Recommend my wife a flashlight!

rik

Newly Enlightened
In parallel with my other thread ... I'm realizing that I lucked out with my SRT3, and I might just claim it back if I can find one that fits my wife's needs better.

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?

This will be mail-order or Online (location doesn't matter).

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

Up to $100.

3) Format:

I want a flashlight (hand held/self contained).

4) Size:

TINY - Every day carry (2-4 inches).
SMALL - Every day carry (4-7 inches).

The range is 2-7 inches.

5) Emitter/Light source:

LED (known for efficiency, longevity, and compactness)

My wife is prone to dropping things in the middle of the night while checking on the baby, and so hot-wires are definitely a terrible idea.

6) Manufacturer:

I want to buy a light from a large/traditional manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.
I would like a light from a specialty manufacturer (Possibly limited run/Custom).
I am interested in assembling my own components. (for example a "host" or flashlight body from one manufacturer, and a "drop-in" emitter from another source).

Commodity is most likely, here. No soldering will happen.

7) What power source do you want to use?

We have some RCR123A cells to hand, and would bias towards these.

7a) If you have selected a rechargeable option
I want a light that has a recharging adapter (your typical "wall wart")
I want a light that snaps into a cradle (usually mounted on a wall)
I want a separate/stand-alone charger (this involves removing the batteries to charge)

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is not a happy experience).

I want to navigate a dark room or read a map (1-10 lumens).
I want an indoor "blackout" light (15-50 lumens)

The actual use case here is that mini-rik is < 6 months old, and we need to check his diapers in the middle of the night to find out if that's why he's fussy.

9) Flood vs Throw: Flood covers an area, Throw reaches out to a distance.

All Flood: I am doing "arms length" tasks like reading and campsite cooking.
Wide Flood: I want a defined flood area for semi-close tasks like after-dark campsite tasks or working on a car.

All or wide.

9a) Distance: How far away will you typically need to see with this light (check all that apply)
Less than 1 yard/meter (reading, other close work)
Less than 5 yards/meters (looking for something inside a dark shed/garage/basement)

The first is the most important. The second is another use case.

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum continuous output).

90-120 minutes (Runtime is moderately important, but still not critical)

Light will mostly not be used on full power.

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

Not Important (A "night-stand" light).

Literally a night-stand light, in this case.

12) Switch Size, Type, and location (choose all that apply):

Any size switch will do.
I want a forward clicky (Helpful for momentary activation and signaling).
I want a tail mounted switch (found on the majority of today's high end lights).

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.

I want multiple light levels. (Some lights have 5-16 light levels.)

I prefer a separate on/off control to brightness/mode controls.

14)Material/Finish/Coating

I don't care.

15) Water resistance

None needed

16) Storage conditions

In house (temperature/climate controlled environment)

17) Special Needs/extras: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Select any/all below.

A secondary red LED would be a big bonus on this one. If not, then a red filter is acceptable.

LetThereBeLight!

Enlightened
Well, the Nitecore P05 comes in Pink, but I'm not sure it's gonna fit all your criteria. Likewise with Nebo's beautiful Pink Lil Lucy, though it's last mode is flashing red.

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have purchased an Olight M1T Raider for my wifie and she is absolutely happy. It is small, but not microscopic (she has a Lumintop Tool Ti high CRI, but never uses it). It is simple — two modes only. It has performance — 500 lm of clear white beam with a wide utilitarian hot spot. It is well designed — no risk of overheating at high output.

I wish they produced a copper version... but Olight rep said "no" :(