light opinions for 3 month cabin/hiking trip

Blglov

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys. I'm going on a 3 month cabin/camping trip, I have 13 lights total and I'm trying to only take 6. I might have to take 7 but I'm just worried about taking 30 -18650s with 6 -26650s and The big 7" flashlights that push the border of too big to take on a plane. If you guys want to pick which lights out of all the ones I have then that would be awesome to hear other people's opinions for which ones they wouldn't take

- Here's the list

1) Fenix TK35ue (1800lumens) 2) Fenix TK51 3) Fenix TK75 (2900lumens) 4) jetbeam SRA40 5) Olight Mini Intimidator (2800 lumen) 6) Olight R50 pro seeker LE 7) Olight x7 marauder 8) Olight m2t warrior 9) Sunwayman d40a 10) Thrunite TC20 11) Thrunite TN35 mini 12) Thrunite TN40S 13) Thrunite V6 catapult.
. Thanks -blglov.

HorizontalHunter

Enlightened
Hey guys. I'm going on a 3 month cabin/camping trip, I have 13 lights total and I'm trying to only take 6. I might have to take 7 but I'm just worried about taking 30 -18650s with 6 -26650s and The big 7" flashlights that push the border of too big to take on a plane. If you guys want to pick which lights out of all the ones I have then that would be awesome to hear other people's opinions for which ones they wouldn't take

- Here's the list

1) Fenix TK35ue (1800lumens) 2) Fenix TK51 3) Fenix TK75 (2900lumens) 4) jetbeam SRA40 5) Olight Mini Intimidator (2800 lumen) 6) Olight R50 pro seeker LE 7) Olight x7 marauder 8) Olight m2t warrior 9) Sunwayman d40a 10) Thrunite TC20 11) Thrunite TN35 mini 12) Thrunite TN40S 13) Thrunite V6 catapult.
. Thanks -blglov.

FWIW:

I would make my selections with with the following in mind:

1. All lights use the the same battery type so I am only carrying one style of battery.
2. Instead of carrying a bunch of batteries I would carry a solar panel and a single bay USB battery charger.

Bob

Paul6ppca

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes
I agree withBob plus. If it really dark you won't really need 2000 plus limes!
I would consider headlights and good runtimes at sub 100 lumens.
30 lumens in pitch dark seems like the sun is out [emoji41]

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
What are you doing which requires that much light? First I would need to know what's going on in terms of tasks etc etc.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Carry a couple of cannons and a couple of bb guns.

Pitch black nights light up real easy with a couple dozen lumens. Fuel sippers are a must. That and a couple of your best throwers should do the trick.

Last edited:

Poppy

Flashaholic
LOL... I'd guess that you didn't get the responses you were looking for.

I agree with the general trend. Generally when camping... smaller is better. Therefore I would say that pretty much any one of your big lights should be good. And that it should be coupled with a single 18650 light like a Thrunite TN12, Fenix PD35, Convoy S2+, and a headlamp of your choice. Also a little AA or AAA backup light to always have in your pocket.

Considering that you are considering bringing so many pounds of lights and batteries, I imagine that you are driving to the cabin. Will the car/truck remain so that it can be used as a power source? Will the cabin have electricity? If either is the case, then a small charger, and fewer batteries is how I would probably roll.

euroken

Flashlight Enthusiast
Regardless of lumens (don't seem you'll need too much based on what others are saying), I would worry about keeping those Li-ions charged (protected, unprotected?). If you run the batteries too low and leave'em in that state, you might irreparably ruin them. Just a thought.

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Didn't bother to search each of your models, just hope you have a headlamp in there somewhere they are indispensable on hikes and camping.

AMD64Blondie

Flashlight Enthusiast
A good headlamp is amazing to have.

(Even for non-challenging things like my walk to work.)

Being able to have your hands free is wonderful,verus having to hold a normal flashlight.

And this is even with a far brighter handheld light..(1000+ lumen turbo Zebralight SC64W,and my 1000 lumen on turbo Olight S1R II).

The headlight I'm comparing them to is my 350-lumen Black Diamond Storm.

GoVegan

Enlightened
As others have stated, for the love of lumens take a headlamp man. I personally recommend Petzl with white and red LEDs. Headlamps are that critical for day to day tasks in low light that I'd also recommend taking a backup headlamp (the tiny Petzl eLite is a long time classic and has served me well, IPX8 and can be used underwater, even used by Navy SEAL teams too).

I know for hiking if I could only take two lights, they will always be a primary and backup headlamp, although I usually will have my pocket EDC light and a small keychain light on my keys too. I'm a tough fit guy and can carry heavy packs further and for longer than most but for pretty much for any trip, and in any environment I'd never take anything more than that, otherwise it would be dead weight to me. I have the philosophy of only taking what it necessary for the mission/trip, so would leave all the big heavy lights at home.

Maybe not the answer you are looking for but I'd like to think the most logical one.

BTW IMO all the light you listed are way too big for any trip anywhere.

LetThereBeLight!

Enlightened
I would take the Waka Waka Power: a solar-powered/rechargeable compact light that can also charge your phone.

Blglov

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys haven't been on, thank you for all the responses. I was thinking maybe my Thrunite Tn40, Thrunite catapult V6 just for the good throw for the size of the catapult. Then I was thinking the Olight r50 pro seeker LE for a good flood and also my x7 marauder. And my Olight mt2 warrior for the single 18650. Every few days or so I should have access to electricity in the cabin, so I'll bring my 4 bay charger along. Maybe just enough batteries for a few days. I won't need a blast of lumens all the time. But illl mostly be exploring and just wandering through the woods and fields. I was going to take 5 lights total now. I have eight 26,650 Orbtronic's so I was going to bring all of those and a backup set for each light that runs off 18650s. It would be handy to have a couple head lamps, but unfortunately I didn't get one. I leave on Monday at 3am. I might run by Walmart or Home Depot and pick up an energizer headlamp. The one with the focus beam is actually decent. Thanks for the all the input