Fenix Outfitters        
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Titanium Two ... Electric Torch-a-roo

Default Re: Titanium Two ... Electric Torch-a-roo

Quote Originally Posted by Modernflame View Post
    Details! What emitters did you choose? Thanks for the photo!
    Brass is NB35, Bronze is NB40, Ti is NB45

Quote Originally Posted by doctordun View Post
    Is it wrong to sleep with my new Titanium HDS?
    Will I be the only one who carries their new Titanium HDS
    I started carrying mine already. Can't imagine I'll damage it or care about any little scratches it could get from pocket carry.

Quote Originally Posted by Modernflame View Post
    @emarkd. You can tell a lot about a person based on whether their HDS rotary is photographed with the dial on maximum or minimum. You are conservative and thoughtful. Johnnyh is a risk taker.
    LOL! But you might be right...I just got back from a ride on my Harley with the light in my front pocket...could have damaged it if I dumped the bike!
    I only fear that if something happens to me, my wife will sell all my stuff for what I told her I paid for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnyh View Post
    LOL! But you might be right...I just got back from a ride on my Harley with the light in my front pocket...could have damaged it if I dumped the bike!
    Ha! I'm here all week, folks. Be sure to tip your waitress. Had Johnny pegged.

Cheers,
    May it be a light to you in dark places, when all other lights go out.
    J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

For those of you with inquiring minds my lights weigh, with the appropriate batteries: Rotary with 18650 Tube - 139.2grams, Rotary with 123 Tube - 103.5grams, TI Rotary with 123 Tube - 139.2grams.
    Clickies were the same at their rotary counterpart.

Two questions:
    Is it wrong to sleep with my new Titanium HDS?
    Will I be the only one who carries their new Titanium HDS?
    I'm being faithful and only sleeping with my Bronze 21 in my hand.
    When my Titanium 22 showed up today I put an RCR in and dropped it in my pocket.
    Marduke - Solitaire...I've seen matches which are brighter AND have a longer runtime. 光陰矢の如し

LOL. Im sleeping with my right hand tenderly wrapped around Brass 14. Wonder what I will do when the Ti enters the scene. Use my left hand to fondle it? Will it be jealous?

"Sleeping" is fine, more is, well, questionable. Helluva light!Received mine in an undamaged (!!) box, the HDS unharmed! Great news to say the least.

The 325 with great throw, nice beam but, unlike sledhead, I'm not NEEDING an 18650 body---not that it wouldn't be great but, any "staying" power more than a 123 and/or length than my....errrr, THUMB would scare those about me! Yikes!!!

Karl

Another "duh"---325 Ti primary only or, ...?

Karl

Been in my pocket since Friday afternoon. Beamed some deer family with it last night, they gave me some freaky shiny stink eye. SW45, sapphire, flush. Loving it so far.

Man those Ti's are beautiful! unfortunately mine haven't shipped yet...can't wait till it arrives

I ordered my ti with SW45 and one with high noon but the high noon has already been spoken for.

My Al-bronze is SN4 sw35 (already sold sn17 sw40)
    My Naval brass is SN 10 sw40; will be SN11 depending on what happens with the SW35 I have listed. For some reason I opted for one with sapphire and one with clear.

Can't wait till I can post a family portrait to share here (although my quality won't be as good as some of the greats here)

I'll just be happy when you all have them in your hands. It's been a long and stressful run.
    Thor's Hammer Custom Leather Please do not post or PM me requests for HDS Systems, Inc. Those need to be emailed directly to HDS. Posted or private messaged special requests will be summarily denied.

I can only imagine. the whole process was stressful on all of us. but I'm sure your end was almost unbearable.

The only one I am waiting on is the titanium which I imagine is planned to ship soon. I know you already started shipping some this past week.

For the remaining Ti lights that will sell on april 29th, are they already built and assembled or can you still choose the emitter of your choice and flush or raised tailcap? How did the threads turn out in the Ti, are they smooth?

