An eager recruit for the lumen wars.

kamagong

Newly Enlightened
My daughter is a Girl Scout. Last year she received the first flashlight that was expressly her own, a yellow SureFire G2L. I figured it was a good introduction to the hobby -- solid and reliable, bright enough for her purposes, yet not so bright as to cause trouble with it. I wanted her to have a good light for her adventures, no telling what lights the troop moms have. Plus the light was inexpensive enough that it won't cause too much heartburn should she lose it.

She chose it. I was all set to take her shopping, but I already had the G2L and when she saw it she quickly and decisively said, "I want the gold one!" Done. A blue lanyard and rainbow sticker to mark it as hers and she was all set.

33680910208_495da778ca_c.jpg

Knowing her affection for "gold" lights, I offered her this old Rayovac incandescent that I had laying around unused. The look on her face as I handed it to her was not encouraging. Still, she at least deigned to turn it on. After she had pushed the switch, she was unsure if it was activated so she flipped the light around and pointed it directly at her face. :duck: The dim, golden light didn't even cause her to blink. She turned the light off unimpressed and tossed it back to me.

"No thanks, not bright enough."

Am I raising a flashlight snob?

lovecpf

Berneck1

Enlightened
Yeah, she's on her way. My son wants only my lights that have high candela. To his eye nothing is better than a blazing hot spot piercing through the night. He doesn't care if other lights can light up a larger area. Hahah. I'm considering getting him a Thrunite Catapult, but not sure I want him messing with li-ion batteries yet.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
15/600 lumens? When did that happen? My 6PX is only 15/320.[/QUOTE]

2018? Not sure when but started seeing speak of the 600 versions last year....which makes the 320 version clearance priced...

BootsAndCats

Newly Enlightened
You will know you raised a snob when she starts telling her friends that their flashlights have inferior tint. :laughing:

lunas

Enlightened
My daughter is a Girl Scout. Last year she received the first flashlight that was expressly her own, a yellow SureFire G2L. I figured it was a good introduction to the hobby -- solid and reliable, bright enough for her purposes, yet not so bright as to cause trouble with it. I wanted her to have a good light for her adventures, no telling what lights the troop moms have. Plus the light was inexpensive enough that it won't cause too much heartburn should she lose it.

She chose it. I was all set to take her shopping, but I already had the G2L and when she saw it she quickly and decisively said, "I want the gold one!" Done. A blue lanyard and rainbow sticker to mark it as hers and she was all set.

33680910208_495da778ca_c.jpg

Knowing her affection for "gold" lights, I offered her this old Rayovac incandescent that I had laying around unused. The look on her face as I handed it to her was not encouraging. Still, she at least deigned to turn it on. After she had pushed the switch, she was unsure if it was activated so she flipped the light around and pointed it directly at her face. :duck: The dim, golden light didn't even cause her to blink. She turned the light off unimpressed and tossed it back to me.

"No thanks, not bright enough."

Am I raising a flashlight snob?

lovecpf
it is at that point you ask her if she wants to make it brighter intro to customize. or sell her on keeping it with her as a loaner...