Jetbeam        
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do You Always Have a Flashlight On Your Person?

Default Do You Always Have a Flashlight On Your Person?

Some people like to keep a light stashed nearby, in a bag, etc. Some have a light in their pocket, but only when they are out of the house. I'm close to "always on my person" because I have a Nitecore Tube on my neckchain all the time, except when I'm in the shower. I suppose I need a keychain-sized light that is water resistant for those times!

I had three incidents in my life when I needed a light, but did not have one. Twice I was showering in the locker room in college when the power went out campus-wide and it was completely dark in the fieldhouse where I was. The emergency lights were only in the gym and the hallways and it was tricky making my way out of a slippery shower to my locker and then to the hallway. Another time in grad school, the power went out when I was in my lab building, which was a below ground. Again, complete, pitch darkness. That time I had a 2AAA Maglite because I had learned my lesson . . . except the batteries were dead! Never again!

Flashaholic* Crazyeddiethefirst's Avatar

Default Re: Do You Always Have a Flashlight On Your Person?

I always have a flashlight, Pen and knife at all times when possible. Once I was having a minor surgical procedure done at a surgery center. The power went off and the backup generator failed. Surgery was completed by stapling the skin closed by the direct illumination of my Preon MK II and indirect(ceiling bounce) of my PK Design Labs Pocket Rocket...

Wow! Great stories!

No, I don't always have one on my person. I fall into the category, of usually having one when out of the house (primarily, my Quantum D2 Keychain light). I am usually within 200 feet of my car, where I have other lights.

About a month ago, I had my daughter's car, and stopped at a Walmart. The power went out, and in the few seconds of total darkness, before the emergency lights came on, I realized that I didn't have MY keys, nor my D2 ! How is it that the ONE TIME that you are not prepared, the fit hits the shan?

By the time I realized that I also had a flashlight app on my phone (as other people did) the lights came back on.

At home and at work, we have emergency lighting, and my keys are then, often, out of my pocket.
    My Grand Kids call me Poppy

Except when I sleep where there is one a foot or so away.and not in the shower either.
    What are we Cavemen?

Flashlight app? One is none in that case. lol

Like others said, there are times I'm lightless. One habit I have developed is taking small steps indoors. A lot less "SURPRIIIIIISE!" there's a wall or piece of furniture...usually the corner thereof. But being a smoker means if I'm lightless in a battery operated sense there's a BiC lighter on my person most times.

At one point I carried a Streamlight Nano on a string around my neck but skin irratation caused that novelty to wear off soon after the rash developed.
    John 3:16

Yes, Photon Freedom on a SS bead chain. It's so lightweight that I don't know its there.

Yes, I always have one on me. I find that its the tool I use the most. These days it varies between an e1 incan and an EDCL1-T depending on what I am doing.

Flashaholic

Unless nude or in bed.

In bed, my Surefire 6p with M61NL is next to my firearm on the nightstand. In the shower, I usually have clothes laid out in the bathroom- and they include a light. Once I am home and changed into hanging out clothes, I have been using a Cr123 MDC body and a VME head- trying to finish off some 123s in my M31ll 219b.

Out and about it varies. Minimum is a Yuji modded photon freedom on the keys (and a spare cr123 in a delrin capsule for my main edc light) and a Malkoff lego clipped to the pocket. (Right now, the MDC SHO in CR123 on a donut shroudless body. I like my neutrals and 219 lights but the mdc head is so easy to carry this way!)

Since we are talking "on person" (mercifully) I will discuss nothing in my edc bag or get home bag or get out of dodge bags.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Crazyeddiethefirst View Post
    Surgery was completed by stapling the skin closed by the direct illumination of my Preon MK II and indirect(ceiling bounce) of my PK Design Labs Pocket Rocket...
    Were you given the Tradesman discount for providing your own illumination? 🤔

I worked in the basement of a 1930’s built aircraft plant. There were no outside influences what so ever. We were use to numerous power failures. The emergency lighting was poor at best as the lead acid batteries were constantly being cooked by overcharging.

Between the 6 cell Mag light beside my desk and the 6P on a belt sheath, I had light.
    Those that can, do. Those that can't, teach.

If I'm awake and out of bed, yes. Probably 17 hours a day, give or take.
    "Rage, rage against the dying of the light..."

Flashaholic*

I was carrying a light off and on, but had two incidents where the power went out that i didn't have my light that particular day (like a few others have responded). After that, i now always have at least one light on me, in recent years two.

Flashaholic*

Unless naked or in bed.

When I travel, I wear a red photon freedom with covert nose around my neck even when naked or in bed.

--flatline

I try to never be without a knife & a light.
    Quick story. We had a power outage at work a few weeks ago. The backup lights in the building kicked on within seconds and everyone stayed happy. Within an hour of losing power all, whatever powers the backup lights in the building for the bathrooms, stairs and other miscellaneous lights also died. Everyone at work who knows me for my lights (who also said "see we have backup lights") started changing their tune. One person who is ALWAYS negative about my lights, was the first person to drop her phone in the toilet in the dark! I couldn't stop laughing.

The S30R III that I keep sitting on my desk was a big help. I also had a couple of i3T's that I keep as giveaways...that I gave away.