Quote Originally Posted by LuxTacGear View Post
    How did the threads turn out in the Ti, are they smooth?
    Pretty smooth and feel like they'll be even better after having been used for a while. None of the horrible grittiness that we've experienced in so many titanium lights in the past. Not as smooth as my Haiku...yet, but then even it wasn't as smooth as it is now when I first got it.
    Marduke - Solitaire...I've seen matches which are brighter AND have a longer runtime. 光陰矢の如し

Quote Originally Posted by kaichu dento View Post
    Pretty smooth and feel like they'll be even better after having been used for a while. None of the horrible grittiness that we've experienced in so many titanium lights in the past. Not as smooth as my Haiku...yet, but then even it wasn't as smooth as it is now when I first got it.
    Thank you, that sounds promising, looking forward to get one

For the remaining Ti lights that will sell on april 29th, are they already built and assembled or can you still choose the emitter of your choice and flush or raised tailcap? How did the threads turn out in the Ti, are they smooth?
    If you go to the HDS Systems Custom Page you will see that you can configure it how you like. You can pick any emitter on the page.

I would then suggest you click "unique configuration link" at the bottom of the page, and bookmark that. This will save you time when the event goes live on April 29th at noon Tucson time.

I have a feeling the 16 remaining will be sold out in 60 seconds or less from the response of the other sales and the emails we have been inundated with after the presale closed on these.

Thor's Hammer Custom Leather Please do not post or PM me requests for HDS Systems, Inc. Those need to be emailed directly to HDS. Posted or private messaged special requests will be summarily denied.

Thank you, that sounds promising, looking forward to get one
    I just wanted to "ditto" Kaichu's report here, because its a common concern with titanium. I've had a lot of different Ti lights, some threads definitely much better than others. I wouldn't go so far as to say that the HDS Ti has the best Ti threads I've ever felt, they're probably not. But they are really really good, very smooth with easy engagement and practically zero slop -- easily in the top few I've had. And they're much thicker and beefier than the couple of lights that stand out in my head as "smoother". So in a way they may be the best -- the best mix of strength and smoothness? However you want to quantify such a thing, in my opinion the machinist deserves some kudos for the work done here. Its really good and should not be a concern for anyone, I'd think.

If the last 16 titanium lights are expected to sell out in less than 60 seconds, why not hold a few aside and put them up for auction after the sale to determine the market price. It will give a few of those with not so fast reflexes the opportunity to buy one and raise the value of the titanium lights already sold. No need for a response, just a thought.

Edit add: on second thought, the market price setting will happen in the open market on WTS after all the lights are sold and some people did not get them....
    Last edited by RCS1300; 04-15-2019 at 11:57 AM. Reason: Edit add..

Quote Originally Posted by RCS1300 View Post
    If the last 16 titanium lights are expected to sell out in less than 60 seconds, why not hold a few aside and put them up for auction after the sale to determine the market price. It will give a few of those with not so fast reflexes the opportunity to buy one and raise the value of the titanium lights already sold. No need for a response, just a thought.

Edit add: on second thought, the market price setting will happen in the open market on WTS after all the lights are sold and some people did not get them....
    Putting things up for auction is less fair than the "come and get it" approach. Everyone has a chance to grab one. With an auction whoever has the most money always wins.

Also an auction doesn't determine market value, it just shows that someone really has to have it.

It's also about timing, some things sell better when the timing alignment is just right. I have seen lights among other things not sell as well one week, the next week the same thing might sell even better. The interested parties just have to be around at the right time.

Just as when all these special metal runs took place, there were a lot of us here but also many others that missed out. I took a break from here for a little while to stay out of trouble, plus i started a different project. When I stopped back by, i realized I had missed out on some things, just the way it is.

