Petzl Headlamp Question

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought my first headlamp from a local REI outlet: the 150 lumen Petzl Tikkina. I'd guess it's running an XPG2, but I can't be sure. My question has to do with battery chemistry and input voltage. They offer a custom lithium ion cell for $30, but I'm not willing to buy a $30 battery for a $20 light. Alternatively, you can run 3xAAA. Here's where I run into flashaholic over-analysis. They don't specify the input voltage.

--If I run lithium primary AAA's @1.8v each, then the total series voltage is 5.4v.
--If I run alkaline AAA's @ 1.5 each, then the total series voltage is 4.5v
--If I run NiMH AAA's @ 1.3 each, then the total series voltage is 3.9v

Will I fry the little thing @ 5.4v? I know it will run on alkalines @4.5v, but I have a zero tolerance policy for alkaleaks. While I'm quite sure that it will run on NiMH's @3.9v, I've also read that cheaper lights rely on the internal resistance of alkaline cells to limit the current to the LED. Does this mean that I'm limited to alkaline cells vs the absurdly overpriced custom lithium ion battery pack?

GoVegan

Enlightened
Hi MF

"Does this mean that I'm limited to alkaline cells vs the absurdly overpriced custom lithium ion battery pack?"

No not at all.

When in doubt check the manual, one of the cool things about Pezl, is that they are very good about listing all the working battery chemistries that their headlamps work with.

Here see the PDF:
https://www.petzl.com/US/en/Sport/CLASSIC-headlamps/TIKKINA
Headlamp compatible with AAA-LR03 alkaline, lithium, or Ni-MH rechargeable
batteries.
Headlamp also works with the rechargeable CORE battery, sold as an accessory.
Warning: if you use the CORE battery, when the battery is almost drained, the
lighting may stop fairly quickly.

Fun fact, I recall years ago one of their older models of the Tactika did warn about not being about to use standard lithium AAA batteries and that was the headlamp that most Navy SEALs would use in operations, recent models all support lithium AAA batteries these days though.
Other makers such as Inova and Streamlight sadly still only recommend alkaines only, hence I would never recommend or puchase their headlamps.

BTW maybe just a typo but:
NiMH AAA's @ 1.2 each, then the total series voltage is 3.6v

Good purchase BTW just a pity you didn't get the next model up as it would have come with a red LED too (which I personally find very useful), it should last you years, my Tikka XP is from 2011 and still in good condition even after a lot of use in all types of environments and travels with me when I'm away from home, I use mine with Eneloops.
I also recommend the Petzl eLite as a backup.

hsa

Enlightened
I have been using eneloops in my Tikkina for almost 3 years and believe it is the best way to go. They also offer a little regulation which mine doesn't have and I don't miss it. Run time is good.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, guys! Mine did not come with a manual. The card inside just says 3xAAA, while 1.5v is imprinted inside the battery compartment. I also appreciate the good word on its durability. I enjoy hand held lights, but hands free illumination is revolutionary for me.

guthrie

Newly Enlightened
I remember lending my old clunky Petzl with behind the head battery pack (Which was almost all that was available at the time) to a friend who had never used them before and he came back enthusing about how amazing it was to be able to see what he was doing!