1D Flashlight Kit by Maratac

thermal guy

Flashaholic
So I have wanted a 1D light for awhile now and these finial became available again. Runs off of a1D or 4AA in a holder but think I remember reading somewhere that you can use just about anything up to 4.2 volts. 18650,16650 etc. anyone got one of these things and can add some insight? Thanks

fmc1

Enlightened
That looks like a light that I really want to add to my already too big collection. Thanks for the info. Now I'll try to answer your question.

A lot depends on what that 4xAA holder does with the 4 AA's. There are only three possibilities, 4P, 4S or 2P 2S. Since the output is different using 1D or 4AA's. I doubt it's a 4P configuration because the voltage is the same 1.5V so the light would need some type of mechanism to detect the presence of the holder like a magnet, mechanical switch or whatever. So 4P won't help you if you want to use an 18650, too much voltage. 2P 2S you might also have the same problem, even if you use 4 brand new lithium primaries. That would be about 3.6V in a 2P 2S configuration, depending on the driver voltage range, with an 18650 you might pop it or you might not. However I do believe you have the best shot with 2P 2S 3.6V vs. 4.2V is often within tolerance. If it's 4S then for sure the driver won't pop but who knows what the output will be, it's ready for 7.2V but you are only giving it 4.2V.

Frank

thermal guy

Flashaholic
It has to be arranged in some sort of Series in the holster. As you can see with 4- AA it's much brighter.so must be getting more voltage.but I'm dumb when it comes to this crap.

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really like mine but have only run it on a D cell which is really the reason I got it too.
It is handy to have Eneloops or L91s loaded in the carrier and ready to go but I have only used it camping or from the car with a D like I said.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Yes I got it specifically because it can use a single D cell and also 4-AA. Definitely Going in my GHB.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
I see they have a limited run of C cell models for sale now that can take a C cell or 4-AA.Is that a misprint? Can you fit 4-AA In a c body?

scout24

Flashaholic
I wish these had something like a 5-10 lumen low mode.

It appears the "1C" version has a battery holder for four AAA cells.

Last edited:

thermal guy

Flashaholic
I also just saw that disclaimer stated not to run high powered rechargeable batteries in it. So guess that answers my question. Was really just curious about that. Having the availability to run 1D or 4-AA is plenty good enough.

scout24

Flashaholic
AA's are longer than AAA or C cells, so I'm thinking not.

The 1C is showing 1/2" shorter, and 3/10 of an inch smaller in diameter

Last edited:

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Oh ok I missed a post or two. Yep the picture shows AAA In the holder. So looks like the c takes 3 or 4 AAA not AA.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Yep see post 6. My 1-D is being delivered as we speak. I'll let you all know what I think of it.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
The C cell version looks like a nice form factor, though if I had one, I would probably just run it on a single AA Eneloop in a spacer rather than 4 AAA's or C's.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
i have build several short maglites that work with 1D cell. but i gave all of them away to friends and family.

1D powered light is really not much different than 1AA as far as output, 1x 18650 light will be smaller , lighter, and much brighter than a light powered by alkaline D, sure you can use 2 or 4 AA cells, and have much brighter output, but so can 18650 light, while being much smaller and lighter.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Initial impressions are that this is a dam good light.square threads on the tail end anodizing looks good and it has a solid feel to it.pretty dam bright on high with a D cell and very bright on high with 4-AA. I did measure 6.5 volts A crossed the battery carrier so they are in series I guess

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
i have build several short maglites that work with 1D cell. but i gave all of them away to friends and family.

1D powered light is really not much different than 1AA as far as output, 1x 18650 light will be smaller , lighter, and much brighter than a light powered by alkaline D, sure you can use 2 or 4 AA cells, and have much brighter output, but so can 18650 light, while being much smaller and lighter.
Except for the D cell having a lot more runtime than a single AA in any mode.
This is the reason that I got mine.