Auctions are for fleabay, not here or at the hds imo. Market value is determined by the manufacturer and is clear that hds knows where they need to be to make both sides ok with the offering

That's my $0.02 on this. I'm just glad I was able to get in on the reduced price. If was tough to swallow then, i feel for the ones that pick up the remaining lights.
    I'd like to get one with the sw40 but I'm hoping I have a chance to do this on the natural ha run instead. I'd honestly like the sw40 to take the spot of the 219b r9050 but not sure that's even an option

Quote Originally Posted by emarkd View Post
    I just wanted to "ditto" Kaichu's report here, because its a common concern with titanium. I've had a lot of different Ti lights, some threads definitely much better than others. I wouldn't go so far as to say that the HDS Ti has the best Ti threads I've ever felt, they're probably not. But they are really really good, very smooth with easy engagement and practically zero slop -- easily in the top few I've had. And they're much thicker and beefier than the couple of lights that stand out in my head as "smoother". So in a way they may be the best -- the best mix of strength and smoothness? However you want to quantify such a thing, in my opinion the machinist deserves some kudos for the work done here. Its really good and should not be a concern for anyone, I'd think.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hogokansatsukan View Post
    If you go to the HDS Systems Custom Page you will see that you can configure it how you like. You can pick any emitter on the page.

I would then suggest you click "unique configuration link" at the bottom of the page, and bookmark that. This will save you time when the event goes live on April 29th at noon Tucson time.

I have a feeling the 16 remaining will be sold out in 60 seconds or less from the response of the other sales and the emails we have been inundated with after the presale closed on these.

Thanks emarkd, so I dont have to worry at all. It really seems, especially compared to the bronze and brass lights, that the titanium turned out remarkably well. For what Ive seen until now, I am really impressed and the machinist outdid himself on that run.

I could bite myself so hard for not getting one in the presale, Ive taken precautions so that I dont have to work on the 29th of april, so hopefully I can snag one. The link is already bookmarked, Im good to go. And I would actually carry it like any other aluminum HDS.

Make sure you are already logged into paypal and have your hds order preconfigured to make things quicker. However at $1300 a pop, not too sure they will move quite as quickly as the brass, but who knows

Well thats what I hope, I think they will last a few minutes at least though, but I will be quick about it.

I have the sw45 9080 in a regular HDS and it is my favorite emitter. I have never tried the sw40 or sw35, but often I find those lower than 4500k too warm for my taste, and the sw45 has a nice neutral tint and is an allround emitter, for me.

Seems a lot of folks think the same as most Tis have that same emitter.

that's because we were limited on emitter choice originally, We did not originally have the SW35/sw40 options. Also the SW45 was all the rage at this time and we all wanted to check it out. I think the majority either chose Sw45 or high noon with some that chose some of the emitters that have been a normal option for at least the previous yr and a half.

If we all had the emitter choices you will have on the 29th; I think orders would have been a bit different. Also, hogo said that he had a lot of emitter changes on orders and was nice enough to make changes...even though he clearly told us all to make sure we knew exactly what we wanted to order because there would be no changes when the sale happened. I can only imagine all the new headaches he had to deal with.

If I knew then what I know now about the current emitter offerings, and if all of them were available at the time of original preorder; I would have chosen SW45 and SW40. although I am happy having SW 35 and SW40 for my bronze and brass lights. However I am really drawn to the titanium even though they are mad money.

I'm sure you will be good to go with your order. Can't wait to have mine in my hands; hopefully it will get shipped soon.

Is there an acceptable thread lubrication for our new titanium?
    From what I read, titanium is very prone to galling, even more than aluminum.

I am a bit tentative with this light and it seems a bit rough when threading together. Perhaps it is just me.

I am a bit tentative with this light and it seems a bit rough when threading together. Perhaps it is just me.
    krytox 50/50 is my preferred lube.

I just ordered some Christo Lube MCG 111 for one of my McGizmo flashlights. I believe that is what Don uses now.

This mix of goo is what HDS puts on the threads...

Quote Originally Posted by Hogokansatsukan View Post
    This mix of goo is what HDS puts on the threads...
    Got some somewhere. Forgot about buying some with one of my lights. Now I have to find it.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast