Charger suggestion for 18650 and larger

Melvang

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys. I am looking to modify a Streamlight headlamp to a magnetic base and use larger cells for longer run time. I currently use 18650 cells in my vape and am planning on getting a Polytac X and the Streamlight 18650 cell headlamp to keep as a headlamp.

So, I am looking for suggestions for a charger that can do 18650 cells and some larger cells. I don't foresee needing to charge more than 2 of the larger cells and 2 18650 cells at the same time. The charger will be at work inside my metal tool box.

Thank you for any suggestions.

LED Monkey

Enlightened
I would check out some Xtar chargers, they have some pretty good chargers that have had an overall good rep here and by most standards, not perfect but who does. When you say 18650 and larger do you mean longer than 65mm or wider cells like a 26650 which is still 65mm? because some chargers can't accept the longer cell that are 70/71mm in length but most models should say in their specs the max length each model can accept. I find the vendor "ILLUMN" to have a good selection of chargers at good prices with prompt shipping too.
My 2 cents.

Melvang

Newly Enlightened
I would check out some Xtar chargers, they have some pretty good chargers that have had an overall good rep here and by most standards, not perfect but who does. When you say 18650 and larger do you mean longer than 65mm or wider cells like a 26650 which is still 65mm? because some chargers can't accept the longer cell that are 70/71mm in length but most models should say in their specs the max length each model can accept. I find the vendor "ILLUMN" to have a good selection of chargers at good prices with prompt shipping too.
My 2 cents.

Thanks for the suggestion, I will look into those. What specific features should I be looking for. Right now I have an Efest Pro C4 that I got from my local vape shop for the 18650 cells I use in my vape. For my vape, I am using LG HG2 3000 mah cells. For the larger cells, right now, I am not worried about going larger diameter or longer. Just something with more capacity than 18650s. I am going to be modifying a 2x123A cell headlamp into a magnetic work light. So overall capacity is what I am ultimately looking for as I have a bad habit of forgetting to turn it off when I leave the area for breaks. As far as going with 26650 or something more like a 21700 I am pretty agnostic. That was going to be my next thread. I would prefer whichever will be easier/cheaper to find high capacity quality cells. I still have to build the enclosure, acquire the headlamp to tear down, battery tray, etc.

LED Monkey

Enlightened
18650 cells are topping out around 3500~3600 mah and lower capacity cells are available with a higher discharge rate like imr chemistry lion. If you're looking for a cell with higher capacity than that you're going to need a cell that is physically bigger which will be something like a 26650 or 20700/71mm . Some chargers will not accept the longer cells or they can if they're "unprotected" so if you think you might go with more capacity than what an 18650 cell will offer @ around 3600mah just make sure the charger you choose can accept a bigger/longer cell. I think you should be able to get what you need for as little as $20 bucks but I don't know what your budget is.

LED Monkey

Enlightened
And just a side note, don't use lower rated discharge cells with high capacity in your vape devices. You can damage the cells or worse some cell could catch fire or explode. Or at least trip the protection circuit if they are protected cells

Last edited:

Melvang

Newly Enlightened
And just a side note, don't use lower rated discharge cells with high capacity in your vape devices. You can damage the cells or worse some cell could catch fire or explode. Or at least trip the protection circuit if they are protected cells

Not totally sure what my vape device cells are rated for on discharge rate, but I got them from a reputable vape shop locally. They are 3000 mah LG HG2 cells. If I chain vape for a bit at 100 Watts, they might get a little warm to the touch, but nothing to worry about. I don't use mechanical mods, only regulated devices.

I was looking at one of the Xtar chargers, I think the VP4 and am pretty sure the manufacturers website states it could do 32650 on the outer 2 slots with 18650s in the middle two. This sounds like a great setup for what I am wanting to do.

Any idea what sort of capacities I could find on that side range?