light enough to really justify rechargeables? I ask because rechargeable cells will have their life span shortened if you store them in a hot vehicle in the summer months. If rechargeable is not a requirement, than energizer lithium AA's or CR123's are the way to go - they are also much better in cold temperatures.

If you do need something rechargeable, I would suggest the ML300LX with quality low self discharge NiMH's or something like the ML150, LED Mag Charger or Streamlight Ultra Stinger, these last 3 can be left in their charging cradles so that the are always charged and ready to go. I would tend to avoid 18650's for this application because NiMH's and LiFEPo4 chemistries are safer.

The light will be used on a daily basis i'm sure. My vehicle is a daily driver as well as a travel rig. Roads are dark as hell. I need a light I can work with under the hood, search for something on the sides of the road and ocasionally use for camping and around the house if the need arises. We're having a bad time with power outages, which will give the light much more use.

Rechargeable, replaceable cells are a requirement. The ability to use both rechargeable and disposable batteries is best, off course.

Power outages are the reason I need to replace my Maglite. I gave it to a security officer at my mother's housing complex. He didn't even have a candle to do his rounds or even see a vehicle or person entering. I have a few lights at home so I figured he'd use the good old Maglite for a better purpose than I would.

depends what you use it for, i have 6d in my car, with terralux 700lm module, i still have first gen, with xr-e, narrow beam.
it is great at looking at things from a distance. but if i have to work under the hood, or under the car, or even change a tire, it is not the light i use, the beam is too narrow, the light is too big, for that i have a headlamp.

That's what's keeping me on the fence on the Protac 5. Size. For working under the hood or under the vehicle, a slightly smaller, thinner light would help a lot. Also, more power to see further when searching the sides of the road will be appreciated.

I will be making a decision today. I guess the final contenders will be the ML300LX w/ rechargeable D Cells Vs. the Protac 5.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would go with the ML300LX, but I would also suggest getting a headlamp and/or a 2AAA Mini Mag LED for close up/ under the hood and tire changes and the like.

GoVegan

Enlightened
I'll recommend the same as I just did here:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/v...e-Please-help-me-find-a-quot-truck-light-quot
The biggest risk in truck flashlights are dead batteries when you need to use your light, also alkaline batteries can leak especially in temperature variations, so stick with CR123 cells for vehicle lights.

-----
I'd recommend a SureFire G2X Pro, (low/high), low 15 lumens for general usage, 600 lumens for when needed. Tailcap locks out to ensure no accidental activations, nothing beats CR123 batteries for hot/cold weather variations. 10 year shelf live is a major factor too. Polymer body for usage in the cold.

I was going to also recommend the MagTac rechargeable light too, especially if you plan on using the truck light often as it is something you leave connected recharging all the time, non-crenulated bezel has high and low modes... however looks like it has been discontinued possibly... so maybe a Streamlight Strion (edit: or a Stinger for a larger format) if it is going to see regular use.

Also no vehicle should be without a headlamp, Petzl eLite, 10 year shelf life with it's lithium cells.

lugueto

Newly Enlightened
Ok So I purchased the Streamlight Protac HL5X.

Thank you all for your input, it was a hard thought idea. Ultimately, I'd rather use CR123A's both rechargeable and disposable, as well as the provided 18650s (plus I have more) to use with the light.

I have a few headlamps, all of them Petzl. I only carry them while camping, but that's more often than you'd think.

Also, I have two Surefire G2X Pros of the previous, 300 lumen variety. One is my EDC, always on my backpack. The other is my bedside flashlight. Both are taken camping also. They're my favorite lights. Simple, rugged and sufficiently powerful. Its a shame Surefire doesn't make a larger version of the G2X. Or that they stopped making the double output fury.

ninemm

Flashlight Enthusiast
My buddy has one of the dual output Fury lights. It's so nice...always have to use up some of his battery life playing with it when I stop by. Weird that they don't make them that way any longer. Hope that the Protac HL5X works out well for you!

lugueto

Newly Enlightened
Just for closure:

I've had the Protac 5 for a few days now. I am impressed. It is much heftier than I anticipated, might be as hefty as a Maglite 2D, I wouldn't mind using this as a club. Specially with the glassbreaker pommel. Build quality is superb, output is a little bright on the low setting for close up work, but I will very likely have another light on me for such work. Medium and high settings are incredible, very well suited for searching. USB Rechargeable batteries are awesome as well. Very happy with the light.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I bought the 4 when it first came out and really liked it. But was really glad to see Streamlight go to a dual switch for the 5 as using the tail switch with that heavy front gets taxing after a while.

Never have gotten around to buying a 5, but if it uses the same frosted optic, that is one super duper bright light that disperses the photons very well while keeping lots of throw.

Last edited: