Recommend me an EDC light, 3.5 to 5" - more details inside.

rik

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

It's been a while since I was last here, and I've dropped out of the game a little. I'm not even sure of the major players anymore. Life has changed a bit for me since I last posted, and now I need a flashlight to replace one that I have loved having on me for several years - the NiteCore SRT-3, because they don't make it anymore, and my wife has stolen mine to check on the baby at night.

So, here's the template:

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?
Online only.

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)
Up to $200.

3) Format:
I want a flashlight (hand held/self contained).

4) Size:
SMALL - Every day carry (4-7 inches).

Actually, 3.5" to 6" inches seems right.

5) Emitter/Light source:
LED only.

6) Manufacturer:

____I want to buy a light from a large/traditional manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.
____I would like a light from a specialty manufacturer (Possibly limited run/Custom).
____I am interested in assembling my own components. (for example a "host" or flashlight body from one manufacturer, and a "drop-in" emitter from another source).

Any of the above, provided I don't have to solder.

7) What power source do you want to use?
I intend to use "Primary"/Disposable Lithium batteries based on the usual AAA/AA/C/D and CR123 sized cells common to most stores (often a cold weather or long storage choice).
I intend to use Rechargeable cells based on less common formats (18500 or 18650 Li-Ion, RCR123, et-al).

I have several RCR123A and a few CR123A as emergency backup. Unless everything else is right about the light, I'd prefer to stick with this.

7a) If you have selected a rechargeable option
I don't care

I am recharging outside of the light right now, but I have a USB power bank with me when camping. I have spare batteries, but being able to charge from USB is a "nice to have". A bonus, but not searched for.

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is not a happy experience).

I want to navigate a dark room or read a map (1-10 lumens).
I want an indoor "blackout" light (15-50 lumens)
I want to confidently walk around an unlit/unpaved rural area (60-150 lumens).
I want to illuminate my entire backyard or a campsite (150-300 lumens).

9) Flood vs Throw: Flood covers an area, Throw reaches out to a distance.

Wide Throw: I want a beam with a noticeable hot-center for distance throw and a significant amount of "side-spill". Good for rough trail hiking, search and rescue, and general distance work.

9a) Distance: How far away will you typically need to see with this light (check all that apply)
Less than 1 yard/meter (reading, other close work)
Less than 5 yards/meters (looking for something inside a dark shed/garage/basement)
5-20 yards/meters (check out a noise in the backyard)
30-50 yards/meters (I have a big backyard)
50-150 yards/meters (I live in a very rural area/farm with wide open spaces)

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum continuous output).

30-60 minutes (I have plenty of batteries just ready to be changed)
90-120 minutes (Runtime is moderately important, but still not critical)

I wold be happy with either of these. Most of the time the light will not be run at full power.

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box).
Critical (Police, Fire, Search & Rescue, Caving, Survival).

I wouldn't put "Critical", but I'm looking for the light that will spend the next few YEARS on my body, getting usage at least a couple of times a week, and heavy usage when I go camping. I want to put critical, but I'm not any of the examples.

12) Switch Size, Type, and location (choose all that apply):

I want a forward clicky (Helpful for momentary activation and signaling).
I want a momentary switch (Predominantly for use with signaling and short bursts of momentary light only).
I want a tail mounted switch (found on the majority of today's high end lights).

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.

I want multiple light levels. (Some lights have 5-16 light levels.)
I want a selector ring.
I want a strobe mode. (Oscillating pattern to confuse/blind aka "Police Mode")

14)Material/Finish/Coating

Anodized Aluminum – either type II or III (Hard Anodized) (Aluminum, specifically HA, is the most common material/finish for today's higher end flashlights).
Stainless steel (durable, but much heavier than aluminum)
Titanium (durable and nearly as lightweight as aluminum, but can be moderately to significantly more expensive).

15) Water resistance
IPX4 (Splash resistant)
IPX7 (Waterproof to 1 meter/30min)

IPX4 is good. I live in Seattle, so I'll be walking in the rain a lot.

16) Storage conditions
Clipped to pocket, like a knife, every single day.

17) Special Needs/extras: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Select any/all below.

(Dedicated R/G/B secondary LEDs.) -- This is downgraded to "would be nice". Red preferred, others a bonus.
Pocket/belt clip

Must have a pocket clip.

It must be carried clipped to my pocket like a knife, head down. Single CR123A or RCR123A as power source. Multiple controls entirely acceptable, to keep the forward-clicky tailcap as on/off and another control to select everything else. Continuous slider ring control for brightness of white light considered VERY desirable. Light will be held icepick style, in use, as a general guideline.

So, after that, what do we have as suggestions? I'll consider anything, but it may bring a second round of "that's interesting, but it has made me realize that I do/don't like this feature".

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic
Must have secondary color will limit your choices quite a lot.

Probably want to look at 371D engines, or maybe CWF, for that.

Most of those will likely run over budget though.

Sos24

Enlightened
If you really like the SRT3 and just want another one GPKnives still have them listed as in stock and available. That is where I bought my spare when I found out they were being discontinued.

rik

Newly Enlightened
Is rotary a hard requirement?

Given that is appears to be pretty damn rare, let's go with "no".

If you really like the SRT3 and just want another one GPKnives still have them listed as in stock and available. That is where I bought my spare when I found out they were being discontinued.

Thank you. I might make use of that, regardless of what else shows up in the thread.

Berneck1

Enlightened
You could consider getting a Streamlight Seige AA for your wife. It's a nice little lantern and has a red mode. That way you can get your SRT-3 back!

rik

Newly Enlightened
You could consider getting a Streamlight Seige AA for your wife. It's a nice little lantern and has a red mode. That way you can get your SRT-3 back!

That's a little more lanterny than I was expecting. I was hoping for a compact flashlight for her.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is rotary a hard requirement?

The HDS also would not satisfy the range requirement. 150 yards is quite a distance for pocket sized 1CR123 light. Are we talking ANSI distance? Or actual useful beam distance? That's the part that's challenging for me. Otherwise, you might find something in Zebralight's product line.

rik

Newly Enlightened
The HDS also would not satisfy the range requirement. 150 yards is quite a distance for pocket sized 1CR123 light. Are we talking ANSI distance? Or actual useful beam distance? That's the part that's challenging for me. Otherwise, you might find something in Zebralight's product line.

It's probably me being bad at judging what I need, honestly. I probably don't need that.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want a light that's still going to be working for you in ten years time it would be worth raising your budget for the HDS Rotary. Not only do Henry's lights last but he also will repair them down the line. You're not going to find that reliability and service from many manufacturers, really only HDS, Malkoff and Oveready will look after you like that.
HDS have a maximum output of 325 Lm, which is more than adequate for most things short of Air Sea rescue.
P

rik

Newly Enlightened
If you want a light that's still going to be working for you in ten years time it would be worth raising your budget for the HDS Rotary. Not only do Henry's lights last but he also will repair them down the line. You're not going to find that reliability and service from many manufacturers, really only HDS, Malkoff and Oveready will look after you like that.
HDS have a maximum output of 325 Lm, which is more than adequate for most things short of Air Sea rescue.
P

I'm with you on everything but the lack of a secondary red light, which I do use. If I'm going to spend more then I want all the features.

InvisibleFrodo

Enlightened
HDS if the selector ring is critical. The price is higher than you wanted, and as Archie pointed out, there is no secondary emitter. Also not the best options for pocket clip.
The other light that comes to mind is a Malkoff MDC. You will still lose the secondary emitter and the flashy modes. But the price is much more in line with your range. Either the 123A body with the Li-ion head, or maybe the MDC 16650 or illumination supply 16650 MDC, but you can't use your rechargeable batteries unless you use one 16340 and a cell spacer. The illumination supply hits right in the brightness ranges you seek. 10/45/225 lumens. A very good brand.

Berneck1

Enlightened
That's a little more lanterny than I was expecting. I was hoping for a compact flashlight for her.

The Eagletac lights have flip up filters to go with several of their lights. That way you can have red when you need it, and flip it up for the regular white light....

rik

Newly Enlightened
Bum, sorry forgot that bit.
P

No problem.

HDS if the selector ring is critical. The price is higher than you wanted, and as Archie pointed out, there is no secondary emitter. Also not the best options for pocket clip.
The other light that comes to mind is a Malkoff MDC. You will still lose the secondary emitter and the flashy modes. But the price is much more in line with your range. Either the 123A body with the Li-ion head, or maybe the MDC 16650 or illumination supply 16650 MDC, but you can't use your rechargeable batteries unless you use one 16340 and a cell spacer. The illumination supply hits right in the brightness ranges you seek. 10/45/225 lumens. A very good brand.

I like the Malkoff head on an Arisaka body that I like, but the lack of secondary is the killer for me. I'd give up one feature, but I'm having a hard time paying a LOT of money to replace what was an 85 dollar light.

The Eagletac lights have flip up filters to go with several of their lights. That way you can have red when you need it, and flip it up for the regular white light....

I'll look in to those in a moment, thank you.

rik

Newly Enlightened
I didn't like anything Eagletac made. :(

I've bought GPKnives' last SRT3. I'm aware that this is a stopgap, and one day I'll have to decide for real. I'm going to get in touch with the HDS people and say that's demand - at least from me - for a second, red emitter at "lowest" setting. If that becomes an option then I'll buy one of those.

archimedes

Flashaholic
.... I'm going to get in touch with the HDS people and say that's demand - at least from me - for a second, red emitter at "lowest" setting. If that becomes an option then I'll buy one of those.

Asking might work better than demanding, and HDS did make those in the past (the 85Tr model)

Sos24

Enlightened
I didn't like anything Eagletac made. :(

I've bought GPKnives' last SRT3. I'm aware that this is a stopgap, and one day I'll have to decide for real. I'm going to get in touch with the HDS people and say that's demand - at least from me - for a second, red emitter at "lowest" setting. If that becomes an option then I'll buy one of those.

I don't know if it would work for your purposes, but the Maglite AA accessory pack with rubber cap and lenses works great for when I want a red light on my HDS. It isn't incorporated into the light but works for me.