Quote Originally Posted by scout24 View Post
    If I'm awake and out of bed, yes. Probably 17 hours a day, give or take.
    Same here.

I always carry my knife and pen on me and always have a light nearby. Be it in my EDC bag, Be it in the car, nightstand, work desk.

With regular, nationwide blackout, flashlights are becoming a necessary tool to carry at all times. But I haven't bothered finding a pen-sized or pocketable EDC light. I'd rather have a more powerful and longer lasting light in my bag which is basically the same thing.

Flashaholic

If I'm not bathing, I always have a torch and blade on me, even when sleeping. Actually, since I also wear a Freedom Micro on a necklace, I wear two torches (including an L3 Illuminations L10 Nichia 219) in bed, along with a Spyderco UKPK .
    The hero is one who kindles a great light in the world, who sets up blazing torches in the dark streets of life for men to see by. - Felix Adler

I used to always have my EDC items on me during the day and another flashlight always stashed near me; whether at home or work.

At my current job, “quality” thoughtlessly and foolishly decided us mechanics couldn’t have any tools with us. So I could only EDC on the way to and from work. So now I have three different EDC set ups, travel to and from work, weekend, and dress.

I hate not having my EDC items on a daily basis. There have been several times over the last year when having a bright flashlight on my person would have been more than just handy; needed for safety.

I more hate when those who don’t take the time to understand what is going on are the same ones who make the rules.

Sorry this turned into a bit of a rant.
    Enjoy the light show - LedTed

Always !

Unenlightened

Always, whether in an EDC, on my pack, or wherever... I have an emergency light handy to ensure I'm the brightest one in the room?!
    Always prepared, never scared! (with luminescence)

During waking hours, yes, at least 1 light.

...even in dishabille a flashlight is always within reach.
    Last edited by LeanBurn; 04-10-2019 at 08:33 AM.
    THRUNITE > Archer1AV2|TiS|TH20|TN4A Hi...all in neutral white
    YUJILEDS BC Series 95+ HiCRI
    > Sofirn C01|Dorcy Penlight (modded)
    XTARVC4, LCTBC500, Amaloops, 1999MAG-LITE 2D Incandescent(glass lens) ... E01

Is that a trick question?

I never leave home without this on my hip. A Malkoff MD2/M61T. An HDS Basic 42 and 2 spare cells.with this setup I have long range and maximum runtime all in one.
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

I have lights pretty much everywhere around me.

On my person, without my bags, I have 2-3. My Tange 219B on my car keys, typically my GoliathVN MK2 warm CRI, and the Olight S1R II Cu that I'm carrying for a year straight.

Today, I have added one of Vinh's new D25Cvn 50.2 w/lee filter, rustic/ full AHC, just because.

In my EDC bag, I have a C8Fvn with LH351Ds also from Vinh, and a Jetbeam PC10 in my "oh shit kit" I keep in my EDC bag (has AA/AAA lithium primaries, rubber bands, $40 ish dollars in various denominations, test strips for diabetes, sugar, and a few other things.... basically whatever little I could possible "run out of" and desperately need more on the average day). Also included, would be my Nickel 219b Worm on my main keys.

I've got a rando Skillhunt light on my desk at work, just to have a light here somewhere in the office. This will soon be replaced by my Acebeam EC65 nichia, for lots of reasons.

My car currently has my Sunwayman D20A w/ primary AAAs and an Armytek Prime A2 Pro w/ primary AAs.

This may all sound nuts, even here, but damn it's been quite a long time since I've last needed a light and didn't have one. I have no particular and spectacular story to go along with, I guess that's one of the results of being prepared!

Quote Originally Posted by thermal guy View Post

I never leave home without this on my hip. A Malkoff MD2/M61T. An HDS Basic 42 and 2 spare cells.with this setup I have long range and maximum runtime all in one.

I am quickly finding that I am 100% covered with my HDS rotary and my Overready 6P. The Archimedes peak is real!

most of the time, when i'm at work a always have my s2+ on my belt, when i i'm not at work, and drive someplace, i have several in my car, when i ride my bike, i have another s2+ on handlebars. when i'm walking on the street i have photon2 on my key chain.

Same as pretty much everyone else. If I'm not taking a shower or sleeping (lights on the nightstand) I always have at least one light in a pocket.
    Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam - Cato the Elder

In very rare situations I don’t. Like the shower situation. 99.9% of the time I do. Eagletac D3A.

Never thought much about carrying a light until the stories from those trapped in the twin towers in 2001 started to be told. From that day on at the very least, a Maratac aaa and a spare battery at all times.

Firearm, knife, light, within arms reach 24 hours a day.

If there isn’t a flashlight on my person, there is one within arms reach. But more often than not there is 1-2 in my pockets and at least one more close by.

Do I always have “A” flashlight on my person?

Heck no!

I have MORE than one on me: Lumintop Tool 2.0 in my right pocket; Nitecore Tini on my keychain; another Tini on a lanyard along with an Olight twisty (I1R EOS) when I head out at night.

And when sleeping, a Nitecore Tube on a lanyard around my neck because if I have to get up in the middle of the night the Tube won’t wake me up the way a lamp does.

Yup, CPF is the only place I feel “normal”. :-)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast