Computer hardware problems

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
This month I bought an NEC ND-2500A 8X all in one DVD burner (+ and -). I connected it to my computer (it is an eide internal drive), turned the power on, and:

No Video signal
No Post Beep
No Post
No Boot

Needless to say I was /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif and merrily /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rant.gif away!

Anyways, I had a friend of mine bring over a computer system (IBM Aptiva), which he uses to test hardware. We hooked up the DVD burner in the Aptiva and it had NO problems with the DVD burner.

This narrowed the problem source down to either my motherboard and/or my Video Card.

Chaintech 7VJL Deluxe Apogee motherboard
ATI XPert 2000 Pro AGP video card

This morning I okayed getting both a new video card and motherboard to figure out where the problem is. I need both anyways for my secondary system. The video card is an NVidia and the motherboard is a Gigabyte.

Now I am about to swap video cards on the chaintech mobo and connect the DVD burner to see what happens for bootup. Even if this works, I have to swap thing back to get Linux drivers and installation information for Linux. then the fun of compiling after re-installing linux. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

If not, then I will have to do a complete swap and may be off linux until I am confident enough to do a kernel patch for the nforce2 chipset and the video driver installation and compiling.

See everyone back here soon. (I hope!)

PS: I will update with results of the first test before going any further. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Update:

The source of the problem is the Chaintech 7VJL Deluxe Apogee motherboard.

Now I get to do a mobo swap. Might as well use the new NVidia GeForce4 MX440-SE Dual VGA. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

So, the NEC ND-2500A DVD burner and the above motherboard is a no go.

My new mobo is a Gigabyte nforce2 socket A. Dual 'fun' in linux.

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Update Again:

Well, I am back online in Linux. Finally!

I am a Gigabyte GA-7N400-L K7 Triton with the Nforce2 chipset. All I had to do for the moment was install the mandrake 9.1 rpm package for my stock kernel. This is the binary RPM provided by NVidia.

However, I am using my ATI card, since win98se had a problem with the GeForce dual vga and one of my printer's files (out of memory with 768 MB ram).

Kernel 2.6.x is supposed to have native nforce2 support.

Oh, I do have my NEC DVD burner installed. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

That GeForce card will probably work fine with Win XP Pro. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif (no out of memory errors)